Advice on Koningsdam Hawaii Cruise April 13/2023

Norvig

On 2/21/2023 at 6:31 PM, Norvig said:

Thanks again for all the helpful info.  2 more questions.  1. Are Covid tests required when departing from Vancouver going to Hawaii? I have googled this & get conflicting answers.  We have 4 covid vaccinations.   2.  Will there be taxis at the port in Honolulu?  & will there be taxis at Pearl Harbour for our return to the ship?  

We were just in Honolulu with the Koningsdam and took a taxi to Pearl Harbor.  There are plenty of taxis outside the building with signs to direct you. 

With tip it cost us $60 to get to PH , it was further than we thought.  Our driver gave us his card when he dropped us off and said he would give us a discount for the trip back, just call him 30 minutes before we wanted to leave.

We decided to take the bus back.  The ranger at the entrance told us where it picked up ( main road in front of the entrance). I don’t know what the actual price was, the smallest bill I had was a five and that covered us both.  We decided to take it to the mall downtown and simply asked the driver if he went there.  

If you go to the port talk on the ship they’ll tell you all about what bus numbers to take or you can go on the bus company website.  

Drinks in room mini frig. are not included in your have it all. You have to get your drinks at a bar. Just ask them not to open them so you can take them back to your room.

On 2/21/2023 at 3:31 PM, Norvig said:

Thanks again for all the helpful info.  2 more questions.  1. Are Covid tests required when departing from Vancouver going to Hawaii? I have googled this & get conflicting answers.  We have 4 covid vaccinations.   2.  Will there be taxis at the port in Honolulu?  & will there be taxis at Pearl Harbour for our return to the ship?  

I keep looking for the health protocols on the website and get the message that the protocols have not been posted yet for this cruise.  I suspect that they are waiting to see what the Covid situation is closer to the cruise.  I know that the Canadian government has dropped their requirement for a pre-cruise test but things can change so I will keep checking until I get an answer one way or the other.

• Like 1

We took the Konsingdam to Hawaii in October.  If you arrive in Vancouver early,  the hotels near the ship will help deliver your luggage to your stateroom.  That was a nice feature. One caveat we found,  book your excursions early! They filled up fast and they were unable to add new ones. On Maui, we could get a cab away from the ship but not back to the ship. Had to hire a private citizen to get us back on board. 

• Like 1

Thanks JeffElizabeth.  Good tip if we do future cruises.  We are booked at the Fairmont Airport & have paid the transfer.  Hope it is not a long wait for other passengers.  
This cruise appears to be extra full at over 3900 passengers,  😳 

7 hours ago, Norvig said:

Thanks JeffElizabeth.  Good tip if we do future cruises.  We are booked at the Fairmont Airport & have paid the transfer.  Hope it is not a long wait for other passengers.  

Curious where you got that number of pax.

7 hours ago, Norvig said:

You mean 2900?  I think it’s virtually impossible to have 3900 passengers.

17 minutes ago, Norvig said:

I looked at the Honolulu port schedule & reads 3294 passengers.  The Koningsdam is the only ship in port on April 23 if I did that correctly!!  

I had to look it up for myself and it's currently at 3152 guests on the 19th. We were on the NS in November with 2900 guests and the ship was *busy*, so 3200 may be a bit of a challenge.

Screenshot 2023-02-25 at 6.24.14 PM.png

On 2/25/2023 at 6:29 PM, robotpony said:

I had to look it up for myself and it's currently at 3152 guests on the 19th. We were on the NS in November with 2900 guests and the ship was *busy*, so 3200 may be a bit of a challenge.

Screenshot 2023-02-25 at 6.24.14 PM.png

That's actually over the maximum number of guests stated on the shipbuilder's site and wikipedia (probably same source). If the ship is fully staffed the max guests they can sail with is 3137. One of my party is travelling solo in a double so... where are all these people sleeping?

Also- the NS actually shows max slightly over K'dam (16pax/17crew) so this is going to be a full house!

Is it possible they need to pay port tax for every individual disembarking and all the entertainers and as many staff as possible go out for a day in Honolulu?

If we really need to know -  our best bet would be to check the numbers from one of the ports where the ship currently is in Hawaii and compare it to the reported number of passengers... if we can contact someone on board rn.

Still looking forward to my cruise!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Yes daily activity papers are left the evening before. 

WiFi connection instructions are in your cabin. 

For our recent cruise last month, many of the excursions were “sold out” before the cruise, but once onboard there were many that had new availability. Check onboard on the Navigator app. 

The city bus, known as The Bus, is an easy way to get to and from Pearl Harbor. Go very early and get the free tickets for the boat launch that takes you to the memorial. While waiting for your time slot you will have lots to see and read in the museum. The afternoon tickets may all be distributed by noon. 

You can rent a car for the day. We’ve done this successfully. I’ve used “Hawaiicarrental.com”. )Check with your rollcall or on the Hawaii ports board for current recommendations.)  They will pick you up at the pier, take you to get the car; upon return of car they will shuttle you back to the pier. 
Aloha!  m—

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Norvig said:

Is anyone having trouble signing in to the Navigator App?  I was trying to add our photo to our boarding pass.  It will not let me upload our photos & now I cannot log in to the App.  

It seems ok on my iPad but it’s having hissy fits on my phone.

On 2/25/2023 at 2:48 PM, sunviking90 said:

We took Uber to Pearl Harbor in January and it was $22 usd including tip, so that is a good option if you’re comfortable using Uber. We were planning to take the bus back, but it was supposed to take almost an hour, so we ubered back too.

My Uber last month from Pearl Harbor to the ship was in the range of $20, too.   

12 minutes ago, Norvig said:

Where do I access the health questionnaire for cruise starting April 13?

Will show up in Navigator and in your account online. 24-48 hours in advance of sailing.

There was a recent report on another thread that the questionnaire is no longer required.

27 minutes ago, Norvig said:

Where do I access the health questionnaire for cruise starting April 13?

A week or more ago there was an extra step on the Check-in page, "Health Questionnaire" that was greyed out with a note that gave the date it would be available. It has since disappeared altogether.

Thanks CB & Lv .  A few days ago a notice came informing me to complete the health questionnaire on April 10 so I was driving myself crazy searching for this.  I am very disappointed in the lack of communication from HAL.  Confusing for newbies but likely for many others as well.  Just trying to make our check in as easy as possible. My husband has difficulty standing for any length of time, walking is ok.  We will be flying tomorrow so I wanted to make sure I had all things complete & ready.  Another thing, our photos were on our boarding passes on the Navigator App.  Have since disappeared.  🤬🤬 Is this another thing that has changed?  

• Like 1