New dinner menu

Suite Susie

29 minutes ago, startedwithamouse said:

There's really no need for a Burger and Fries in the MDR, it's available on the Pool Deck. 

Agree.

Princess had it there to replace the steak medallions that used to be there every night.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, caribill said:

Not really.

The "Princess Gourmet Beef Burger"** on the dining room menu was a fancy one and the type was not the same every evening.   (**Name was the same even with other ingredients)

For example on different evenings:

o Stilton cheese and sauteed mushrooms

o Gruyere cheese, pork belly, kimchi, beer battered jalapenos

o Caribbean jerk seasoned crab meat

Not exactly items on the children's menu

You are right - I am not very adventurous on my burgers so the children's burger is fine with me. Put bacon and cheese on it and I am happy.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, startedwithamouse said:

There were on the Chef Ernesto Umami selections on the MDR menus, prior to having a Salty Dog Gastropub, where the Umami crafted a burger.  At same time, the MDR menus had a Curtis Stone selection too on certain nights. 

There's really no need for a Burger and Fries in the MDR, it's available on the Pool Deck. 

Pretty sure the Curtis Stone partnership has ended. His SHARE restaurant on Ruby was replaced by Sabatinis and there was no mention of him. Maybe that’s why they’re sometimes offering Ernesto burgers in the MDR. Hope we get to try one. If not, well, the Wheel House has them on most ships for a price. 

The partnership with Norman Love endures, so Chocolate Journeys fans can rejoice. 

4 minutes ago, Z0nker said:

The partnership with Norman Love endures, so Chocolate Journeys fans can rejoice. 

Not with the current version of the pistachio dome. 

And the Norman Love chocolate pops no longer exist on Princess.

8 minutes ago, Z0nker said:

Pretty sure the Curtis Stone partnership has ended. His SHARE restaurant on Ruby was replaced by Sabatinis and there was no mention of him. Maybe that’s why they’re sometimes offering Ernesto burgers in the MDR. Hope we get to try one. If not, well, the Wheel House has them on most ships for a price. 

Actually, none of the desserts that used to be marked as Norman Love are currently marked as Norman Love chocolate journeys 

Edited by justafem

3 minutes ago, justafem said:

Actually, none of the desserts that used to be marked as Norman Love are currently marked as Norman Love chocolate journeys 

Wow, things are changing. It was still Chocolate Journeys on the Ruby in Sept 

15 minutes ago, Z0nker said:

As I wrote, the Umami partnership was prior to Salty Dog, and at the same time Curtis Stone items were on the MDR menu.  So this was 2018, not now.  

Haven't seen Norman Love's name on a menu since the restart. Have you?  

35 minutes ago, caribill said:

Not with the current version of the pistachio dome. 

And the Norman Love chocolate pops no longer exist on Princess.

I wonder if the contract had them (Princess) owning the recipes after the partnership was over. Some desserts still exist but with out the name Norman Love.

Edited by Coral

38 minutes ago, Z0nker said:

Wow, things are changing. It was still Chocolate Journeys on the Ruby in Sept 

I got off the Royal Feb 10, 2023,  No more Norman Love branded desserts.

I think @Coral is correct.

And the desserts have REALLY changed.  I used to love the love boat dream and pistachio dome.  Completely different desserts now.  Dream is raspberry mousse, covered in a pink sugar crust and the dome is a weird thin chocolate covering/coating with a whipped cream filling, with chopped pistachios scattered around the plate

Edited by justafem
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Coral said:

I wonder if the contract had them (Princess) owning the recipes after the partnership was over. Some desserts still exist but with out the name Norman Love.

33 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

They had them at New Years eve.

And that could be why they look and taste different now. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Happiest when cruising said:

And that could be why they look and taste different now. 

They seemed to taste the same, but it's been awhile. 

5 hours ago, caribill said:

Not on the Ruby Princess that we saw.

They had them only around midnight in the buffet area. I also checked the white and gold party to see if they had them, but no.

