Punta Sur - Pros/Cons?

MississippiMom

We have 22 family members, ages 7 - 60, cruising in the summer.  Some of us have been to that Cozumel cruise port LOTS of times, but for others it will be their first time.  We envision that a very small handful may do their own walking-around-the-town thing, but most will want to attempt to hang out at a beach together.  We are currently considering one of the two parks, Chankanaab or Punta Sur, since each family can have more control over their expenses than going to a pricey AI.  The third option might be the less expensive Playa Palancar, but we would prefer to be able to purchase entry in advance to our destination, since we would hate to show up somewhere and not all be able to get in.

What did you love or hate when you spent your port day at Punta Sur?

(If we choose Punta Sur, we, definitely CANNOT go via jeeps, so we will reach out to ToursPlaza or Black Hat Tours to arrange travel to/from.)

Chankanaab has lots of activities.  but a steep (IMO) admission price.  Punta Sur also requires purchase of entry top the eco park.  Not sure what's going on with the beach club there. But think it's separate from the park.

I can't see Playa Palancar  being so crowded your group would be denied entry.  Good food. Good drink.  Lots of loungers, ability to snorkel and rent kayaks (maybe SUPs, too).   Taxis go there, could be cheaper per person than booking with Tours or BlackHat.    I think for 6-8 passengers the taxi fare to Palancar is $50 per taxi vs $70 to Punta Sur, higher than $30 to Chankanaab.

• Thanks 1

Chankanaab usually has $2 off coupon available online.

As @crewsweeper says there is an entrance fee to both and only about $5 pp difference now. I don’t actually think the price for Chankanaab is bad if you want the included activities although several are extra as explained on the website. People can choose if/what they want to eat and drink. 

I have been to Punta Sur but not the beach club so no idea about that - i think perhaps there are two, although that seems to vary?  I definitely wouldn’t go there (and especially not with that number of people) without pre-arranged transport. The advantage of a private driver is you can make additional stops if desired although keep in mind the beach club at Punta Sur is a long way down the road and coupled with the entrance charge will probably take most of your time to be economical. You can stop at lagoon and lighthouse on your way to beach club.

Chankanaab and Palancar can easily be done by taxi vans and people can set their own time schedules without having to wait for everyone to leave at the same time. I dont think Palancar would be full if you get there early but it does/can get busy mid-day. Extra charge for loungers and umbrella.

Another club to consider might be Buccanos, $20 entrance fee credited to food and drink, small beach, pool, snorkeling, good food and drinks. There are a couple of elevated  day beds with a view for extra or free loungers and chairs. I am not sure if you can pre-book entrance but might be worth contacting them for a group that size to see what they  can offer, maybe a group rate or area together?

Edited by c-leg5
  • Thanks 1

Yes, there are two beaches at Punta Sur. I think the beach we went to was called Playa El Cielo (according to the menu they gave us). We did the trip by doing a jeep tour (which I understand you do not want to do) and Punta Sur was the last half of our trip.

If you are getting a driver, check to see if they allow you to see all of Punta Sur: the light house with amazing views, a museum, and they lagoon. The beach was very pretty and pristine. You could walk forever down the beach and explore as well. Snorkeling is out in front of it if you wanted to swim out and see that. Of course there is a restaurant there as well. 

You can see pictures of our trip there, located HERE. Scroll toward the bottom of the review to see the Punta Sur part. 

We've been to Chankanaab a few times (but it's been awhile). There's a lot to do there and it's a different kind of "beach" with snorkeling in front of it (access by walking down stairs in the water). They have a sealion show, a very small pool, zipline was installed after we were there, and replica mayan ruins. HERE and  HERE are my reviews with pictures. 

Playa Palancar is a nice, pretty quiet beach, with tons of shade if needed. They had tons of peacocks roaming around when we were there. It's a relaxing, chill type of beach for just sun bathing, swimming in the ocean and food. HERE is my review of it. 

I hope you find the perfect place for your group. 

• 1 month later...

Well, I thought I could edit my original post, but can't seem to figure that out this morning.  (Might need a bit more caffeine. 🤪)

Now, the total family members that want to have the beach excursion together in Cozumel is down to 15.  Two of us are doing the research and will "present" (I use this term very loosely) to the others by the end of April.  

