What's Gotten Better

pmallen

Just now, MsSoCalCruiser said:

Wait, what???  You can request a table at breakfast?  When did that start?  Instructions please.  Oh, happy day.  

No, breakfast and lunch in the MDR is still first come, first served.  It’s reservations for dinner that was in question.  No more beepers as far as I know but they do have you just wait in line if you don’t have a reservation.  
The cruise we were just on was filled to capacity.  We always go to the MDR that first full sea day as they have chicken Korma.  The line was so long, I don’t think they were actually able to seat everybody.  We went to Alfredo’s instead and we’re equally as happy!  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Most everything has been covered. But from 30,000 feet I would just echo the ability to do so much before you get on board. Either by the web Personalizer or the app. Excursions. Dinner reservations. Spa appointments. Those of us of a certain age remember what it was like when your first hours on board were like a scavenger hunt running around trying to secure all the things you wanted before they booked up. Not a good way to start a relaxing vacation. 

And I do appreciate the affordable drink packages. When cruise lines started to roll out All Inclusive Beverage Packages they were in the $80 per day range. For $60 you get this and so much more. $50 was better. And $40 was insane. But $60 still isn’t bad. 

• Like 10

Gosh, I took my first cruise in 1973, and I was hooked ever since, even though--I slept in a bunk bed, the room had no television or radio, there were many halls without carpeting, everyone ate at the same time in the single dining room, kids' clubs and kids' meals did not exist, computers did not exist yet, calling ship-to-shore cost a fortune and was only for emergencies, and you had to sort through hundreds of black and white photos posted on the wall to find your family. It has ALL improved!!

I would say cruising has truly come into the modern age-- if we have it on land, we more or less have it at sea!  I will also note that luxury is more or less available for everyone--not just those in the first class suites.  

My first Princess cruise was on the original Loveboat, the Pacific Princess, back in 1982.  

I am so happy to be a cruising aficionada!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I just wanted to restate how enjoyable it is to have access to an unlimited internet service. I remember not so long ago when you could only purchase it by the minute AND you had to hunt for public areas on the ship where you could get reasonable reception which was usually either after 9 pm or on port days when most folks were off the ship. Now we have access to unlimited internet service that is quite accessible most of the time even while sitting on our cabin balcony!

BTW I first accessed the ARPANET when I was in the USAF back in 1983 using a 2400 baud dial-up modem. It still amazes me how far it has advanced since then! 😃

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cruise Raider said:

No, breakfast and lunch in the MDR is still first come, first served.  It’s reservations for dinner that was in question.  No more beepers as far as I know but they do have you just wait in line if you don’t have a reservation.  
The cruise we were just on was filled to capacity.  We always go to the MDR that first full sea day as they have chicken Korma.  The line was so long, I don’t think they were actually able to seat everybody.  We went to Alfredo’s instead and we’re equally as happy!  

Thank you for setting me straight. I went back to post #10 and reread it.  That was available on their Carnival cruise… And that is how rumors get started by people like me that get so excited they don’t read the post properly.

I also would be happy at Alfredo’s/Gigi’s. Gigi’s makes me a cheese free pizza.  Most people would say no thanks but for me it’s like sunshine on a plate. 😂😂😂

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, sunviking90 said:

Dining reservations in the App. Works really well for us. While I do miss fixed dining, we have basically been able to recreate it for ourselves by making reservations every day at the same time before the cruise. We still enjoy great service at the same table this way.

Another way is to ask for the same table number for each night (if you like your servers) then you just walk in each night. Next best thing to fixed dining I can think of. 

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

Thank you for setting me straight. I went back to post #10 and reread it.  That was available on their Carnival cruise… And that is how rumors get started by people like me that get so excited they don’t read the post properly.

I also would be happy at Alfredo’s/Gigi’s. Gigi’s makes me a cheese free pizza.  Most people would say no thanks but for me it’s like sunshine on a plate. 😂😂😂

As much as I love cheese, we sometimes just make a cheese free pizza nd top it with home roasted peppers, sun dried tomatoes and artichoke hearts.  You are right, it’s like sunshine on a plate.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

As much as I love cheese, we sometimes just make a cheese free pizza nd top it with home roasted peppers, sun dried tomatoes and artichoke hearts.  You are right, it’s like sunshine on a plate.  

Do they also offer gluten-free pizza? If so, we'll definitely have to try out their gluten/dairy-free pizza.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Do they also offer gluten-free pizza? If so, we'll definitely have to try out their gluten/dairy-free pizza.

they most certainly do!  You can even order it gluten free from the app .. just not cheese free from the app.  
For that, you’d need to order it in person.  

Edited by Cruise Raider
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Which ship are you on?  I've only had one and she was really never very busy (or helpful to me).  

OP...thank you for starting this thread.  Sometimes we "forget" how great life on a cruise can be.

I am on the Discovery Princess and there are four FCCs. They even made an announcement about it last night at the Captain Circle party.

