Please explain Oceania's excursion prices.

mozfoz

Looking into the future and exploring the excursions offered in Cairo and other ports, there appears to be 3 different costs offered for each excursion. Could someone please explain the differences in the following example:

Medieval Cairo (POS-003)
Tour Length: Full-Day (Approximately 12 hours)   Tour Price $259.00, Your World,$194.25, Unlimited$109.00

Also, what type excursions would be included in the "FREE - 6 Shore Excursions" O Life offe

Edited by mozfoz
spelling

• mozfoz changed the title to Please explain Oceania's excursion prices.

The three prices are based on how many excursions you choose. The Unlimited package includes most excursions in each port with a few exceptions for exceptionally expensive one. You pay a discounted rate for those. The YWC package is based on how many ports you’ll visit. On our upcoming cruise there are about a dozen ports. The YWC package requires that we purchase 8 excursions. Then we get a 25% discount. The third price is for people who just want a few excursions so they pay the full price.

one benefit to the YWC is that if the excursion or port is cancelled you get a full refund. On our last TA about half of our 11 excursions were canceled, so we basically got the 25% discount for taking just a few excursions. I don’t believe that the Unlimited people were refunded.

• Like 1

The O Life  excursion  rules are explained under the t & C

"OLife Choice free shore excursions vary by voyage and exclude Oceania Select, Oceania Exclusive, Executive Collection, Food & Wine Trails, Wellness Discovery Tours by Aquamar, Go Local, Go Green, Beyond Blueprints and Culinary Discovery Tours. Voyages up to 9 days receive 4 free shore excursions; 10-13 days receive 6 free shore excursions; 14+ days receive 8 free shore excursions, except for a single traveler booked in a Solo category, and are at the per guest rate. If shore excursion amenity is selected, all excursions must be chosen at least 14 days prior to sailing"

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/legal/promotion-terms/

The Package excursions   YWC & Unlimited

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/shore-excursions

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mozfoz said:

Looking into the future and exploring the excursions offered in Cairo and other ports, there appears to be 3 different costs offered for each excursion. Could someone please explain the differences in the following example:

Medieval Cairo (POS-003)
Tour Length: Full-Day (Approximately 12 hours)   Tour Price $259.00, Your World,$194.25, Unlimited$109.00

Also, what type excursions would be included in the "FREE - 6 Shore Excursions" O Life offe

Use the search feature here on CC to look for one or more of my several detailed sets of instructions (and strategies) for getting the most value from the combination of O Life excursions option and YWYW. 
(Note that seldom is the Unlimited Passport worth the upfront cost.)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mozfoz said:

Use the rules that LHT28 references. I've found a pretty good rule-of-thumb to be is "N/A" is listed for the Unlimited option, then it probably qualifies for the O-Life perk (no guaranty this is always true though, so check).

Free excursions are typically limited to those with a regular price of $199 or less. If you only get one O-life perk, look at your free excursions and their cost compared with the OBC that is offered. Many times the OBC is significantly higher that the excursion costs, so you would get more bang for your buck with it.

19 minutes ago, DoulaAnn said:

Free excursions are typically limited to those with a regular price of $199 or less. If you only get one O-life perk, look at your free excursions and their cost compared with the OBC that is offered. Many times the OBC is significantly higher that the excursion costs, so you would get more bang for your buck with it.

Ok...........Not sure your experience, but this is off base from what I've see over the years. The only time this would be correct is when the excursion you choose is less than $100. And anyone doing that doesn't really understand the system.  Any excursion over $100 and you're ahead of the game. 

This does not take into account the actual value of Oceania excursions and what you could purchase that excursion for elsewhere. 

Bottom line is taking the OBC is a dollar-for-dollar trade and with only a few rare exceptions is the best choice. You're better off taking cruise only if that's the route you want to go. 

If by "it" you were referring to excursions then disregard the post, but I assumed you were referring to OBC having more bang for your buck. 

