Housekeeping moving to once a day?

Donsyb

3 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

Doing what exactly? There are no similar jobs and apparently all the other departments are staffed at the required levels.

Other duties as assigned like roving cleaners in public areas. Washing dishes. Working in the laundry. 

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Other duties as assigned like roving cleaners in public areas. Washing dishes. Working in the laundry. 

Exactly.  Also covering ended contracts that weren't filled for one reason or another, if no qualifications and certifications are required.  

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Only makes sense if those departments are understaffed, and/or Royal wishes to increase the level of service from current levels 

• Haha 1

Just now, Toddcan said:

Only makes sense if those departments are understaffed, and/or Royal wishes to increase the level of service from current levels 

Just my opinion. Wages and workload, that's between RC and their employees. 

On 2/18/2023 at 3:47 PM, Cruise5life said:

Who really needs service 2x a day?  
I know you’re on vacation but really.   Are you that messy?

I make my own bed when I get up. I’m up early and hate a messy bed and don’t like looking at it p, takes 2 minutes.  
only thing I use services for is ice every other day.  
Put your ice bucket in the cooler so it stays cold and lasts longer.  
who gets new towels every day at home?    

why waste there time with new towels every day.

And backing up the laundry.   I ask for new towels mid cruise 

but that’s me.   But man I see some messy cabins. That’s for sure.  

This is true but misses a key point of cruising - It's opulent, it's luxury, it's about being spoilt, it's about the fun, the laziness, the doing what you want. There are many things on a ship you really don't need, nor need to do, nor to have done for you - but isn't that part of the attraction, for some, manybe only once or twice in their lifetime.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, DUBIDUB2 said:

This is true but misses a key point of cruising - It's opulent, it's luxury, it's about being spoilt, it's about the fun, the laziness, the doing what you want. There are many things on a ship you really don't need, nor need to do, nor to have done for you - but isn't that part of the attraction, for some, manybe only once or twice in their lifetime.

I am doing what I want.  
I am being lazy.  

I am being spoiled.   

I just don’t need someone in my room to make my bed that I’ve already made at 6 am.   Or to turn it down for me at what ever time.     
I don’t have to put my valuables away and worry what the steward came in contact with when cleaning the  30 other rooms.     

does it ruin my experience.    
Not in one way.   

I have a routine when I cruise.  
And after tons of cruises it has effected me in one bit.  

2 hours ago, davekathy said:

Who’s doing those jobs now? They are certainly not going to increase headcount in areas that don’t generate income. Why should they? They are sailing at close to 100% and pricing is near an all time high and they are still $20 billion in debt.  Even if they ever get that debt paid, this will be the new normal, get used to it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 2/18/2023 at 2:47 PM, Cruise5life said:

who gets new towels every day at home?    

why waste there time with new towels every day. 

Ohhhh ohhhhhh ohhhhh, I do, I do.  Sometimes 3 or 4 times a day.  I love a fresh towel when I get out of the shower.  YMMV. 

For General Consumption:

I won't criticize if you use the same towel for more than one shower/bath.  Don't criticize me for using a towel once and then washing it.  Actually, we wash towels about once a week, we have plenty.  But, if I run out of towels before the usual wash schedule, we just wash 'em early, but that hasn't happened.  

I don't care about 2x services a day.  I just want extra towels if I don't get 2x service, period.  Why is this so controversial?  I don't understand.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, grandgeezer said:

Who’s doing those jobs now? They are certainly not going to increase headcount in areas that don’t generate income. Why should they? They are sailing at close to 100% and pricing is near an all time high and they are still $20 billion in debt.  Even if they ever get that debt paid, this will be the new normal, get used to it.

Just my opinion. I don't concern myself with their job security, workload or pay. That's between RC and their employees. When RC isn't a value for us service and cost we'll move along. 

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

Or are they putting them to work elsewhere?

Well they have been pretty short.  So they are redeploying staff. Not all ships are once a day yet,  but as they are able to move staff around,  it should equal out. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Cruise5life said:

I am doing what I want.  
I am being lazy.  

I am being spoiled.   

I just don’t need someone in my room to make my bed that I’ve already made at 6 am.   Or to turn it down for me at what ever time.     
I don’t have to put my valuables away and worry what the steward came in contact with when cleaning the  30 other rooms.     

does it ruin my experience.    
Not in one way.   

I have a routine when I cruise.  
And after tons of cruises it has effected me in one bit.  

In your case, I don't think that you need a cabin attendant.  Maybe Royal should have 2 pricing gratuity system-- gratuity with cabin attendant @ 2X daily service and one with no cabin attendant.  There are many that are chiming in that they make/refresh their own beds, use ratty bath towels multiple times, put dishes out and don't seem to care whether their bathroom is cleaned or freshened.😆

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, nelblu said:

In your case, I don't think that you need a cabin attendant.  Maybe Royal should have 2 pricing gratuity system-- gratuity with cabin attendant @ 2X daily service and one with no cabin attendant.  There are many that are chiming in that they make/refresh their own beds, use ratty bath towels multiple times, put dishes out and don't seem to care whether their bathroom is cleaned or freshened.😆

How many time do you clean your bathroom a week at home?   

Do you change your towel every day?

I clean my bathroom once a week at home.   
I change my towels as needed.  Every few days.  

I don’t leave dishes in the halls.
Unless my steward say to. As they sometimes don’t have room for them on their carts.  

and is still don’t mind paying my daily gratuities.  
They work very hard.    

