Specialty Dining Reservations for First Time on Princess

Plato123

We will be on our first Princess cruise next week and have booked a full suite and the Premier package.  We are in the Green Lane on the app but are unable to book any specialty dining reservations, especially for the first night which we understand will be complimentary.

I called Princess to see if I could book through them and was told that availablity in the Crown Grill was already very limited and, regardless, we could not make a reservation as this was our first Princess cruise. I was told I would have to wait until we were on the ship to make a reservation.

This seems very strange as I have booked excursions with no problem but can not book a dining reservation.

Is this just the way it is, or am I missing something?

7 minutes ago, Plato123 said:

We will be on our first Princess cruise next week and have booked a full suite and the Premier package.  We are in the Green Lane on the app but are unable to book any specialty dining reservations, especially for the first night which we understand will be complimentary.

I called Princess to see if I could book through them and was told that availablity in the Crown Grill was already very limited and, regardless, we could not make a reservation as this was our first Princess cruise. I was told I would have to wait until we were on the ship to make a reservation.

This seems very strange as I have booked excursions with no problem but can not book a dining reservation.

I find that odd that it would make any difference at all how may cruises you've done with Princess. I know that final payment must be made before dining can be booked in the app for some loyalty levels, but you're obviously way past final payment. Given that you've booked a suite, I'm pretty sure they'll fit you in just fine after you get on the ship, but I would follow up with that quickly if I were you to get an acceptable time.

14 minutes ago, Plato123 said:

Do not worry for 1 minute. Full suites have priority reservations for SD. 
If you try to book in the App, it should show you having a credit. It may just be the App or it could be the SD has put a limit on the bookings, since it

is so close to sailing.

It does NOT matter that this is your first Princess cruise, that is wrong.

But, I’ve been told, don’t worry about it, we will take care of those in full suites, holding back a few tables.  It has never been a problem.

So, you can call from your suite and book it or stop by the SD and book it OB.

Or, if your ship has a suite concierge, they can do it.

Edited by PacnGoNow
  • Like 2

Usually plenty of spots available on the first night for suites, just go to your preferred dining venue

and make your reservations once onboard. And as said earlier, if you are on a Royal class ship, let your concierge handle it for you and relax!

1 hour ago, Plato123 said:

We have a similar problem trying to book a speciality restaurant for the first night for our cruise in April.   When I try to book the Crown Grill (either on the app or on-line) it shows an order summary charge of $78, minus a $39 dining credit which leaves a balance owing of $39.   This is not BOGO, it's supposed to be free on the first night.   I know I could go ahead and book the Crown Grill now and sort out the $39 charge once on board, but what a pain!    

39 minutes ago, david63 said:

It clearly states on the suites "perks" page that the first night complimentary Speciality dining has to be booked when onboard.

Can you please post a link for this page?    The only thing I can find is "Complimentary Specialty Dining Dinner on embarkation day".   Nothing about having to book onboard.  

• Like 1

This is not a big deal. If you are in a full suite you will be accommodated on embarkation night. We never book before getting on board and have always gotten a table. They set aside tables for full suites on that night. You can call the dine line, go to the venue or if you are on a Royal class ship the concierge can handle it for you

• Like 1

@Plato123, I am in agreement with posters who have advised that as a suite passenger, you will have no problem booking specialty restaurant reservations after you board the ship.

The easiest way for you to do so is to call the DINE line from your suite.  They will be able to see that you are a suite passenger and will advise you that your first night reservation will be complimentary.

You don't say which ship you are sailing on, but on Royal class ships suite passengers have access to the Suite Concierge Lounge.   This is a very nice amenity and the concierge on duty there can also make dinner reservations for you.

Have a great cruise.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, david63 said:

It clearly states on the suites "perks" page that the first night complimentary Speciality dining has to be booked when onboard.

Two weeks ago we disembarked our first Princess cruises taken in a full suite. Having cruised many times before, we were like you not knowing the “process” of this line.

We did book our complimentary dinner on first night through the App, and the charge was reversed automatically. We booked the Crown Grill, but later found that on the Royal, Sabatinis was a beautiful dinning room with quality ambience, and booked for 3 evenings.

if you are charged for your complimentary meal, just go to the Pursers desk, and it will be reversed as per your booking terms. We found the staff wonderfully helpful.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, kokopelli-az said:

Ahhh, I was looking at this one.  Slightly different wording.

https://www.princess.com/learn/ships/staterooms/suites/

I think that is part of the problem - the same (or supposedly the same) information is in more than one place. Could be left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing, or more likely typical Carnival IT!

I just wanted to add a word of warning. We just did a shirt 4 night cruise and while I booked 2 nights ahead of time on the app, I thought, oh well I will get the Concierge to help with the first night (first night specialty is no longer free on short voyages either) and the last night. All restaurants were fully booked. He even called the manager of Crown grill for us,  Nothing. We finally, at the last minute, got into Sabatinis the first night, and not until 9 the last night in Crown Grill. Lesson learned book ahead for the times you want and get the adjustment later (if it doesn't auto adjust) 

The restaurants weren't full either I think they are short staffed and less tables are being offered which adds to the availability problem.