Cruise Cancellation With Gift Card

Lee Cruiser

For those who have cancelled a cruise where they used a gift card:

When you cancel a cruise or excursion is the refunded amount put on the original gift card(s) or do they issue a new one?  If it is the original one, do they give you the last four digits or anything to let you know what card is was?  Thanks!

7 minutes ago, Lee Cruiser said:

Thanks for all the responses!  My concern was trying to go back and find which cards I used for which purchase.  Since I'm starting to use the 10% off cards more, I'm now keeping up with it better, but in this case, I wasn't sure which ones I had used.

When I'm not sure if I have used a gift card up, I do a mock purchase for one of my upcoming cruises and check the amount remaining on card.  Then I remove the purchase and write in sharpie pen how much is left on that card.  😃

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Schoifmom said:

Carnival gift cards are NOT reloadable.  They will always issue a new gift card for refunds.  @Saint Greg your reload to a Carnival gift card must have been a quick reversal?

Months later. Maybe even a year later. Most of the time they send a new card but I have had a few times, including the Jubilee cancellation, where they tried to put funds on the original gift cards. Sometimes it works and sometimes I have to push them for a new card.

23 minutes ago, Lee Cruiser said:

Thanks for all the responses!  My concern was trying to go back and find which cards I used for which purchase.  Since I'm starting to use the 10% off cards more, I'm now keeping up with it better, but in this case, I wasn't sure which ones I had used.

One thing I do is take a picture/screenshot of the card number and pin. When they do that they'll send you the last four of the card number.

5CF16F29-DF33-4C5B-8DD0-F21AF0282465.jpeg

Edited by Saint Greg
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, ninjacat123 said:

When I'm not sure if I have used a gift card up, I do a mock purchase for one of my upcoming cruises and check the amount remaining on card.  Then I remove the purchase and write in sharpie pen how much is left on that card.  😃

This is easier:

Carnival - Check Your Balance (ourgiftcards.com)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

One thing I do is take a picture/screenshot of the card number and pin. When they do that they'll send you the last four of the card number.

Good deal. That's what I needed to know.  As long as they send me the last four numbers, I'm good.  I have access to all the digital cards.  I'm just not sure which ones I used this time.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JMSMama said:

I cancelled an excursion paid with a gift card and my confirmation email indicated a new gift card would be sent.  It also said it would be delayed.  My question:  How long should I expect to wait?  TY!

Mine took 4 weeks from the end of my last cruise

9 hours ago, JMSMama said:

I cancelled an excursion paid with a gift card and my confirmation email indicated a new gift card would be sent.  It also said it would be delayed.  My question:  How long should I expect to wait?  TY!

When our 2020 cruise was cancelled the email said I would get physical gift cards via fed ex in about 2 months.

I was supposed to get the cost of the whole cruise plus excursions. I got a single gift card for $99 for the pixel package (5 photos + a canvas - that was a good deal!)

turns out the rest were sent via e-cards a month earlier, but I didn’t catch them as I wasn’t expecting e-cards! LUckly they were able to track them down and resend all the gift card emails. 

Point is, don’t trust the method they’ll send them back to you, look for all ways until you get them.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Follow up for anyone who may see this thread in the future:

Just like others said, I received my refunds in different ways.

Internet:  Part of it was paid with gift card (about $68) and part with credit card.  About a week after I cancelled I received a FedEx envelope with the gift card refund.  About the same time the credit card refund showed up on my card.

Cruise Itself:  Again I had paid part with credit card (the original deposit amount).  I received the refund for it in about a week on my card.

The rest was paid on gift cards.  In this case I received an email about a week later with a link to an electronic gift card.  It originally went to my junk mail and was almost deleted.  I'm glad I caught it before that happened because it was a sizeable amount. 

I'm still baffled that they sent one refund (the $68 one) by FedEx in a regular gift card and the other one (the larger one that was over $500) by email.  It would have seemed to make more sense if these were reversed, but that's the way they did it.

Edited by Lee Cruiser
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Lee Cruiser said:

Follow up for anyone who may see this thread in the future:

Just like others said, I received my refunds in different ways.

Internet:  Part of it was paid with gift card (about $68) and part with credit card.  About a week after I cancelled I received a FedEx envelope with the gift card refund.  About the same time the credit card refund showed up on my card.

Cruise Itself:  Again I had paid part with credit card (the original deposit amount).  I received the refund for it in about a week on my card.

The rest was paid on gift cards.  In this case I received an email about a week later with a link to an electronic gift card.  It originally went to my junk mail and was almost deleted.  I'm glad I caught it before that happened because it was a sizeable amount. 

I'm still baffled that they sent one refund (the $68 one) by FedEx in a regular gift card and the other one (the larger one that was over $500) by email.  It would have seemed to make more sense if these were reversed, but that's the way they did it.

Fun Shops purchases (which includes your internet package) and fares are managed by different departments.  I, personally, like that they are now using e-cards for refunds and wish they would for all refunds.

• Like 3