Le bistro filet de loup de mer

coscab

are you aware of the process to obtain foie gras?  they force feed geese and/or ducks continually to engorge and enlarge their livers and voila! you have foie gras .

it's inhumane and i believe most u.s. restaurants dont even offer it anymore (although i could be wrong). how could you possibly enjoy this dish under the circumstances?

chief matejrk, i'm with you 100% they can keep the liver in any size shape or form

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Wait a tick.  So, if I tell them to hold the liver, they don't charge me the upcharge?  Nice!

6 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

give it a try but I doubt it.  Probably increase the upcharge since that would require special handling.

2 minutes ago, ggTexasGal said:

🤪 Your reply does seem to align with NCL logic!

The special handling upcharge would stem from the need to dispose of the excess foie gras which would, IMHO, have to be treated as hazardous waste.

• Haha 3

12 hours ago, complawyer said:

are you aware of the process to obtain foie gras?  they force feed geese and/or ducks continually to engorge and enlarge their livers and voila! you have foie gras .

it's inhumane and i believe most u.s. restaurants dont even offer it anymore (although i could be wrong). how could you possibly enjoy this dish under the circumstances?

chief matejrk, i'm with you 100% they can keep the liver in any size shape or form

I would pay to have them leave it off.  Thats why I have never eaten Veal and never will, some inhumane practices still exist for those poor little calfs.

Just now, RocketMan275 said:

You do know the first steps in preparing foie gras is to force feed the bird until it's liver is enlarged it may burst?

Yes, I do.  Did you know that the first step in preparing a beef steak is to hit the cow in the head with a hammer, thus killing it?

Personally, I am a card carrying member of PETA, People Eating Tasty Animals.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, The Traveling Man said:

Yes, I do.  Did you know that the first step in preparing a beef steak is to hit the cow in the head with a hammer, thus killing it?

Personally, I am a card carrying member of PETA, People Eating Tasty Animals.

Yes, I knew that but at least you get something tasty from the cow, not at all like duck liver.

On 2/24/2023 at 7:05 PM, RocketMan275 said:

Try googling that.  You'll get several pictures although not necessarily of the Le Bistro item.

The filet in Le Bistro has foie gras slathered on it.

I don't know why some would want to ruin a perfectly good steak by covering it with liver.

Usually when steak is slathered with something, they are trying to hide something - like a lousy steak.  Not saying that is the case in LeBistro, just saying if it's a good quality steak, it shouldn't need to be slathered with anything or have anything set on top of it.

On 2/25/2023 at 10:51 AM, Crown Vic said:

Keep in mind that Chilean Sea Bass is Patagonian Toothfish. 
Perhaps a fishmonger could add additional details.

I thought it could be any one of many different fishes - never really know what you are getting when ordering "Chilean Sea Bass".

On 2/26/2023 at 8:04 AM, RocketMan275 said:

Probably increase the upcharge since that would require special handling.

Exactly aligned with NCLs core business model.

42 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Catfood.

For many years, mostly a century or two ago, lobster was considered trash food.  The genteel folks in major cities as well as small towns all up and down the Eastern Seaboard would turn up their noses at it.  Lobster was seen as unfit to eat by those who could afford anything else, so naturally it found its way into the kitchens on onto the dinner tables of the poorest of the poor, Southern slaves.  They managed to keep the secret of this delectable dish to themselves for decades until someone else finally tried it.  Today it is among the most expensive and sought after foods in the US as well as in many other countries.  Or, as Mark Twain was once quoted, "Twas a brave man who first ate an oyster."  Food preferences are inherently personal.  There are many delicacies found in the cuisines of other countries which we Americans wouldn't dream of tasting.  I'm sure there are a lot of things which many Americans relish which those in other countries would never consider eating.  So, we'll keep eating foie gras, sushi, etc. and you can stick to steak.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, The Traveling Man said:

For many years, mostly a century or two ago, lobster was considered trash food.  The genteel folks in major cities as well as small towns all up and down the Eastern Seaboard would turn up their noses at it.  Lobster was seen as unfit to eat by those who could afford anything else, so naturally it found its way into the kitchens on onto the dinner tables of the poorest of the poor, Southern slaves.  They managed to keep the secret of this delectable dish to themselves for decades until someone else finally tried it.  Today it is among the most expensive and sought after foods in the US as well as in many other countries.  Or, as Mark Twain was once quoted, "Twas a brave man who first ate an oyster."  Food preferences are inherently personal.  There are many delicacies found in the cuisines of other countries which we Americans wouldn't dream of tasting.  I'm sure there are a lot of things which many Americans relish which those in other countries would never consider eating.  So, we'll keep eating foie gras, sushi, etc. and you can stick to steak.

It should obvious from your story that even the poorest of the poor wouldn't eat foie gras.   

BTW, it's an insult to sushi to compare it to foie gras.

On 2/25/2023 at 7:02 PM, ChiefMateJRK said:

Wait a tick.  So, if I tell them to hold the liver, they don't charge me the upcharge?  Nice!

Actually when I was on the Escape from Jan. 21-28 it was exactly that.  No Foie gras no upcharge.

• Like 1