Edited by ORV

39 minutes ago, DoulaAnn said:

Actually, you get zero ($0.00) “bang for your buck” with O Life SBC. Do the math. The fare cost per cabin for that O Life SBC option (w/o air) is exactly the same cost as the Cruise Only option to which you add the dollar amount of the offered SBC per cabin. It’s a wash: you’re buying the SBC outright!

That said, I do agree that, in looking at O Life available tours, you should pick from among those allowable ones close to the $199 list price (thus approaching double the value of the SBC option. The other value of picking the tours option is that your selections will count towards the per person minimum number required on your itinerary for the YWYW 25% discount on paid tours you add.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

2 hours ago, DoulaAnn said:

as been discussed several times in the past

The OBC perk  you are paying for  the privilege of Oceania holding your money   & it becomes non refundable should you not use it  by the end of the cruise

If you want to make a prepayment & know you will use the  amount of the OBC  then take that option

You can do cruise only & just have any expenses put on your CC at the end of the cruise

Do the math & see if it works for your situation

JMO

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DoulaAnn said:

Bear with me.  Say the OLife SBC is benefit is $400 pp, or 4 free excursions pp, or the basic drink package.  For that benefit, you pay an additional $400 pp above the cruise only fare.

So for SBC, you pay $400 for $400 in non-refundable SBC.. A convenience for some, but not a deal.

Or, you pay $400 for 4 excursions, for which you can chose 4 excursions with a value of up to $199 each, for a total of up to $796.  That seems to be a deal.

As for the drink package, only you can judge whether or not you drink enough at meals to justify it.  Some can and some can't.  You need to price that out according to you own drinking habits.

11 hours ago, 1985rz1 said:

Bear with me.  Say the OLife SBC is benefit is $400 pp, or 4 free excursions pp, or the basic drink package.  For that benefit, you pay an additional $400 pp above the cruise only fare. ... Or, you pay $400 for 4 excursions, for which you can chose 4 excursions with a value of up to $199 each, for a total of up to $796.  That seems to be a deal. ....

You're failing to compare (1) other excursions offered at that port and (2) the price of the excursions offered by others, either similar or different. Given that in the many cases I've read here and elsewhere that you're seeing 100% or higher mark up by O for what appear to (me) often inferior excursions, hard to make any case that the excursions are saving you anything.

Done 20 nights on two ships (10 in 2021 and 10 in 2022) and we did all of our own excursions. I looked at the O excursion booklets for both cruises and didn't find a single excursion by O on either cruise that was preferable to what I was doing and their prices were outrageous.

11 hours ago, 1985rz1 said:

...Or, you pay $400 for 4 excursions, for which you can chose 4 excursions with a value of up to $199 each, for a total of up to $796.  That seems to be a deal. ...

And for a specific example of how MEDIOCRE O's offerings can be, Sirena docks at Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic, on 11/26/22 a Saturday from 0900-1700. Per O's "Destination Services Shore Excursion Overview" that I'm reading from right now, O listed 23 excursions.

Puerto Plata has the ONLY cable car in the Caribbean. It goes to the top of a mountain where there is BOTH a national park & forest/jungle with scenic views AND a 1/2 replica of the Rio "Jesus" (donated by the Brazilian government in 1974).

NOT a single one of O's 23 excursions went to this place. We did. Set up our own excursion.

Experiencing the Cable Car 🚡 in Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic 🇩🇴 - Bing video

10 minutes ago, MEFIowa said:

You're failing to compare (1) other excursions offered at that port and (2) the price of the excursions offered by others, either similar or different. Given that in the many cases I've read here and elsewhere that you're seeing 100% or higher mark up by O for what appear to (me) often inferior excursions, hard to make any case that the excursions are saving you anything.

That wasn't the point.  I was only giving an example of how to compare the various OLife options.  

Don’t read any more into it.

