Hotels in NY

DrTee

20 minutes ago, DrTee said:

What hotels does Cunard use for NY departures?

Think it was Hilton Midtown.  CC members will kindly update.

But remember Cunard charge pp, plus you’ll not be able to select room standard or position, usually one will receive a “junk” room.   Best book direct with hotel to save my angst.  One can still book transfers only from hotel to ship via Cunard.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

The Cunard US website offers pre-voyage hotel options at these three New York hotels.

NYC Hilton Midtown
NYC Marriott Marquis
The Knickerbocker

What are the advantages to these 3? Do you know if they are near Penn Station(which I would need) or how far miles and timewise from the dock? Do they give a group discount if a lot of passengers will be using the hotel? Is it better to get your own transportation? Thanks.

Back in 2018 the UK brochure suggested the hotels and prices below. We looked at many booking sites but made all reservations on booking.com. Much bigger rooms were available at about half the Cunard prices at several hotels. Due to the pandemic we made repeated bookings and cancellations.  In 2022 we ended up in Sofitel which had comfortable 355 sq ft rooms and was just far enough away from Times Square.

Out TA had suggested Marriott Marquis but having seen how close it was to the craziness of Times Square I would have hated it.

Marriott Marquis Times Square; RATES FROM £220*, ADDITIONAL NIGHTS FROM £160*.

Four Seasons Downtown; RATES FROM £430*, ADDITIONAL NIGHTS FROM £310*

Hilton Midtown; RATES FROM £190*, ADDITIONAL NIGHTS FROM £130*

*All hotel rates are per person per night in £ sterling based on two adults sharing a double room in 2020.

Edited by D&N
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Think it was Hilton Midtown.  CC members will kindly update.

But remember Cunard charge pp, plus you’ll not be able to select room standard or position, usually one will receive a “junk” room.   Best book direct with hotel to save my angst.  One can still book transfers only from hotel to ship via Cunard.

I agree.

We were bitten decades  ago, when quite green about these things,  when we booked a 'package' [ not Cunard] and we were basically allocated a broom closet.

Apparently, 'run of house' gives the hotel carte blanche  to utilise whatever room available. From then on, we booked out own hotels and so got specified rooms. The rates might not be so favourable, but the rooms definitely are,

• Like 1

You may also want to check out the Marriott Brooklyn Bridge in downtown Brooklyn for a quicker and cheaper car service/Uber ride to the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal vs a Manhattan hotel. 

If you’re just coming in the night before your departure, this Brooklyn hotel maybe a better alternative vs staying In Manhattan. It’s two subway stops to get to Lower Manhattan if needed. 

This Brooklyn hotel would not be convenient for departures out of the Manhattan cruise terminal however and I would recommend staying in a Times Square area hotel for that situation. 

I work in NYC and spent many formative years in Brooklyn. Don’t be afraid of Brooklyn!

Edited by NE John
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, skleeb said:

What are the advantages to these 3? Do you know if they are near Penn Station(which I would need) or how far miles and timewise from the dock? Do they give a group discount if a lot of passengers will be using the hotel? Is it better to get your own transportation? Thanks.

As a New Yorker I can tell you none of them are close to the dock in Brooklyn. Recommend Hilton near WTC and hotels can arrange car

40 minutes ago, tony s said:

As a New Yorker I can tell you none of them are close to the dock in Brooklyn. Recommend Hilton near WTC and hotels can arrange car

Thanks for info. This is for May, 2024. Actually, I was thinking of walking from Penn Station(taking the train from MD) to a hotel, then getting transportation to the Brooklyn dock the next day. You think there is a better way for me? Solo traveler, 67 years young by then, 2 rolling carry-on size suitcases, 

Your choice of hotel all depends on what, if anything, you want to see and do in NYC.  If you want to spend a day being a bit of a tourist, then Times Square is where all the action is!  Personally, whenever we go to NYC for a weekend, we usually select hotels in Midtown East, always take the train and pull our suitcases along for those blocks.  We are in very good shape and do spend a lot time walking all over in NYC. Hotel costs are going to be higher in these popular areas.

If you just want to be close to the cruise port, then you could take the train up, then take a taxi to a cheaper hotel closer to the port.  You will be away from most of the tourist sites.

We actually drove up straight from Philly the same day as the cruise last year and parked at the port.  The rate is set and was about $30.00 a day.  It might depend how long you are gone, and if you are taking a TA and back or flying one way.  Have a great time!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, skleeb said:

I don't think people have responded directly to one of your questions, so here goes.

The hotels Cunard uses all look like at least a 10 minute walk from Penn Station, but you'd need to get through the theater district and Times Square, so the timing would depend heavily on what day and time you're arriving. (For what it's worth, given their locations a cab ride probably wouldn't be significantly quicker.) On the other hand, you would certainly not be the only person dragging a few suitcases through Times Square, regardless of the day or time. Overall, they're not a particularly desirable location unless you plan activities in midtown.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, TouchstoneFeste said:

I don't think people have responded directly to one of your questions, so here goes.

The hotels Cunard uses all look like at least a 10 minute walk from Penn Station, but you'd need to get through the theater district and Times Square, so the timing would depend heavily on what day and time you're arriving. (For what it's worth, given their locations a cab ride probably wouldn't be significantly quicker.) On the other hand, you would certainly not be the only person dragging a few suitcases through Times Square, regardless of the day or time. Overall, they're not a particularly desirable location unless you plan activities in midtown.

