Amsterdam cruise port taxi supply

3Shelaghs

Lot's of taxi's will be lined up. We self disembarked this past August. Our ship ended coming in the evening before due to the tide and getting through the lock. The Amsterdam port is amazingly efficient...one of the best we've been through lately. Just allow enough time for getting through Schiphol...we were very lucky outbound but inbound a whole different story.

18 hours ago, 3Shelaghs said:

Darn!#@$*($!....... last port will be Scotland. Ok thanks, will tack on time.

I could be wrong, but I don't recall my passport being inspected at all in Amsterdam (where we overnighted before disembarking).  Our previous port of call was in Scotland.  Our ship embarked from Southampton.  I think it was all done electronically.  I may have just forgotten about it being done.  This was in September of last year, so well after BREXIT.

Edited by MeHeartCruising

3 hours ago, MeHeartCruising said:

I could be wrong, but I don't recall my passport being inspected at all in Amsterdam (where we overnighted before disembarking).  Our previous port of call was in Scotland.  Our ship embarked from Southampton.  I think it was all done electronically.  I may have just forgotten about it being done.  This was in September of last year, so well after BREXIT.

If you overnighted at the disembarkation port, the ship was cleared the day before. Not totally relevant to the Op's situation.

11 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

If you overnighted at the disembarkation port, the ship was cleared the day before. Not totally relevant to the Op's situation.

Except anyone was free to leave the ship permanently upon arrival if they wanted to.  Does it really matter when people chose to leave the ship?  I left the ship on the day of arrival, shortly after docking, and didn't have to show a passport.  Later in the day, I returned to the ship.  The next morning, I left the ship for good and never had to show a passport. 

My point was that when you leave the ship (whenever that may be), you likely won't be slowed down by a line at the passport check.  This is relevant to the OPs situation since they are asking about the time necessary to disembark.

Edited by MeHeartCruising

9 minutes ago, MeHeartCruising said:

Except anyone was free to leave the ship permanently upon arrival if they wanted to.  

That's  what "clearing the ship" means...everyone can leave as they please. Yes, in that case, it was probably done electronically.

Our last visit to Amsterdam, preceded by a stop in the UK, (and not spending the night in port the preceding day)we had to do a passport check as we exited the ship. They only had two agents checking 2000 pax.

That was my quandry. I have never overnighted  in Amsterdam, but also never remember passport control either 2 previous disembarkations there. LOL... gee maybe I'm an illegal??

Will rely on taxi's queing rather then prebooking one, and keep fingers crossed it's quick 🙂

If there are no taxi's available or overwhelmed or etc, the Centraal Station is a short walk. There's a Taxi Standplaats too, on the waterfront. But when you are at the CS the train hop to Schiphol airport is also very tempting, if one can manage the train. Enjoy Amsterdam! :classic_happy:

Edited by FreestyleNovice
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
20 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

Does anyone have an estimate of the cost of a taxi from the cruise port to the airport in Amsterdam?

Probably Euro 50 or more depending traffic.