Flow Rider, how strict on height to stand up?

I want to set expectations accordingly.   GD is a competitive gymnast, heavily muscled with amazing balance.  However, as most, is small for her age.  Just realized she’s almost an inch under the height requirement to stand on RCCL’s flow rider.  😮 Told her to hang from the bars longer in the next few months to try to stretch lol

With her mastery of balance, is quite proficient at using flow rider.  We haven’t experienced a height restriction anywhere on land, in the past.  The operators just normally ‘size up’ her abilities after a go of boogie boarding and have let her stand for the last 5 years, if not longer.

i do realize the height requirement is there for a reason aboard the ships.  IMO it’s not the best indicator as body types and ability can differ wildly within the same height & age bracket.  Always, safety first, especially in athletics.  

Curious if anyone has experienced a bit of wiggle room as to height for their teens when using the flow rider aboard RCCL?

Highly unlikely.  They don’t even let folks do stand up anymore unless they can do it without help you n their first try.  They are way more strict on flowrider stuff since Covid.   I’d be very surprised if the they let her go.  

Condition and fitness is irrelevant to their concerns.  Anyone can get get hurt on the flowrider.  If she did they would be 100% liable.  If a staff member gave her a band in spite of her being too small and she got hurt, that person themselves could be liable and surely lose their job.  

I’d prepare her for it not happening and I probably wouldn’t put someone in that position.  If you got what you wanted (that she got a band and could ride when she was too small) you are now putting someone’s job at risk if she got hurt.  And believe me, even folks very good on the flowrider can and do get hurt.  I’ve witnessed many small kids (probably just big enough) get slammed to the back wall and require medical attention.  

I wouldn’t do it myself.  FYI.  My daughter is very close to the height.  I won’t try it until she is officially tall enough.  It isn’t a roller coaster where you just sit and ride.  I can’t wait till she can ride with me, but I’ll wait until she is tall enough.  

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, keishashadow said:

I want to set expectations accordingly.   GD is a competitive gymnast, heavily muscled with amazing balance.  However, as most, is small for her age.  Just realized she’s almost an inch under the height requirement to stand on RCCL’s flow rider.  😮 Told her to hang from the bars longer in the next few months to try to stretch lol

With her mastery of balance, is quite proficient at using flow rider.  We haven’t experienced a height restriction anywhere on land, in the past.  The operators just normally ‘size up’ her abilities after a go of boogie boarding and have let her stand for the last 5 years, if not longer.

i do realize the height requirement is there for a reason aboard the ships.  IMO it’s not the best indicator as body types and ability can differ wildly within the same height & age bracket.  Always, safety first, especially in athletics.  

Curious if anyone has experienced a bit of wiggle room as to height for their teens when using the flow rider aboard RCCL?

Restrictions are set by the manufacture of ride attractions (flow rider is a ride).  If the owner of the ride decides to break the restrictions, than the owner is liable for large lawsuits.  Now your GD already knows at her age the importance of safety, so I'm sure she will understand.  

• Like 2

13 hours ago, keishashadow said:

IMO it’s not the best indicator as body types and ability can differ wildly within the same height & age bracket.  Always, safety first, especially in athletics.  

Maybe however height is the only one that is quantitative, the others are subjective and that is what they eliminate when posting restrictions.

On 2/19/2023 at 7:52 PM, topnole said:

And believe me, even folks very good on the flowrider can and do get hurt.  I’ve witnessed many small kids (probably just big enough) get slammed to the back wall and require medical attention.  

Oh, I’ve seen kids & adults alike take that wild ride backwards when they lose their balance.  All arms and legs flailing about, never pretty.  However, haven’t personally viewed obvious injuries other than a bruised ego.  I do cringe when I watch parental figures cajoling their very reluctant appearing kids to try it out.  Sadly, they are usually the ones who do seem to tank the most.  However, I’ve also seen fit looking people on cruises randomly face plant, seemingly falling over their own feet on cruises, multiple times 😮…balance, medical issue, over served, who can say?