Most of them anyway.   

but nice snarky reply.     

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Cruise5life said:

As needed.  Which means, every time it's used.  We clean the sink after brushing teeth, wipe down the tub/shower to keep from having water spots.  Brush any resadue from the toilet.  Put everything back in their place.

After every shower/bath.  NOTE:  That may change as we are getting older and it is getting harder and harder to do so much laundry.  

Unless my steward say to. As they sometimes don’t have room for them on their carts.

We don't leave dishes in the hall either.  But, depending on who you talk to, some of the crew prefers that the dishes be left in the hall.  I must say that I have cruised on some ships where if the dishes aren't left in the hall, they may not be removed from the cabin until you make mention of it with your steward.   

They work very hard.    

Most of them anyway.   

but nice snarky reply.     

I understand you didn't quote me.  But, this is a discussion board.

As a side note, we also vacuum the entire home every other day.  One time by a real vacuum and the other time by our robot. 

None of my comments are directed as a criticism of you and how much you clean your home or body.  It's just the way we do it.  I'm a product of my mother, a super clean busy body (meant in a loving way).  Back in the day, when people smoked in their homes and every end table had ashtrays on them, my mom would get up and empty the ashtray after every ash was put in it and after every cigarette was smashed in it.  Dishes were never stacked anywhere, they were washed immediately after the meal or other usages.  Bathrooms were cleaned from top to bottom every day they were used, if not used, they were at least dusted down.  My wife and my mom are those that have to make the bed(s) every day, every morning.   YMMV 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Cruise5life said:

They work very hard.    

Most of them anyway.   

but nice snarky reply.     

I'm on vacation and had certain expectations based on when I booked my cruise(s).  If this and the new menu was known to me at time of booking, I would have certain reservations.  Your expectation is much lesser than mine, and let's leave it at that. 

Ps.I don't recycle bath towels at home and after taking a shower the towels get placed in the laundry basket.🤣  

And if this was the intent on Royal's part, the optics of both the new menu and the cabin  had the nerve to increase the daily grats.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/5/2023 at 11:34 AM, sjb317 said:

I said we would be leaving as soon as  my husband got his shoes on😂 and she could come in then.😂

This morning I over heard another steward telling his guests cleaning hours were between 830 to 1230 and 4 to 6, so explains why she seemed unhappy.  She did not give us any hours for cleaning. 

Sherri🙂

So if that is the case, I wonder if we can request late morning or late “evening” (we have early dinner-so would have to be after we leave for dinner)?  We love to sleep in/lay around in the mornings. Have always had steward come late morning and then when we left for dinner. Do they still have the magnets to indicate you are in the room or if it is empty?  I don’t like the idea of once a day but would at least like it when it is convenient to me rather than the cruise line. 

3 hours ago, Cruise5life said:

They work very hard.    

Most of them anyway.   

but nice snarky reply.     

You still don't get it.  Probably never will.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, grandgeezer said:

They've honestly increased the amount of public area cleaners since they resumed cruising.

At least in my observations. 

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Ret MP said:

Ohhhh ohhhhhh ohhhhh, I do, I do.  Sometimes 3 or 4 times a day.  I love a fresh towel when I get out of the shower.  YMMV. 

For General Consumption:

I won't criticize if you use the same towel for more than one shower/bath.  Don't criticize me for using a towel once and then washing it.  Actually, we wash towels about once a week, we have plenty.  But, if I run out of towels before the usual wash schedule, we just wash 'em early, but that hasn't happened.  

I don't care about 2x services a day.  I just want extra towels if I don't get 2x service, period.  Why is this so controversial?  I don't understand.  

Royal has been asking us to reuse towels since before covid

#savethewaves

7 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Royal has been asking us to reuse towels since before covid

#savethewaves

Yes.  I also remember when they used to change bed sheets every morning, and hotels too.  I really can't remember if my memory is from Rustbucket or RCCL.  But, then they come up with putting a card or something like that to put on the bed requesting sheet change or not to change sheets, and now we have evolved into changing sheets only once or twice during a 7 or 8-day cruise, not sure about that schedule.  

RCCL may request that I reuse a towel but that doesn't stop me from getting fresh towels when I want them.  

The corporate definition of "Sustainability" is:  Reduce services and products while raising the prices/fees.  I'm a total capitalist but I don't like it when they pee down back and tell me it's raining.  

• Like 3

You probably don't care, but what about all the water and electricity you use by washing your towels after each use?  Do you do your laundry and vacuum during off-peak hours (e.g. late an night)?  Perhaps we are a little more sensitive to the water and electricity use here in Southern California.

Per the Oxford Dictionary.
noun: sustainability
  1. the ability to be maintained at a certain rate or level.
    "the sustainability of economic growth"
    • avoidance of the depletion of natural resources in order to maintain an ecological balance.
      "the pursuit of global environmental sustainability"
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, czrunner said:
You probably don't care, but what about all the water and electricity you use by washing your towels after each use?  Do you do your laundry and vacuum during off-peak hours (e.g. late an night)?  Perhaps we are a little more sensitive to the water and electricity use here in Southern California.

Per the Oxford Dictionary.
noun: sustainability
  1. the ability to be maintained at a certain rate or level.
    "the sustainability of economic growth"
    • avoidance of the depletion of natural resources in order to maintain an ecological balance.
      "the pursuit of global environmental sustainability"

Do you really think people wash one towel at a time? Once or twice a week the towels get washed with the rest of the laundry. No big extra use of water or electricity.🙄

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2