Le bistro filet de loup de mer

coscab

Hoping someone could post a pic of the filet de loup de mer at LeBistro, I am not a fish eater but would like to try sea bass, I don't want to be disappointed. 

For me a lot depends on looks, not just taste, any help would be appreciated.

i had it on the jewel 9 day trans-canal panama -panama.,  this past jan. it was just ok, and doesnt look anything worth photographing. the lobster thermidor (although there is an upchcarge), however, was amazing. on the nickel and dime side, they added a $10 upcharge to the fillet, although a fillet in cagney's has no upcharge added.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, coscab said:

Hoping someone could post a pic of the filet de loup de mer at LeBistro, I am not a fish eater but would like to try sea bass, I don't want to be disappointed. 

Try googling that.  You'll get several pictures although not necessarily of the Le Bistro item.

18 minutes ago, complawyer said:

i had it on the jewel 9 day trans-canal panama -panama.,  this past jan. it was just ok, and doesnt look anything worth photographing. the lobster thermidor (although there is an upchcarge), however, was amazing. on the nickel and dime side, they added a $10 upcharge to the fillet, although a fillet in cagney's has no upcharge added.

The filet in Le Bistro has foie gras slathered on it.

I don't know why some would want to ruin a perfectly good steak by covering it with liver.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

I don't know why some would want to ruin a perfectly good steak by covering it with liver.

Yeah.  My daughter had to educate me on what that crap was that I just pushed aside.  That said, the steak was delicious! 😎

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

Try googling that.  You'll get several pictures although not necessarily of the Le Bistro item.

14 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Yeah.  My daughter had to educate me on what that crap was that I just pushed aside.  That said, the steak was delicious! 😎

I'd rather have the foie gras than the steak tho I do like steak. I can get steak any day but not foie gras.

• Like 8

14 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

I find this to be most amusing.  The most common response to my comment that I find liver distasteful, is 'You need to try this recipe, it doesn't taste like liver'.  Well, if you like liver, wouldn't your favorite reciepe taste like liver?

• Haha 2

34 minutes ago, thespiritmovesme said:

I'd rather have the foie gras than the steak tho I do like steak. I can get steak any day but not foie gras.

Me too. And one does not "slather" Foie on a steak. It is perfectly seared and placed on the steak. Yum

Le Bistro - Norwegian Prima 

image.png.411ef1b42a690b6602606b2068d466dd.png

• Like 1

17 hours ago, coscab said:

What’s in a name?
Loup de Mer is better know as European Sea Bass, Mediterranean Bass and/or Branzino depending on the country in which is being served. No doubt other names as well. These names are more palatable to diners.
Keep in mind that Chilean Sea Bass is Patagonian Toothfish. 
Perhaps a fishmonger could add additional details.

Haddock or Cod anyone?

• Like 3

17 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

Interesting. Meanwhile,I don't understand why someone would want to ruin a perfectly good portion of foie by unceremoniously shoving a steak under it.

Some things are best when they don't have to share the spotlight. 

Edited by zzdoug
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, zzdoug said:

Interesting. Meanwhile,I don't understand why someone would want to ruin a perfectly good portion of foie by unceremoniously shoving a steak under it.

Some things are best when they don't have to share the spotlight. 

I understand that food choices are very personal.

Personally, I can't abide liver.  

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

Speaking of fish -- I had the Dover sole twice on Le Bistro during our very recent B2B cruises on the Gem, and it was excellent both times.

Good choice!
The Sole Grenobloise is my Better Half’s choice at Le Bistro and is usually excellent. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Turtles06 said:

Speaking of fish -- I had the Dover sole twice on Le Bistro during our very recent B2B cruises on the Gem, and it was excellent both times.

39 minutes ago, Crown Vic said:

Good choice!
The Sole Grenobloise is my Better Half’s choice at Le Bistro and is usually excellent. 

Thanks.  We've two evenings scheduled at Le Bistro.  I plan on the lobster thermador the first night and I booked the second night to try the Dover Sole.  Glad to hear the excellent reviews on the Sole.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Thanks.  We've two evenings scheduled at Le Bistro.  I plan on the lobster thermador the first night and I booked the second night to try the Dover Sole.  Glad to hear the excellent reviews on the Sole.

Have also had the Lobster Thermidor. Rather subpar and rubbery on the Pride of America last October but excellent on the Norwegian Dawn in January. Go for it!
Enjoy…

51 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Thanks.  We've two evenings scheduled at Le Bistro.  I plan on the lobster thermidor the first night and I booked the second night to try the Dover Sole.  Glad to hear the excellent reviews on the Sole.

The Sole is excellent as well as the lobster

image.png.d27125f12b913d3743ddd70b0fe2e35d.png

image.png.cef626d0e0b51d3e279ecbf8396f09a6.png

• Like 1

23 hours ago, complawyer said:

on the nickel and dime side, they added a $10 upcharge to the fillet, although a fillet in cagney's has no upcharge added.

Bummer. I like Le Bistro for the atmosphere/service but I usually order the filet.  If it's a surcharge in Le Bistro but not Cagney's, I probably won't.  What about Ocean Blue?  Is that filet a surcharge as well?

28 minutes ago, phillygwm said:

Bummer. I like Le Bistro for the atmosphere/service but I usually order the filet.  If it's a surcharge in Le Bistro but not Cagney's, I probably won't.  What about Ocean Blue?  Is that filet a surcharge as well?

The reason for the upcharge on the filet is the inclusion of foie gras.  No other restaurant has the foie gras.  

• Like 1

On 2/24/2023 at 5:37 PM, coscab said:

People really like the Dover sole. I have had the sea bass and the Dover sole different times at Le Bistro. I much prefer the sea bass. It is thicker so tends to be juicier. Both are mild tasting fish.