It was a one time thing. 

The more I see the menus the more I am tempted to just eat in the buffet.  This is going to be my first cruise on Princess. I was on a Carnival ship prior to the pandemic and swore I would never book a Carnival cruise again, my bad for not realizing Princess was owned by Carnival before I booked but I liked the itinerary.  My expectations are not high, but if I see the grossness that I saw on Carnival I will speak up loudly.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Staci0615 said:

The more I see the menus the more I am tempted to just eat in the buffet.  This is going to be my first cruise on Princess. I was on a Carnival ship prior to the pandemic and swore I would never book a Carnival cruise again, my bad for not realizing Princess was owned by Carnival before I booked but I liked the itinerary.  My expectations are not high, but if I see the grossness that I saw on Carnival I will speak up loudly.

Grossness? I'm curious about what that means. I wasn't thrilled with the menus on our cruise this month, but never went hungry. I have never been on Carnival.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Staci0615 said:

The more I see the menus the more I am tempted to just eat in the buffet. 

I, on the other hand, have found multiple dishes in each course except the pasta course that I look forward to trying.  My problem with the pasta course is that it more Italian-American than Italian in my opinion.  There is nothing wrong with Italian American but it is something almost anyone can make.  I would prefer more unusual sauces but that isn't a show stopper because I can (and do) make them at home.

I hope you do find something to eat that you like and you enjoy the rest of your cruise.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, capriccio said:

I, on the other hand, have found multiple dishes in each course except the pasta course that I look forward to trying.  My problem with the pasta course is that it more Italian-American than Italian in my opinion.  There is nothing wrong with Italian American but it is something almost anyone can make.  I would prefer more unusual sauces but that isn't a show stopper because I can (and do) make them at home.

I hope you do find something to eat that you like and you enjoy the rest of your cruise.

But what is Italian food?  Every region in Italy has its own. Being of Italian heritage, I have always considered Italian food to be an invention of non Italians. There is Neapolitan cooking, Milanese cooking, Calabrese cooking, Bolognese cooking and dozens of others,  but Italian cooking exists only in the minds of those outside of Italy. Italian-American cooking, however, now that does exist. It is pretty predictable anywhere in America or around the world. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, roadster08 said:

But what is Italian food?  Every region in Italy has its own. Being of Italian heritage, I have always considered Italian food to be an invention of non Italians. There is Neapolitan cooking, Milanese cooking, Calabrese cooking, Bolognese cooking and dozens of others,  but Italian cooking exists only in the minds of those outside of Italy. Italian-American cooking, however, now that does exist. It is pretty predictable anywhere in America or around the world. 

Having married into an Italian American family and having lived in Italy for 5 years I agree with you about the varying regional dishes.  That is my point.  It would be wonderful to see pasta (as the course is named) from throughout the country.  The predictability of spaghetti and meatballs or lasagna (which will never be as good as my mother-in-law's or mine for that matter 😊) is boring to us.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, capriccio said:

Having married into an Italian American family and having lived in Italy for 5 years I agree with you about the varying regional dishes.  That is my point.  It would be wonderful to see pasta (as the course is named) from throughout the country.  The predictability of spaghetti and meatballs or lasagna (which will never be as good as my mother-in-law's or mine for that matter 😊) is boring to us.

Agree  I am exactly like you. The menu should say Lasagna, prepared X-style. 

4 hours ago, Torfamm said:

Here is our menu for tonight

image.png.834a211e714e5627f39b9dab1eb79df8.png

I wonder if it is really gelato which is a different preparation than ice cream. I suspect it is ice cream and Princess uses the word gelato to make it seem something it is not.

From Mr. Google:

How is gelato different from ice cream?

Ingredients. While both gelato and ice cream contain cream, milk and sugar, there are differences, too. Authentic gelato uses more milk and less cream than ice cream and generally doesn't use egg yolks, which are a common ingredient in ice cream.

3 hours ago, Staci0615 said:

One difference: The Princess dining room tables have tablecloths on them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3