Even tho small in height for her age, she has the weight of her taller friends due to very low body fat/muscles being dense.  It’s very common in gymnasts when conditioned for competition.   Other than amusement park attractions, where you often physically need the height to meet safety requirements as to seating; I don’t quite get the specific height requirement RCCL chose for a water feature.  However, it’s their equipment, their rules, their ship.  it doesn’t really matter if it’s an arbitrary number or fact based by the manufacturer. Just wondering if the stated height was loosely enforced or not.   

As soon as I found out they use 58 inches, made her aware of the height requirement.  There was no argument from her, nor will there be if turned away.  Just not how our family rolls lol.  Even so, she asked if she could be measured when onboard JIK, which is absolutely fine by me.   She is very self-disciplined & well versed in waiting to be able to ride the most aggressive theme park coasters.  That magical number is generally 56 inches, which is what threw us off, thought it was pretty much industry wide.

Thanks for the input!

Edited by keishashadow
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, keishashadow said:

Oh, I’ve seen kids & adults alike take that wild ride backwards when they lose their balance.  All arms and legs flailing about, never pretty.  However, haven’t personally viewed obvious injuries other than a bruised ego.  I do cringe when I watch parental figures cajoling their very reluctant appearing kids to try it out.  Sadly, they are usually the ones who do seem to tank the most.  However, I’ve also seen fit looking people on cruises randomly face plant, seemingly falling over their own feet on cruises, multiple times 😮…balance, medical issue, over served, who can say?

Even tho small in height for her age, she has the weight of her taller friends due to very low body fat/muscles being dense.  It’s very common in gymnasts when conditioned for competition.   Other than amusement park attractions, where you often physically need the height to meet safety requirements as to seating; I don’t quite get the specific height requirement RCCL chose for a water feature.  However, it’s their equipment, their rules, their ship.  it doesn’t really matter if it’s an arbitrary number or fact based by the manufacturer. Just wondering if the stated height was loosely enforced or not.   

As soon as I found out they use 58 inches, made her aware of the height requirement.  There was no argument from her, nor will there be if turned away.  Just not how our family rolls lol.  Even so, she asked if she could be measured when onboard JIK, which is absolutely fine by me.   She is very self-disciplined & well versed in waiting to be able to ride the most aggressive theme park coasters.  That magical number is generally 56 inches, which is what threw us off, thought it was pretty much industry wide.

Thanks for the input!

I see some arm twisting and begging on deck still. Most probably by parents.

11 hours ago, keishashadow said:

Thanks for the input!

She can do the boggie board at 52 inches fyi.  So at least she can do something.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, keishashadow said:

Thanks for the input!

And fyi.  If you aren’t able to load yourself into the wave and comfortably carve back and forth, they wouldn’t even let you do stand up on my last cruise.  
In fact, they made me ride twice before “blessing” me with the band and I’m certainly on the more advanced side.  

So even if she was tall enough, she would have to demonstrate she is advanced to ride.  It’s a weird rule and a complete 180 from pre Covid times, but one now had to be more than just proficient and be able to stand up.  They have to show they have very good control (basically needing to be advanced).  The standard could vary by ship, but that was my last two cruise experiences post Covid.  

She can do boogie board however if she is ok with just doing that.  

• Like 2

My youngest son was also short for his age at one time.  He competed on a national sport-karate circuit where they combine karate and gymnastics, so he also had great balance/coordination as well as having that gymnast body.  In addition, he already knew how to do stand-up since we also did it at a land-based Flowrider where the height requirement wasn't as stringent as RCCL.  With that said, they wouldn't let him do stand-up until he was 58".  It's all about the insurance and the ambulance chasers.  

So instead, he had to continue to do the neutered boogie board, where all the cool tricks have been outlawed by RCCL for years.  Some ships did/do a Boogie 360 competition so he focused on that and set the ship record.  Now he usually wins Best of the Best doing standup.

• Like 1

yeah, so many folks wiping out and getting floated to the back wall, it has changed. one or two tries after they release their hand to you and you face plant, you are left with your allotted time on the boogie board.  Wiping out hurts. I thought because I catch the waves at cocoa beach atlantic ocean that I would be good, this is a different ride, with a continuous flow that doesn't ebb and flow to get a feel for the waves. So even folks with experience have challenges to this. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mil76 said:

So instead, he had to continue to do the neutered boogie board, where all the cool tricks have been outlawed by RCCL for years.  Some ships did/do a Boogie 360 competition so he focused on that and set the ship record.  Now he usually wins Best of the Best doing standup.