We had stopped looking at Punta Sur, due to the distance, but now the rep from Black Hat Tours (currently the better rate for two private vans for us) is recommending that we consider the beach there, since it is less likely to have sargassum issues in July.  We are waiting on an additional reply from the rep to see if they have connections to set aside (in advance) beach chairs & umbrellas for 15 together at Punta Sur.  

Playa Palancar is still currently "winning," though, since it gives most in our group the freedom to arrive & depart via taxi at their leisure.  

27 minutes ago, MississippiMom said:

Well, I thought I could edit my original post, but can't seem to figure that out this morning.  (Might need a bit more caffeine. 🤪)

Now, the total family members that want to have the beach excursion together in Cozumel is down to 15.  Two of us are doing the research and will "present" (I use this term very loosely) to the others by the end of April.  

We had stopped looking at Punta Sur, due to the distance, but now the rep from Black Hat Tours (currently the better rate for two private vans for us) is recommending that we consider the beach there, since it is less likely to have sargassum issues in July.  We are waiting on an additional reply from the rep to see if they have connections to set aside (in advance) beach chairs & umbrellas for 15 together at Punta Sur.  

Playa Palancar is still currently "winning," though, since it gives most in our group the freedom to arrive & depart via taxi at their leisure.  

Punta Sur is nice and can be a full day (in ship excursion terms). It will probably be better than the east coast for sargassum -  not sure how different it would be to Palancar. I understand there are two beach bars at Punta Sur although hard to keep up as they keep changing name and ownership. 

Certainly more flexibility with transport to Palancar.

@ Mitsugirly has photo reviews of both although somewhat dated now and currents can affect the beaches. Not sure how much the storm that reduced the beach at Occidental had on Palancar it has been several years since we were there as we were finding it had become too busy (although to be fair we arrived at lunchtime that day, busiest time).

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

After our July 2023 cruise, I will definitely report back on our experience.   Our family group of 14 decided on hiring Black Hat Tours to take us (in two vans) to Punta Sur Eco Park and then return to the port via the East Coast "wild side", since none of us have seen that part of Cozumel before.  Our middle-daughter said it best, "I like it!  It's a good mix of nerd stuff for the nerds and beach time for the sun lovers."  We even have a rainy day back-up plan with Black Hat Tours that will entertain both adults and children.

A big thanks to the CCers who have answered my MANY questions.

2 hours ago, MississippiMom said:

After our July 2023 cruise, I will definitely report back on our experience.   Our family group of 14 decided on hiring Black Hat Tours to take us (in two vans) to Punta Sur Eco Park and then return to the port via the East Coast "wild side", since none of us have seen that part of Cozumel before.  Our middle-daughter said it best, "I like it!  It's a good mix of nerd stuff for the nerds and beach time for the sun lovers."  We even have a rainy day back-up plan with Black Hat Tours that will entertain both adults and children.

A big thanks to the CCers who have answered my MANY questions.

Glad you have reached a decision.

A “drive-by” of the east coast will give you a taste of that side of Cozumel and hopefully you can return to explore more when it isn’t sargassum season.

Look forward to your review of one of the beach clubs at Punta Sur we have yet to stop there. Interested in your “rainy day” plan.

Edited by c-leg5

• 4 months later...

I'm in the "thinking" mode of doing Punta Sur in Cozumel because of the lighthouse, and even the surrounding area that I just seen. There will be 7 or 8 of us doing this in February next year, and I'm going to see if I can get my group to do this. It was mentioned of snorkeling, and most that are with me like to do this too. I see where Black Hat Tours was recommended. My first question (that is "IF" they did), did they pick you up at the ship port, or some place else? Also if I look under Black Hat Tours, will they be in several locations, or just in Cozumel? Also, just a "ball park figure," what was the cost per person if you remember at that time, as I know most cost have gone up.

22 minutes ago, beshears said:

I'm in the "thinking" mode of doing Punta Sur in Cozumel because of the lighthouse, and even the surrounding area that I just seen. There will be 7 or 8 of us doing this in February next year, and I'm going to see if I can get my group to do this. It was mentioned of snorkeling, and most that are with me like to do this too. I see where Black Hat Tours was recommended. My first question (that is "IF" they did), did they pick you up at the ship port, or some place else? Also if I look under Black Hat Tours, will they be in several locations, or just in Cozumel? Also, just a "ball park figure," what was the cost per person if you remember at that time, as I know most cost have gone up.

