Confused which cruise to choose, advice needed..

Mamamiah

Hi, I class myself as a first time cruiser as it was 26 years ago when I last did, down the Nile for my honeymoon. I was planning on cruising from Southampton this summer, with me daughter aged 25 to the Med. We want activities to do in the day, dress up, relax and have fun at nights. I have been looking at numerous cruises but cannot make up my mind as I have read that some companies add on daily gratuities on top of the price they quote. Can anyone suggest any cruises that fit the criteria and does not add on extra tips/ gratuities on top of the price. Thank you

If they are not added on then they are included in the cruise fare.
MSC do inclusive packages with drinks package and gratuities included from Southampton but there is no such this as a free lunch, its in the ticket price.

Edited by ziggyuk

My advice is to talk to a good cruise agent. They can advise you on all the options and prices and can often get discounts and credits not available when booking direct.

If gratuities are optional, just add the cost to the price of the cruise.

Do some research. Cruise lines vary in their ethos. For example, Disney is very child-oriented as you might expect. P&O still have a dress code of sorts in the evening. Celebrity is slightly upmarket but more casual than P&O. 

You need to think about where you want to go. Southampton to Southampton means sticking to the UK and Ireland, Northern and SE Europe. If you want to go to the Mediterranean, you will either have to fly home or fly to join.

22 minutes ago, Bob++ said:

. If you want to go to the Mediterranean, you will either have to fly home or fly to join.

How do you work that out? I've been to the Med and back on a cruise - 16 days and as far as Monaco (overnight) and two ports in Italy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Ray66 said:

How do you work that out? I've been to the Med and back on a cruise - 16 days and as far as Monaco (overnight) and two ports in Italy.

And I've been to the Mediterranean on several 14 day cruises, there's no need to fly unless you only have a week.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Personally I would look at P&O, 100% British cruisers, no tips added,  or Princess, more cosmopolitan passenger mix. Buy the Princess Plus package for £50 pppd, and that covers tips, wifi and 15 alcoholic drinks a day, plus unlimited soft drinks.

• Like 4

I agree with Wowzz,- look at P&O for your first cruise , because it's so uncomplicated, with no tipping and uses ££ not $$ 

Yes, there's a few formal nights, but you can eat elsewhere if you want an informal evening ...  I see that dressing up seems to be something you enjoy. 🙂

Go for it! 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 2/24/2023 at 11:27 PM, Bob++ said:

My advice is to talk to a good cruise agent. They can advise you on all the options and prices and can often get discounts and credits not available when booking direct.

If gratuities are optional, just add the cost to the price of the cruise.

Do some research. Cruise lines vary in their ethos. For example, Disney is very child-oriented as you might expect. P&O still have a dress code of sorts in the evening. Celebrity is slightly upmarket but more casual than P&O. 

You need to think about where you want to go. Southampton to Southampton means sticking to the UK and Ireland, Northern and SE Europe. If you want to go to the Mediterranean, you will either have to fly home or fly to join.

I know you can’t recommend a good cruise agent but any clues as to how to find one please? Thank you 

5 hours ago, Ray66 said:

There's a list here on the CC website.  There's two on there I've used - one I would recommend and one I wouldn't.

https://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/articles/best-cruise-travel-agents

Agree .. also a couple that are highly criticised, esp on the Trip Advisor cruise forum,

Just try READING up on the subject?

6 hours ago, Ray66 said:

There's a list here on the CC website.

Yes, it's odd that CC bans discussion of agents but is OK with publishing its own list with comments. Google actually found it for me and I used it to draw up a shortlist of possible companies. As you suggest, cross-referencing that list with the Tripadvisor forum is a good idea. It helped me whittle down the list and I was very happy with the one we picked for our recent Oceania cruise. Certainly an easier process than we'd previously had dealing direct with Oceania (but no financial benefit). Definitely it's a good  way to book a CRUISE.