So… if arriving at Penn Station it’s, at least, a crowded 10 block walk to those three hotels (15 for the Hilton) so a cab would be needed for your luggage. Penn Station is on 33rd Street, Times Square starts at 42nd to 52nd. 

The Brooklyn Cruise Terminal is a solid 30 minute cab ride from Times Square, depending on traffic. You’ll probably pay a ~$13 toll to get to the Terminal from Manhattan too. 

Again, if one is flying in the day before and need to stay just one night, look to take a cab from the airport to the Brooklyn Bridge Marriott, then it’s just a 10 minute car service ride to the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal the next day for embarkation. That evening in Brooklyn, check out the views of Lower Manhattan from the Brooklyn Heights Promenade near the Brooklyn hotel - stunning! Moonstruck was filmed there. You’ll potentially save on tolls in/out of Manhattan too. 

Why bother schlepping (NYC jargon) all your stuff to midtown Manhattan to only go back to Brooklyn the next day?

Edited by NE John
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, skleeb said:

Thanks for info. This is for May, 2024. Actually, I was thinking of walking from Penn Station(taking the train from MD) to a hotel, then getting transportation to the Brooklyn dock the next day. You think there is a better way for me? Solo traveler, 67 years young by then, 2 rolling carry-on size suitcases, 

Knickerbocker is doable also Grand Hyatt 42nd and Lexington. Anything near Penn not so great 

• Like 1

I would still suggest looking at booking.com even if you don't book through their site.

You can search for "Penn Station, New York, New York State, United States" or other landmarks and set filter to less than 1km (1,100yds).

It will show hotels on a map and you can sort by "distance from landmark" letting you see what's nearest the station.

When you look at the hotel's rooms, whether available or not, you should find the room size.

My experience is that although there are hotels available for May 2024, there may be more about a year before dates.  If I found one I liked now I would book a deal that allows cancellation up to a few days prior to stay. Then if I found something better I'd book it and cancel the original.

In the unlikely event that I was booking in that location I would be tempted by: The Herald 8 by LuxUrban on W35th at 6th. Doesn't look the most stylish of hotels, but room sizes are good and look functional and the deal I'm looking at includes cancellation up to afternoon of arrival. And it's 600 metres from Penn Station. Might even be closer depending on where you exit

• Like 1

I just ended a 35+ year career that required frequent stays at both the Marriott Marquis at Times Square and the Midtown Hilton (arriving by train in any event). They're both comfortable hotels and it's easy to find a cab from either. My thoughts - your mileage may vary.

The Marriott Marquis is right in the heart of Times Square. If you like being where the action is, this is it. If you'd like to consider a Broadway show, the TKTS booth is a block away for same-day sales. (You're not likely to get one of the top shows, but I've had luck with shows that have been around a while or off-Broadway.) The hotel can be noisy; the lobby is on the 8th floor, so if you have a room below the 15th floor or so you can get lobby noise that comes up through the atrium. I haven't had an issue on higher floors.

The Hilton is in a more business-oriented area, although still within walking distance of Midtown sites. Dining on-site is limited, although I generally recommend that folks leave the hotel to find food. It's generally quieter than the Marriott, although both are huge properties - if you're looking for something more intimate, neither will meet your needs. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, skleeb said:

As a Manhattanite I can strongly suggest staying away from the Penn Station area as it is one of the worst areas in NYC as far as crime , drugs & Meth Clinique.

Best to Uber or cab to the Midtown Hilton - lots to see & do safely.

• Like 1

I'll throw my preferred overnight into the mix. We stay in the financial district. If it's a weekend the rates can be quite good. Granted, there's not as much touristic activity. But you can walk past the Cunard building. And the Museum of the American Indian is in a customs house with beautiful murals of steamships and port activities. And there's the WTC. On departure day simply walk to the Wall Street ferry dock and approach the QM2 by water... The best way.

• Like 7

If one is arriving the day before embarkation, by the time you get to a hotel, checked in and deposit luggage, there isn’t much sightseeing time left. For me, with many trips to Manhattan over decades of business travel, I would opt for the Marriott Brooklyn Bridge - if you are platinum or higher in the loyalty program, that hotel treats you VERY well in my experience. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, ExArkie said:

l would opt for the Marriott Brooklyn Bridge

I’m surprised Cunard has not made this hotel part of their package or recommendations. This Marriott is less than 15 minutes away from the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal in Red Hook. 

As mentioned in other comments, why pay the extra tolls/ car service fares and take more time on a busy embarkation morning to stay in midtown Manhattan if you’re just coming in for an overnight stay?

This hotel is located in a downtown Brooklyn and less than a mile from the famous Brooklyn Heights Promenade and the original Junior’s Cheesecake. 

• Like 1

Our first Cunard trip (2015) was a transatlantic from New York to Southampton.

We flew to New York about three days before the trip. Booked own flights to JFK, taxi to Distrikt Hotel, 342 West 40th Street. Great central location in NY, and much cheaper than booking via Cunard. A friend had previously stayed there, and we would have no hesitation in recommending it.

Hotel booked us a taxi to Red Hook at Brooklyn.