Hadn’t heard of that, will have to google, thanks!

14 minutes ago, nimbex1970 said:

yeah, so many folks wiping out and getting floated to the back wall, it has changed. one or two tries after they release their hand to you and you face plant, you are left with your allotted time on the boogie board.  Wiping out hurts. I thought because I catch the waves at cocoa beach atlantic ocean that I would be good, this is a different ride, with a continuous flow that doesn't ebb and flow to get a feel for the waves. So even folks with experience have challenges to this. 

Good to know the current policy.  The staff that operate the flow riders (on land) have all referenced this, said it’s a different animal than surfing in the ocean.  

Just booked the waterpark pass at coco cay, she can get an ample share of thrills there.  I personally would prefer to be firmly planted in a lounger on the beach with the cold one in hand but, it’s ‘her trip’ lol

Just read this in RCCL blog in comments???

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2015/09/29/everything-about-the-flowrider-royal-caribbean-ships

Doesn’t sound quite ‘right’ to me, thinking perhaps some sour grapes.  

“We just came back from the cruise on Freedom of the Seas (Apr 2022). it was a complete disappointment for us to discover, that ONLY boogie boarding (knee-boarding) is available for free on that FlowRider feature. It is not disclosed anywhere on their website or the RC app, but stand-up surfing is allowed for free ONLY for the advanced riders. If you are a beginner or an intermediate - you're required to book a private lesson for an additional $552! False advertising at it's best! We only found out about that while on the cruise, you're not made aware of that prior to sailing. My son picked this cruise specifically because of the FlowRider and was completely denied doing stand-up surfing unless we book a private lesson. Needless to say he was left very, very upset.”

47 minutes ago, keishashadow said:

Just read this in RCCL blog in comments???

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2015/09/29/everything-about-the-flowrider-royal-caribbean-ships

Doesn’t sound quite ‘right’ to me, thinking perhaps some sour grapes.  

“We just came back from the cruise on Freedom of the Seas (Apr 2022). it was a complete disappointment for us to discover, that ONLY boogie boarding (knee-boarding) is available for free on that FlowRider feature. It is not disclosed anywhere on their website or the RC app, but stand-up surfing is allowed for free ONLY for the advanced riders. If you are a beginner or an intermediate - you're required to book a private lesson for an additional $552! False advertising at it's best! We only found out about that while on the cruise, you're not made aware of that prior to sailing. My son picked this cruise specifically because of the FlowRider and was completely denied doing stand-up surfing unless we book a private lesson. Needless to say he was left very, very upset.”

That $552 was the cost to rent the flowrider for a 1 hour private session.  Private lessons are about $60.  In order to do standup you now have to be able to self load and have control over the board.  The staff will not teach you as they did in the past

• Like 1

That's misleading.  If you go up to ride they will ask if you ever did it before.  If you flat out say no and seem clueless they may tell you to take a lesson.  If you say you have an idea of what you need to do, or tell them you tried it before, they should give you 2 attempts, and if you do not pass their grade they may then tell you to take a lesson.  Sometimes they cut people off for the day, sometimes they cut people off for the entire cruise.  

Those comments are from a cruise last April, and the rules were much stricter back then.  I did Navigator last March and there were people who could stay up for 15-30 seconds but couldn't carve, and they would not give them a stand-up wristband.  In December on Nav they were giving people bands who could start themselves and stay up for just a few seconds.  Those people were nowhere near advanced, or even intermediate.

Lessons are not really $552.  That is a quote for the 1 hour private session where they will have 2 instructors teach you how to ride.  You can also take normal group lessons which are usually around $80-90 for an hour, in which time you should learn enough to be able to get the band and ride.  I tell people who have never rode before that they may want to do a lesson early in the cruise, then they should be able to get the band and be set for the whole cruise (and subsequent cruises).  If you are serious about doing the Flowrider, it's probably worth doing the lesson to save time trying to figure it out on your own.  Last March there were 2 kids who could not do it day 1, so they did a group lesson day 2 in the morning and were able to ride the rest of the cruise.

• Like 1