10 minutes ago, MEFIowa said:

Done 20 nights on two ships (10 in 2021 and 10 in 2022) and we did all of our own excursions. I looked at the O excursion booklets for both cruises and didn't find a single excursion by O on either cruise that was preferable to what I was doing and their prices were outrageous.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, MEFIowa said:

And for a specific example of how MEDIOCRE O's offerings can be, Sirena docks at Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic, on 11/26/22 a Saturday from 0900-1700. Per O's "Destination Services Shore Excursion Overview" that I'm reading from right now, O listed 23 excursions.

Puerto Plata has the ONLY cable car in the Caribbean. It goes to the top of a mountain where there is BOTH a national park & forest/jungle with scenic views AND a 1/2 replica of the Rio "Jesus" (donated by the Brazilian government in 1974).

NOT a single one of O's 23 excursions went to this place. We did. Set up our own excursion.

Experiencing the Cable Car 🚡 in Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic 🇩🇴 - Bing video

I know how to compare ship excursions with port options and have done both.

Both have been ranged in quality.

I chose what works for us.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, 1985rz1 said:

I know how to compare ship excursions with port options and have done both. Both have been ranged in quality. I chose what works for us.

Too bad too many aren't aware of their options or the serious mark up by O. That $199 O excursion that might be $75 if booked direct thru a provider. Or O missing the magnificent sites to see in or near a port. People just need to know they may be paying O $400 for $300 in actual excursions. Or missing out on better ones to begin with. There is little one can conclusively say about O's excursions ever being "a deal".

• Like 1

Hello!   People can do what they want but I gave up on ship's excursions decades ago. 

1.  Very costly compared to doing it on your on.  There are so many options. In addition, you can see and experience more than those on the ship tours.

2.  You don't have to listen to the tour guide (Often with a thick accent) rattle on and on with TMI.

3.  You are herded around with very little independence.  Forget about stopping where you would like to stop!

4.  You are on a crowded tour bus many of which have poor leg room.

5.  Almost without fail someone goes missing.

6.  It takes forever for everyone to get off the tour bus at the various stops. 

7.  There is always someone coughing and sneezing in the bus.

8.  There are almost always passengers with mobility issues who never should have been on the tour in the first place.  Don't get upset!  I am a slow walker myself these days.

No doubt others can add to my list. 

I do recognize many passengers are terrified of being on their own especially when the cruise lines emphasize with subtle hysteria that you will not be left stranded if you are late back to the ship when you are on an organized excursion.  The cruise lines want to scare you into taking one of their tours.  (Like you could be kidnapped and held for ransom if you are on your own.)  In the EXTREMELY unlikely event a passenger touring independently misses the ship no doubt they will have the attitude that it just the adventure of travel!! 

Be well. 

Deck Chair.

Edited by deck chair
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, MEFIowa said:

Too bad too many aren't aware of their options or the serious mark up by O. That $199 O excursion that might be $75 if booked direct thru a provider. Or O missing the magnificent sites to see in or near a port. People just need to know they may be paying O $400 for $300 in actual excursions. Or missing out on better ones to begin with. There is little one can conclusively say about O's excursions ever being "a deal".

IMO, a cable car ride and replica statue would hardly be “magnificent.”

In any case, your posts are not considering the value of “convenience” - particularly when it comes to the continuing Covid et al. situation of numerous itinerary modifications resulting in necessary tour changes, cancellations, etc.

Some of us O regulars do multiple long cruises per year. When you’re planning/managing tours for 50-100 port stops annually, DIY can get to be quite cumbersome. And your wholesale comment about the price difference is a tad exaggerated when you consider that those $199 O Life tours are only costing you $100 (in the O Life fare) on top of which you can get 25% off the cost of the non O Life tours you add to achieve the YWYW minimum for your cruise.

Please note that I am not saying that private tours cannot sometimes save you money nor am I saying that some of them may be better in quality. In fact, that’s why we do a mixture of ship and private tours based on a variety of factors.

What I am saying is that the bottom line cost in money, time and energy for cruise tour planning cannot eliminate the “convenience” factor - particularly right now in the world of tourism in general and cruising specifically.