I am not sure if @MississippiMom ever reported back on her experience. 

I believe Black Hat is contacted via FB but didn’t used to publish rates. I don’t use FB so I don’t know if that has changed. 

We have used ToursPlaza for 15+ years. They have a website with prices and suggestions. Private drivers need to be booked in advance to get permission from union and will meet you inside the port but you may need to exit port gates to get in van. They can probably get permission to pick up in cases of mobility difficulties.

If you know exactly where you want to go you can negotiate for a driver from the taxi stand at the port or their are other taxi drivers recommended on TripAdvisor but i believe all have similar pricing.

Glad you tagged me, @c-leg5.  So MUCH has occurred in our lives, since our cruise that I never did report back.

We did use Black Hat Tours, @beshears.  They were super easy to communicate with and very accommodating with questions/answers.  Just go out on their website, FB page or Instagram and shoot them a message about what you have in mind and they will give you an estimated cost, based on vehicle sizes and size of your group. 

I would use Black Hat Tours, again, however, I would NOT recommend Punta Sur for a larger group (we were 15) on a cruise ship port day.  I knew in advance that it was a long drive out there and back, and the original plan was that we would be able to stop and look around at lots of places to/from, but almost everyone in our group wound up complaining about the heat (yes, it was July, in Mexico) and didn't want to get out of the vans.   Drinks and food at Punta Sur are SO expensive, and their connectivity makes it almost impossible to use a credit card.  It was kind of a disaster for our group, in general, but it was NOT the fault of Black Hat Tours.  I told everyone in writing, REPEATEDLY, to pay attention to prices and to bring cash and that we would be stopping at places and most acted like it was the very first time they heard it on that day.  I felt kind of bad for our drivers, who were trying but kept getting rejected.

39 minutes ago, MississippiMom said:

Glad you tagged me, @c-leg5.  So MUCH has occurred in our lives, since our cruise that I never did report back.

We did use Black Hat Tours, @beshears.  They were super easy to communicate with and very accommodating with questions/answers.  Just go out on their website, FB page or Instagram and shoot them a message about what you have in mind and they will give you an estimated cost, based on vehicle sizes and size of your group. 

I would use Black Hat Tours, again, however, I would NOT recommend Punta Sur for a larger group (we were 15) on a cruise ship port day.  I knew in advance that it was a long drive out there and back, and the original plan was that we would be able to stop and look around at lots of places to/from, but almost everyone in our group wound up complaining about the heat (yes, it was July, in Mexico) and didn't want to get out of the vans.   Drinks and food at Punta Sur are SO expensive, and their connectivity makes it almost impossible to use a credit card.  It was kind of a disaster for our group, in general, but it was NOT the fault of Black Hat Tours.  I told everyone in writing, REPEATEDLY, to pay attention to prices and to bring cash and that we would be stopping at places and most acted like it was the very first time they heard it on that day.  I felt kind of bad for our drivers, who were trying but kept getting rejected.

Glad to hear transport worked out but sorry about your problems organizing your group. I know you had a lot of problems leading up to the cruise and don’t envy you having to organize that many. Fortunately I have only had a maximum of 6 at a time and even that is difficult enough at times. Sometimes it is just best to let everyone do their own thing and meet up for dinner!

I agree July in the Caribbean can be brutal, we cut short our last trip to the east side in July because of the heat - it is so draining, but disappointing when you are only visiting somewhere for a short time.

I think I probably warned you about cell service and cash during your planning and it sounds like you tried to advise your group but some people don’t/wont listen, but it is worth pointing this out and emphasizing to @beshears so thanks for the reminder.

Thank you "both" for your replies, as I have written this information down, and just "checked" to make sure if/when that time comes, I was able to contact either of them. I know there will be 7 or 8 of us, but at least it won't be like 15 which I wouldn't want to be involved in. Up till just about 3 years ago, I have always just done my many cruises with one person, but now I have been inviting my 3 son/wives and a friend, as my husband is a homebody, if you get my drift?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, c-leg5 said:

Glad to hear transport worked out but sorry about your problems organizing your group. I know you had a lot of problems leading up to the cruise and don’t envy you having to organize that many. Fortunately I have only had a maximum of 6 at a time and even that is difficult enough at times. Sometimes it is just best to let everyone do their own thing and meet up for dinner!

