Ask Carnival Corp’s CEO: Call for Questions for Josh Weinstein

CCAubs

Is there a possibility of returning the evening turn down service? I began cruising in 1995 with my 2 best friends, celebrating our first year as nurses. my last cruise was in 2014. life happened and so did  10 years of missing out on cruising. but i have booked my cruise for March 2024. now i  found out there is no turn down service any longer. and that is really sad.  I just love going out for the evening, dressing up nicer than usual, dining out, catching a show, a little gambling, dancing. then returning back to my cabin with just a single light turned on, bed made, chocolate on the pillow and the room just smelled so fresh. turn down is a part of the cruise that makes a cruise vacation just a little more special than any other kind of vacation. 

• Like 3

On 2/16/2023 at 8:18 AM, BasicSailor said:

Do away with the loyalty program. Placing people on Pedi stools does wonder for their egos.

We all sit on the pot the same way 😇

It's not about ego; it's about keeping people who cruise cruising with the same line.  It's easier and cheaper to keep an existing customer happy than to get a new one.

• Like 4

On 2/16/2023 at 10:04 AM, ninjacat123 said:

When will gratuities become automatic?  I think the Carnival crew deserve to have guaranteed gratuities with the service I have received over 10 years of cruising and 21 cruises under my belt.  If a passenger isn't happy, they should report it to Guest Services so it can be detailed and fixed, not pulling all their gratuities.

Never happen.  Do you know the definition of "gratuity"?  What you're suggesting is a service fee which would have financial ramifications for both the line and the employees.  You do you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/15/2023 at 1:38 PM, ontheweb said:

Why are you disregarding passenger safety by not going back to the real muster drill? Have you any proof that the new e-muster is effective? You have taken away all the other Covid changes like requiring up to date vaccinations and Covid testing, why not go back to the tried and true muster drill for safety purposes if you are in effect saying Covid is no longer a worry?

Please don’t make us go back to original muster drill. Technology allows us to adapt and change. I retain more from the e-muster and don’t want to be crammed into the original muster gathering (And it has nothing to do with Covid).

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Guest BasicSailor
8 hours ago, ninjacat123 said:

I think you're right, that they are statements, rather than questions.

I actually thought this thread was a joke and would be deleted, but then there was a sticky pen place on it. When has Carnival ever listen to their loyal customers? 🤐?

14 hours ago, BasicSailor said:

...Our special number for calling guest services is nonexistent, and to be honest guest services never even bother to answer in the past.

Isn't that the case... how in the world am I supposed to RSVP to the number on my Diamond Event invite when it just rings and rings (I'm talking 20-30 rings multiple times throughout the day). I've noticed that on 3-4 different ships. Waaaay back in the day, it was answered promptly. Now, it's a waste of time. They (guest services) claim, when I bring this to their attention, that they've "never had any problems with the line". Yeah, right...

Tom

• Like 2

10 hours ago, ninjacat123 said:

I think you're right, that they are statements, rather than questions.

Cruise (soapbox) Critic ---- yes indeed!  It's where I go to not only gather info, but to offer suggestions, give info, and VENT !  🙂

Tom

• Haha 1

On 2/16/2023 at 11:18 AM, BasicSailor said:

Do away with the loyalty program. Placing people on Pedi stools does wonder for their egos.

We all sit on the pot the same way 😇

LOL. Maybe I can get points for the 3.5 YEARS worth of days at 75 days at a time I spent under the water on Submarines. Will that transfer over?? LOL

• Like 1

On 2/18/2023 at 8:55 AM, BasicSailor said:

I actually thought this thread was a joke and would be deleted, but then there was a sticky pen place on it. When has Carnival ever listen to their loyal customers? 🤐?

This same basic question has been asked and stickied on several cruise line boards.  The OP is a member of CC's staff and is legitimately gathering questions for a Q&A session that features all the CEOs of our favorite cruise lines.  I remain hopeful that some of these Qs will be asked; I think they would make for interesting and informative answers.

11 hours ago, dcwalker said:

Are there plans to keep any smaller ships at sea, Legend class? Are there any left from the class Ecstasy was in? If so can they be kept around?

I have no public opinion on your other questions, but the remaining Ecstasy-class ships are Elation and Paradise.  I'm pretty sure Mr. Weinstein would know them like his kids' birthdays.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, dcwalker said:

Are there plans to keep any smaller ships at sea, Legend class? Are there any left from the class Ecstasy was in? If so can they be kept around?

Legend is in the Spirit class. We don't have to worry about them leaving the fleet for 10 years. Ecstasy was in the Fantasy class, Elation and Paradise are in this class too. I think they can stay around through the end of the decade.

27 minutes ago, CarnivalShips480 said:

Legend is in the Spirit class. We don't have to worry about them leaving the fleet for 10 years. Ecstasy was in the Fantasy class, Elation and Paradise are in this class too. I think they can stay around through the end of the decade.

With other lines I'd say they'd scrap 'em. Though, at this point with Carnival not lining up future builds - they may just hold on to them. If they're turning a profit on those tubs, stick with it.

Tom

• Like 1

"it appears with the lack of crew, that pay increases will be needed to get the ships fully staffed again.  Would carnival consider a more transparent discretionary service charge, to alleviate the confusion as to who passengers are giving money to and why?"

20 hours ago, resetjet said:

"it appears with the lack of crew, that pay increases will be needed to get the ships fully staffed again. 

I think this is a pretty big assumption. What's your evidence? From everything I have seen, in many countries acruise ship job is highly coveted and pays much better than any job most people could get at home. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, staceyglow said:

I think this is a pretty big assumption. What's your evidence? From everything I have seen, in many countries acruise ship job is highly coveted and pays much better than any job most people could get at home. 

I cruise once a month.  No ship either royal or carnival has adequate staff.

6 hours ago, resetjet said:

I cruise once a month.  No ship either royal or carnival has adequate staff.

Typically speaking, the more expensive the fare, the higher the crew/passenger ratio. Mardi Gras is staffed at 0.328 crew per passenger when at double occupancy (1,735/5,282); this past week it was more like 0.275 to 1 as the ship was sailing at just under 6,300 passengers.

Wonder of the Seas is at 0.401 to 1 at double occupancy, and would be at 0.329 to 1 at maximum occupancy (2,300/6,988).

Norwegian Prima is close to 0.5 to 1 (1,506/3,099) at double occupancy. I couldn't find a total occupancy figure for Prima.

Celebrity and Princess don't really fit the pattern, as their ratios are closer to Carnival's and Royal's, but the closer you get to high-end luxury pricing (i.e., Viking) the crew:passenger ratio often meets or even exceeds 1:1.

10 hours ago, staceyglow said:

Still doesn't prove that the cause is inadequate pay. 

Another thing to consider when looking at lack of crew is how many former crew members now found other jobs. And those other jobs might not pay as much, but they also do not force you to be away from your family for 6 months.

• Like 1