We’re on Regatta right now (and will be until late March) and have already experienced several itinerary modifications that have DIY tour folks onboard scrambling to deal with their tour logistics (of course, already full ship tours mean little replacement options for them). And many of the islands we are visiting had “slim pickings” for worthwhile private boating activity tours to begin with (e.g., try and find a top notch catamaran/snorkel provider on Vanuatu when the ship arrival time has been changed to a later midday arrival).

All that said, when it comes to O Life, the tours perk option employing the right mix of O Life/YWYW selections provides convenience laden value at a reasonable bottom line price.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

IMO, a cable car ride and replica statue would hardly be “magnificent.”

In any case, your posts are not considering the value of “convenience” - particularly when it comes to the continuing Covid et al. situation of numerous itinerary modifications resulting in necessary tour changes, cancellations, etc.

Some of us O regulars do multiple long cruises per year. When you’re planning/managing tours for 50-100 port stops annually, DIY can get to be quite cumbersome. And your wholesale comment about the price difference is a tad exaggerated when you consider that those $199 O Life tours are only costing you $100 (in the O Life fare) on top of which you can get 25% off the cost of the non O Life tours you add to achieve the YWYW minimum for your cruise.

Please note that I am not saying that private tours cannot sometimes save you money nor am I saying that some of them may be better in quality. In fact, that’s why we do a mixture of ship and private tours based on a variety of factors.

What I am saying is that the bottom line cost in money, time and energy for cruise tour planning cannot eliminate the “convenience” factor - particularly right now in the world of tourism in general and cruising specifically.

We’re on Regatta right now (and will be until late March) and have already experienced several itinerary modifications that have DIY tour folks onboard scrambling to deal with their tour logistics (of course, already full ship tours mean little replacement options for them). And many of the islands we are visiting had “slim pickings” for worthwhile private boating activity tours to begin with (e.g., try and find a top notch catamaran/snorkel provider on Vanuatu when the ship arrival time has been changed to a later midday arrival).

All that said, when it comes to O Life, the tours perk option employing the right mix of O Life/YWYW selections provides convenience laden value at a reasonable bottom line price.

Good post. Some people don't get that it has to be one or the other, there's room for both. Over the past 20 years or so we've always done some private tours, some ships tours and sometimes just walking around a port. 

The one thing we have rarely done is go to a beach and sit in the sun. Oddly enough on many cruise lines that's the number one thing many people are most interested in. To me that is a big waste of time and money. 

• Like 6

37 minutes ago, ORV said:

Good post. Some people don't get that it has to be one or the other, there's room for both. Over the past 20 years or so we've always done some private tours, some ships tours and sometimes just walking around a port. 

The one thing we have rarely done is go to a beach and sit in the sun. Oddly enough on many cruise lines that's the number one thing many people are most interested in. To me that is a big waste of time and money. 

Yes, and being cheap is not the only criteria on which to base one's decisions.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, ORV said:

Fully in agreement about beaches and sitting in the sun.  After having a lot of "things" dug out of my face, that is the last thing I want to do at my age.  Also, agree about tours.  We do some private, some ship, and sometimes nothing, depending on where we are at the moment.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, alainciao said:

Where does one find the excursion "Unlimited" cost for a particular cruise, even one that is booked ?

Sign into " MY ACCOUNT"  on O website  then Excursion tab  it should give you the price  there

If not ask your TA for the PDF file for excursions  for your sailing

19 hours ago, ORV said:

Ok...........Not sure your experience, but this is off base from what I've see over the years. The only time this would be correct is when the excursion you choose is less than $100. And anyone doing that doesn't really understand the system.  Any excursion over $100 and you're ahead of the game. 

This does not take into account the actual value of Oceania excursions and what you could purchase that excursion for elsewhere. 

Bottom line is taking the OBC is a dollar-for-dollar trade and with only a few rare exceptions is the best choice. You're better off taking cruise only if that's the route you want to go. 

If by "it" you were referring to excursions then disregard the post, but I assumed you were referring to OBC having more bang for your buck. 

You have a point there.