I agree July in the Caribbean can be brutal, we cut short our last trip to the east side in July because of the heat - it is so draining, but disappointing when you are only visiting somewhere for a short time.

I think I probably warned you about cell service and cash during your planning and it sounds like you tried to advise your group but some people don’t/wont listen, but it is worth pointing this out and emphasizing to @beshears so thanks for the reminder.

Here's the "thing" . . . I had no intention of coordinating that many at the port stops.  I wanted to toss out ideas to everyone and let them just figure out their own thing.  We are a family of 6, so that's what I was focused on.   Then my sibling and his family of 5 decided to go with us, which was fine.   It never occurred to me that the various not-married/no-children family members wouldn't band together and plan their excursions.  Instead, they looked at the two cousins with children and tagged along with us.  (NEVER AGAIN, for me, that is).  We did have others who stayed on the ship at port, which was their choice.

I would definitely cruise as a large group, again, because that was tons of fun, especially during dinner and in the evenings.  However, I would either stick with cruise sponsored excursions or just not share our port plans with everyone.  Live & learn.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MississippiMom said:

Here's the "thing" . . . I had no intention of coordinating that many at the port stops.  I wanted to toss out ideas to everyone and let them just figure out their own thing.  We are a family of 6, so that's what I was focused on.   Then my sibling and his family of 5 decided to go with us, which was fine.   It never occurred to me that the various not-married/no-children family members wouldn't band together and plan their excursions.  Instead, they looked at the two cousins with children and tagged along with us.  (NEVER AGAIN, for me, that is).  We did have others who stayed on the ship at port, which was their choice.

I would definitely cruise as a large group, again, because that was tons of fun, especially during dinner and in the evenings.  However, I would either stick with cruise sponsored excursions or just not share our port plans with everyone.  Live & learn.

Awww, don't let this experience discourage you. I've traveled with my kids and their kids before (total of 12 once) and yes it can be hectic but it was amazing experiences. I coordinate everything we do on cruises and they just follow along (even though I have a non-punctual daughter for everything she does). 😄  If you ever need ideas for port stops, I have plenty on my website. I love helping others out with ideas. 

• Thanks 1

Can anyone give a ballpark on how long it takes to get to Punta Sur from the cruise ship? Will be on Norwegian & it is one of the things I haven’t done yet. They are offering an excursion now but it says only two hours for the tour. (I may look into a private tour as well but the ship cost is actually pretty reasonable with discounts). 

1 hour ago, tartist said:

Can anyone give a ballpark on how long it takes to get to Punta Sur from the cruise ship? Will be on Norwegian & it is one of the things I haven’t done yet. They are offering an excursion now but it says only two hours for the tour. (I may look into a private tour as well but the ship cost is actually pretty reasonable with discounts). 

I don’t understand what 2 hours relates to.

NCL generally docks in town at Punta Langosta. It will take 40-50 minutes each way from Langosta to the lighthouse and beach. It is a long slow road once you enter the park from the entrance. Maybe @crewsweeper and @mitsugirly will comment?

I read the description and it sounds like you do actually enter the park so no idea if 2 hours is traveling time, or time at the park. I would look at a private driver and set my own schedule unless you can get more details from the cruise line. Hopefully someone who has done the excursion can comment. 

I have only done to park combined with a tour round the island and we only went as far as the lighthouse and lagoon - 5 hours total. The beach club is beyond and we have always intended to return for a longer visit.

8 hours ago, c-leg5 said:

I don’t understand what 2 hours relates to.

NCL generally docks in town at Punta Langosta. It will take 40-50 minutes each way from Langosta to the lighthouse and beach. It is a long slow road once you enter the park from the entrance. Maybe @crewsweeper and @mitsugirly will comment?

I read the description and it sounds like you do actually enter the park so no idea if 2 hours is traveling time, or time at the park. I would look at a private driver and set my own schedule unless you can get more details from the cruise line. Hopefully someone who has done the excursion can comment. 

I have only done to park combined with a tour round the island and we only went as far as the lighthouse and lagoon - 5 hours total. The beach club is beyond and we have always intended to return for a longer visit.

Thank you! That’s honestly super helpful. This whole thread is. Always so good to hear about other’s experiences!