Why are cancellation fees starting one month prior to final payment

DJ Cruisers

We booked a 35 day cruise with a future cruise deposit.  Final payment is November 19,2023. On the billing confirmation  it shows a cancellation fee of $1750pp starting on October 20.  Don't ever remember having cancellation fees start prior to final payment.  If it is the deposit that isn't the amount we put down.  Called HAL and asked about all this.  Got multiple answers but not a definitive one or an answer that made sense.   Has anybody else run into cancellation charges before final payment.  Wondering how they plan on getting $1750 pp from us when they only collected the future cruise deposit.  The HAL person  didn't seem to know how they would do it either.

On longer cruises and some ‘bucket list ones’, penalties start before final payment.  When we did the Hawaii, Tahiti, Marquesas cruise  a few years ago, penalties started one month before final payment.

It was important if you wanted HAL’s cancellation insurance.

This is not new - it’s been in place for many years.

• Like 3

If you booked with a FCC, you likely would lose part or all of that, according to the cancellation fees, but they probably wouldn’t come after you for any other money. At least that’s what Celebrity told me. I canceled my cruise last week. I haven’t gotten the confirmation yet - but I won’t owe the $750 cancellation fee. That’s the amount the deposit would have been if I booked with cash, and I would lose that if I’d paid it. 

46 minutes ago, Hllb said:

If you booked with a FCC, you likely would lose part or all of that, according to the cancellation fees, but they probably wouldn’t come after you for any other money. At least that’s what Celebrity told me. I canceled my cruise last week. I haven’t gotten the confirmation yet - but I won’t owe the $750 cancellation fee. That’s the amount the deposit would have been if I booked with cash, and I would lose that if I’d paid it. 

Celebrity?  Celebrity's policies have no connection to HAL's.  Did you mean HAL?

~Nancy

Thanks for all your responses.   Kazu the cruise we are taking is the same South Pacific cruise you took a few years ago.  We had taken it in 2016 so I went thru my files and lo and behold found the booking and yes it did have the same cancellation policy.  I just didn't remember it.  This is only the 2nd long cruise I've taken with HAL, usually have done them with Princess (and they are different) so I guess my memory isn't working so good.  

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, oakridger said:

Celebrity?  Celebrity's policies have no connection to HAL's.  Did you mean HAL?

~Nancy

No, I was sharing the exact same scenario with another line. Things may work the same way with HAL.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, DJ Cruisers said:

We booked a 35 day cruise with a future cruise deposit.  Final payment is November 19,2023. On the billing confirmation  it shows a cancellation fee of $1750pp starting on October 20.  Don't ever remember having cancellation fees start prior to final payment.  If it is the deposit that isn't the amount we put down.  Called HAL and asked about all this.  Got multiple answers but not a definitive one or an answer that made sense.   Has anybody else run into cancellation charges before final payment.  Wondering how they plan on getting $1750 pp from us when they only collected the future cruise deposit.  The HAL person  didn't seem to know how they would do it either.

I found that to be the case with the 35-day VOV cruise.  Fortunately, I noticed it well before the cancellation date since I thought that I might be cancelling it.  Lesson learned:  Read the details carefully!