Turkey stops in internary

HMSDingy

3 minutes ago, HMSDingy said:

The Princess Med cruise we're looking at is stopping in Kusadesi,Turkey. Will there be any itinerary changes because of the earthquake?

I assume you have looked on a map and seen where Kusadasi is in relation to the epicentre of the earthquake? 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, HMSDingy said:

The Princess Med cruise we're looking at is stopping in Kusadesi,Turkey. Will there be any itinerary changes because of the earthquake?

Checking a map of where Kusadasi is located in northwestern Turkey it’s a long distance from where the quake was centered in the southeast portion by Syria. Based on Google Maps the general quake area I’ve read about is about 700 miles away. You could do additional research to better narrow down the quake area’s distance from Kusadasi however based on my cursory research it wouldn’t affect Kusadasi.

We greatly enjoyed a tour to Ephesus from Kusadasi during our cruise about a decade ago.

• Like 2

On 2/23/2023 at 11:03 AM, wowzz said:

It's like not going to Norfolk, Virginia,  because of an earthquake in Boston !

Wow such harshness. I wondered about itinerary changes to Kusadasi too. Not because of proximity to the epicenter but because I thought cargo ships carrying aid might take precedence in harbors and at docks.  If you have the means and the interest a donation to Red Cross/Red Crescent for Turkish relief is a great thing. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Chad_O said:

Wow such harshness. I wondered about itinerary changes to Kusadasi too. Not because of proximity to the epicenter but because I thought cargo ships carrying aid might take precedence in harbors and at docks.  If you have the means and the interest a donation to Red Cross/Red Crescent for Turkish relief is a great thing. 

Why harsh  ?

Kusadasi is not a major cargo port. And there are plenty of ports far closer to the earthquake zone.

I fully endorse your comments about donations.  I assume that there have been appeals onTV and in the press in the US, the same as in the UK ?

Edited by wowzz

18 hours ago, wowzz said:

Why harsh  ?

Kusadasi is not a major cargo port. And there are plenty of ports far closer to the earthquake zone.

I fully endorse your comments about donations.  I assume that there have been appeals onTV and in the press in the US, the same as in the UK ?

I found it harsh in its dismissiveness. I assume it was not your intention. many people are not necessarily well versed with the geography let alone port service infrastructure. There could be more viable highway and rail connections there than other ports. I am clueless but i understand this community and its kindness and willingness to share. As for television ads for aid; I have seen none. I live close to the largest concentration of Lebanese and Syrians outside the middle east so the concern level is very high. The biggest point of discussion is how to provide aid that will not benefit the Assad regime in Syria.  

• Like 1

I am booked on a Princess cruise to Turkey (both Ephesus and Istanbul), and my first thought when I heard the earthquake news was, "OH, NO."  I said the same thing when the terrorist bomb went off last year, because I was already booked on this cruise.  And yes, I know my geography exceptionally well, but one can never predict how an event will affect a country or tourism.

I say all this because I was actually planning a return cruise to Istanbul back in 2016, but the coup attempt stopped all cruises there for YEARS.

Of course the earthquake is a major tragedy, and we all need to support the recovery.  I would highly recommend that the cruise lines create some kind of donation process for travel contributions as well. 

Every day we are surrounded by noble causes of need, and I wish there was a way to ease the suffering.  I try to use my travel experiences also as a way of learning more about the people and the countries of this world, and they also help me appreciate my own blessings even more.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Chad_O said:

I found it harsh in its dismissiveness. I assume it was not your intention. many people are not necessarily well versed with the geography let alone port service infrastructure. There could be more viable highway and rail connections there than other ports. I am clueless... 

Türkiye is twice the size of the State of California.

It really is akin to asking if a scheduled port stop in Monterey, CA is going to be affected by an earthquake that occured in Phoenix, AZ.

In this day and age, a person capable of navigating an online message forum could reasonably be expected to have a basic understanding of how to navigate Google Maps.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Skai said:

Türkiye is twice the size of the State of California.

It really is akin to asking if a scheduled port stop in Monterey, CA is going to be affected by an earthquake that occured in Phoenix, AZ.

In this day and age, a person capable of navigating an online message forum could reasonably be expected to have a basic understanding of how to navigate Google Maps.

Completely agree and well stated.

On 2/23/2023 at 10:55 AM, Astro Flyer said:

Checking a map of where Kusadasi is located in northwestern Turkey it’s a long distance from where the quake was centered in the southeast portion by Syria. Based on Google Maps the general quake area I’ve read about is about 700 miles away. You could do additional research to better narrow down the quake area’s distance from Kusadasi however based on my cursory research it wouldn’t affect Kusadasi.

We greatly enjoyed a tour to Ephesus from Kusadasi during our cruise about a decade ago.

I asked a simple question and I was put in place for not researching the location of Kusadesi.  Why are you people os nasty? 

• Like 1

On 2/23/2023 at 11:03 AM, wowzz said:

It's like not going to Norfolk, Virginia,  because of an earthquake in Boston !

Don't know the distance between those two as I'm Canadian, Why are you assuming that everyone knows that?

25 minutes ago, HMSDingy said:

Don't know the distance between those two as I'm Canadian, Why are you assuming that everyone knows that?

Just trying to give people an idea of the distances involved.

Skai made a similar point, using the distance between Monterey and Phoenix in his example.

28 minutes ago, HMSDingy said:

I asked a simple question and I was put in place for not researching the location of Kusadesi.  Why are you people os nasty? 

But did you not think of looking at a map before asking your question ?

I don't think anyone was being nasty - we were just suggesting that you could have answered the question yourself.

11 hours ago, wowzz said:

But did you not think of looking at a map before asking your question ?

I don't think anyone was being nasty - we were just suggesting that you could have answered the question yourself.

Amen.

18 hours ago, HMSDingy said:

Just try to ignore the posters who are nasty. There are a lot of posters who are not nasty and do try to be helpful.

Within a year of being in Kusadasi on a cruise, I went to donate blood to the Red Cross. When I said I had been in Turkey, they had to look up whether that part of Turkey disqualified me from donating blood. It did not. (Another time I was disqualified for going into the interior of Belize on an excursion to view Mayan ruins.)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Just try to ignore the posters who are nasty. There are a lot of posters who are not nasty and do try to be helpful.

Within a year of being in Kusadasi on a cruise, I went to donate blood to the Red Cross. When I said I had been in Turkey, they had to look up whether that part of Turkey disqualified me from donating blood. It did not. (Another time I was disqualified for going into the interior of Belize on an excursion to view Mayan ruins.)

Thanks I appreciate your response.

• Like 2