Rest in Peace former HAL cruise director Gene Moimoi Young

Copper10-8

Very sad news for those who knew and/or sailed with former HAL cruise director Gene Young. It is reported that he passed away after taking his own life on February 14, 2023 in the Miami, FL area. Up until 2017, Gene had been the regular cruise director on HAL's annual grand world voyage onboard ms Amsterdam. Until his unfortunate death, he had been cruise director for MSC Cruises. Depression is a terrible thing and Gene was far too young to leave this world! May he Rest in Peace!  

https://snbc13.com/gene-moimoi-young-msc-cruises-director-died-from-suicide-in-miami-death-obituary/?fbclid=IwAR0Hkj4qy8K3RFahs7mqwOt8YM_pEfcmeJ1gzXk5QrtfKOiPVjNwJKT79-o

Days at sea: viewer discretion may contain extreme relaxation | Sara and  Lucy Around the World

• Like 7
  • Thanks 12

We had the great pleasure of sailing with Gene on the 2017 Grand World Voyage. What a tremendous ambassador he was for HAL. We enjoyed him so much. Gene was a magician - he was always popping up at every venue or event with that huge smile on his face. He was the kind of person who always made you feel like you were the most important person, directing his full attention to you at any given moment. In our over thirty years of cruising, Gene was the absolute best cruise director we ever met. Our deepest condolences to his friends and family. He will be greatly missed by all who knew him or ever encountered him.

~Cathy Cosgrove and Barry Walker

• Like 7

I was shocked to hear of his passing.  He was our wonderful cruise director on at least 300 days of cruising, not only on the Amsterdam, but also 65 days on the Prinsendam in 2013. That is where we were introduced to his fiance.  Also on World Cruises in 2014 and 2017.  When I think of the perfect CD, I think of Gene.  In fact, I can't remember the name of any cruise directors since he left HAL.

• Like 2

Oh my goodness, how sad to hear. We had Gene on the brand new MSC Seashore in 2021 right after she repositioned from Europe. I can honestly say no other cruise director we've had has been memorable like Gene. When I saw this thread I immediately thought, oh my gosh that was him. He was everywhere and talked to everyone. May he rest in peace.

• Like 4

Oh my gosh, what sad news; how awful for his family and friends.  Depression is awful; we have to make mental health as important as physical health, instead of treating it as something that people shouldn't talk about in public.  May his soul be fully at peace now.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

This is so sad.  I remember him so well.  We were on the 2017 WC, our first one.  He set up a little meeting with all those on board who were new.  He wanted to make sure we felt comfortable because so many people took them every year and had established relationships, he wanted to make sure we didn't feel left out.  I'll never forget that kindness.  Rest in peace.

• Like 3

Gene was CD on our Tales of the South Pacific cruise several years ago. He was excellent at his job but what I remember most was the very moving and personalized Remembrance / Veterans Day service he organized. Flowers, poppy pins, microphones in places were attendees could remember their loved ones aloud, many sharing how they served and where. It was a beautiful service. 
Gene descended from Samoans IIRC on his mother’s side, and Pago Pago was one of our ports, which was a bit more special through his connection. The museum there has a picture of a grandfather of his who was a US Admiral in charge of American Samoa at one time. 
Blessings to all his family and friends. M—

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, RMLincoln said:

Gene descended from Samoans IIRC on his mother’s side, and Pago Pago was one of our ports, which was a bit more special through his connection. The museum there has a picture of a grandfather of his who was a US Admiral in charge of American Samoa at one time. 
Blessings to all his family and friends. M—

You are correct, hence his middle name of Moimoi 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

You are correct, hence his middle name of Moimoi 

On our Tales of the South Pacific cruise, when the wonderful GeneYoung was cruise director, he happily announced they had a full Polynesian enrichment complement on board for this special cruise.

1. The beloved Hawaiian Caino, as the port and culture lecturer. 

2. The arts and crafts instructor who was I believe from Tahiti- ukulele lessons, flower crafts, dance.

3. And Gene himself, who as so many have already mentioned, was sheer delight as the part Samoan ring master of them all.

They put on one of the funniest Crossing the Equator ceremonies we have ever experienced -full of inside jokes created specially just for this cruise.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

I just learned about his death today after watching a documentary about life on a cruise ship.  I googled to see where he might be working now and learned…..  We sailed with him on the Tales of the South Pacific and he was wonderful.  So wonderful, in fact, that he is the only cruise director whose name I remembered from our travels.

May his memory be eternal!

• Like 1