Formal night dress code?

realtrip

On a Pacific cruise out of Sydney and didn't bring a jacket.....it's the Pacific for goodness sake!. I was stunned to see so many people dressed up, some to the nines, with lots of suits, ties and gowns.

Consequently, we chickened out on the MDRs that night. Even though I  didn't think the staff would care. Next time will throw in a jacket! 

• Like 2

On 2/16/2023 at 11:05 AM, realtrip said:

Hello,

We will be doing our first transatlantic cruise. We are hoping to travel light. I have a few great cocktail dresses that pack well and don't take room. But, hubby's dinner jacket takes so much room! Is there any way we can dine in the dining room on formal night if he wears a nice shirt and tie? Or do we absolutely need a dinner jacket?

We will be on Sky Princess November 10 2023. Thank you for your help!

On our first transatlantic I wore a suit and tie and fit in.  On our second transatlantic I wore a "business standard" blue sport coat, slacks, and tie and felt a little out of place relative to what others were wearing.

When packing for cruises I've found that shoes take up the most space, followed by jeans for casual wear. Perhaps you could take less and leave room for hubby's dinner jacket?  Just a thought.

On 2/18/2023 at 5:16 AM, CeCe_ said:

Our life is on the formal side, and my husband loves suits.  I will look the best of me on formal nights and so will my husband. 

Not everyone lives their life in that fashion and Princess has come to accept it recently. 

Enjoy whatever makes you feel comfortable. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MissP22 said:

Not everyone lives their life in that fashion and Princess has come to accept it recently. 

Enjoy whatever makes you feel comfortable. 

Not your life in fashion obviously.  There is no need for you to retrospect it again. 

Edited by CeCe_
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

Your DH will be fine without a jacket. We eat all dinners in the MDR and my DH stopped packing a suit or jacket a few years ago. I still dress up, but he wears dress pants, and a nice long sleeved button down shirt, sometimes with a tie. He says that as the quality of the MDR food has gone down, “I don’t want to be overdressed for the food”. 😂 

Edited by sunviking90
  • Like 2
  • Haha 6

4 hours ago, sunviking90 said:

Your DH will be fine without a jacket. We eat all dinners in the MDR and my DH stopped packing a suit or jacket a few years ago. I still dress up, but he wears dress pants, and a nice long sleeved button down shirt, sometimes with a tie.

This is the reality of Princess.  It suggests certain dress on Formal nights but by no means does it require what it suggests.  Do not worry about dressing to the nines and just enjoy your cruise.  

It will not matter what you wear no matter what anyone else wears either.  Most passengers pay no attention to what others are wearing it seems anyway.  Much ado about nothing. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Broadside said:

Princess Cruise Lines , to maintain standards uniformally,  has the same dress code for all ships and itineraries

Princess do not have any designated casual cruises despite what some on here would try and wrongly claim

WHAT??????

Brought to you from the land of make believe!

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Broadside said:

Princess Cruise Lines , to maintain standards uniformally,  has the same dress code for all ships and itineraries

Princess do not have any designated casual cruises despite what some on here would try and wrongly claim

And here we go to 300+ posts. And nothing will change.  Again

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Lady Arwen said:

The Princess boards will never change as long as the same people keep regurgitating the same old arguments.  I’m actually enjoying the other cruise line boards.  Very interesting conversation without one word about what is considered acceptable attire.  Adults who can converse about things that we really care about.  Who would have thought that was possible!

So, carry on with this thread my friends, I’m headed back to civilization.

It could very well be because the dressed down standards is still relatively new to Princess and other than word of mouth or reading it on a few bulletin boards is the only way to get to the truth.

Enjoy the civilized cruise lines.

• Like 1

One fails to understand the purpose of members portending their lack of interest and intention not to comment on this thread - and doing so by commenting further on this thread 

One can only wonder who appointed these members to be the cruise critic forum topic police ,  apparently they seem to operate alongside the cruise critic forum thread post counter monitors 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Just took my first Princess cruise last week.  Wore dress pants with a shirt and tie.  I like wearing a tie, won't wear a dress shirt without one.  I was more dressy than 80% of the male passengers.  Most common was just long pants, a collared shirt with no tie.  There was a handful wearing suits, some with sport coats and no ties.  There was one or two people wearing ball caps, and one gentlemen wearing what looked be be a naval officers hat.  I'm not aware of anyone's food tasting differently due to the presence of the caps.

Anyway, just wearing a collared dress shirt is enough to not stand out or look out of place, if that is what your concern is.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Stosh68 said:

Just took my first Princess cruise last week.  Wore dress pants with a shirt and tie.  I like wearing a tie, won't wear a dress shirt without one.  I was more dressy than 80% of the male passengers.  Most common was just long pants, a collared shirt with no tie.  There was a handful wearing suits, some with sport coats and no ties.  There was one or two people wearing ball caps, and one gentlemen wearing what looked be be a naval officers hat.  I'm not aware of anyone's food tasting differently due to the presence of the caps.

Anyway, just wearing a collared dress shirt is enough to not stand out or look out of place, if that is what your concern is.

Out if interest, where was the cruise?  Not Europe,  obviously at this time of year,  as passengers tend to dress more formally on European cruises. 

Edited by wowzz
  • Like 1

Just now, Stosh68 said:

If this is what makes you happy and comfortable, don’t let anyone try to bully you into something else. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Out if interest, where was the cruise?  Not Europe,  obviously at this time of year,  as passengers tend to dress more formally on European cruises. 

No, it was a cruise out of San Diego, to Meixco and back.

Personally, I don't care what people wear.  My only intention was to answer the question in how believe the typical person is asking it, as in "I only have so much room in my suitcase and what do I need to wear to 'fit in' without looking terribly out of place."

I have no desire to wade into the debate over dress codes, enforcement of said dress codes and how some people's entire lives have been ruined due to a NY Mets cap being worn during a formal night. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

I suspect that they might draw the line at bib type overalls for the men and daisy duke shorts for the women but I am not sure if even those would create a problem.  As an aside you would not want to see most of the women most of the women on the cruise in daisy dukes including my wife.

DON

1 minute ago, donaldsc said:

I suspect that they might draw the line at bib type overalls for the men and daisy duke shorts for the women but I am not sure if even those would create a problem.  As an aside you would not want to see most of the women most of the women on the cruise in daisy dukes including my wife.

DON

We were on an Alaska cruise this summer in Club Class and two couples who could obviously care what other thought about what they wore, did wear bib overalls to the dining room a couple of times and were warmly greeted by the wait staff in Club Class.  Seen it all!  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Stosh68 said:

No, it was a cruise out of San Diego, to Meixco and back.

Personally, I don't care what people wear.  My only intention was to answer the question in how believe the typical person is asking it, as in "I only have so much room in my suitcase and what do I need to wear to 'fit in' without looking terribly out of place."

I have no desire to wade into the debate over dress codes, enforcement of said dress codes and how some people's entire lives have been ruined due to a NY Mets cap being worn during a formal night. 

But was the cap worn the way caps are supposed to be worn or backwards.  I don't know why it is and it makes absolutely no sense but I have an irrational hatred of baseball caps worn backwards.  The brim of a cap is supposed to block the sun and it does a good job for that.  The only problem w caps worn correctly is that if you are taking a vertical picture with a real camera and not a cell phone camera you have to turn the cap sideways.  What problem does the sun hitting the back of your neck cause?  Just a bit of a meaningless rant.

DON