• Like 3

What’s gotten better, for me:

Room Service - A large selection of complementary items and if you have a beverage package, you can order drinks to be sent to your room.

Free Movies on Demand - Goes great with late night Room Service. 😊

New Muster procedure

Yummy iced coffee with soy or almond milk.

Alfredos/Gigi’s - Pizza our way.  Some of us can’t have the Lido Deck pizza.

Unlimited Wi-Fi (when it works) is great on a solo cruise or when showing young family members the pool or IC treats via FaceTime (I wear earbuds while giving tours).  

Royal Class ships - I love large ships.

• Like 5

You do know that you will probably trigger apoplexy in a number of members of cruise critic members that spend all of their time  complaining about how bad everything is, especially anything related to medallion.

Going back to when we first started cruising on Princess

For us

Medallion

TV options

Price relative to other travel options

Unlimited internet

Bedding

Improved Buffet on Royal class ships

International Cafe was not on ships when we started cruising

More ships = more choices on itineraries at any given time

Not that anyone of us ever wants to get off the ship at the end of a cruise but the disembarkation process is so much calmer and more civilized than the first Princess cruise we did in 2007.  I don't even remember any instructions and it seemed like everyone on the ship was standing on the stairs and in the atrium with lots of announcements over the PA.  Really all I remember is that it seemed like utter chaos.  Soon thereafter IIRC they changed it to the distributed schedule for when and where to meet for your silent disembarkation. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, capriccio said:

Not that anyone of us ever wants to get off the ship at the end of a cruise but the disembarkation process is so much calmer and more civilized than the first Princess cruise we did in 2007.  I don't even remember any instructions and it seemed like everyone on the ship was standing on the stairs and in the atrium with lots of announcements over the PA.  Really all I remember is that it seemed like utter chaos.  Soon thereafter IIRC they changed it to the distributed schedule for when and where to meet for your silent disembarkation. 

I had totally forgotten about that old process. Agree that it is much better now!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jwattle said:

Where to start?

We love so much!!

Medallion, medallion app, the staff, the service, the dining options, all of the fun game shows, the Ultimate Ship Tour (please bring it back), Chef Table, Winemakers Dinner, Super Tuscan Dinner, the shows, Concierge Lounge, the pools, being "on holiday" with my sweetheart, arriving somewhere new so often without having to drive or fly, the great Princess Dream beds, the music, the pools, the festive atmosphere, the new friends that we make, the anticipation, the Plus and Premiere packages (including Princess Prizes and the critically reviewed desserts).

When Harry Met Sally GIFs | Tenor

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, gottagocit said:

Do you need to request a table for breakfast the day before for a specific time as you would for dinner?  Or did you do it that morning and ask for the next available table? How were you notified when it was ready?

thanks 

This is On Carnival Cruises

• Like 2

I’d also like to add we used to cruise with HAL and Oceania, but no more. We are also Elite+ with Celebrity and Platinum on NCL. But for all of the reasons folks mentioned above along with Princess’ awesome 3-5 week itineraries, Princess has become our goto favorite cruise line!! 😁

• Like 5

I love now being able to wear a nice pair of black pants, a fancy blouse, some blingy jewelry and feel comfortable on formal night.

The thermal suites on the newer ships are fantastic. When we started cruising, we would have never have even entered the spa. 

Ordering room service is so easy now with a picture menu on the app and tv, so you can really see what's available.

There are so many more balconies on ships these days, although Princess was always a leader with this

Like so many others, I like Princess Plus, the medallion, the Medallion app (mostly,) unlimited internet, the embarkation and disembarkation processes, comfy beds.

• Like 6

GGEEZZZ this is all VERY refreshing to read! well done! I have enjoyed all the responses...

NOT  having to read about the lack of towel animals...OR....NO CHOCOLATE things on the bed....NO "super elite" " designation....the incessant chocolate cake degradation conspiracy theories...and of course the "useless" and ineffective  medallion diatribes.etc...

2 old school classic southern phrases come to mind ...#1 ..."champagne taste on a beer budget"...

#2 " give em a Cadillac and they complain it aint a Mercedes"

Thanks for posting !

• Like 8

7 hours ago, LibertyBella said:

calling ship-to-shore cost a fortune and was only for emergencies,

I remember going through my mom’s stuff after she passed and found a Western Union style telegram in her cruise folders. It was a message from my brother informing her that she had a new granddaughter. A very simple message printed on thin yellow paper with blue typing that looked like it could have been transmitted in 1895 instead of 1995. But that’s how we communicated back then.  And her stateroom was charged $30 for that very short but sweet message. 

• Like 7

11 hours ago, SKCruiser007 said:

love now being able to wear a nice pair of black pants, a fancy blouse, some blingy jewelry and feel comfortable on formal night.

That's definitely a change for the better. ☺️

20 hours ago, pmallen said:

We just got off a 15-day Panama Canal cruise (you can read my Live From elsewhere) and we had a wonderful trip.

This was our 5th cruise, going back to our first, exactly 30 years ago, all on Princess. I started following Cruise Critic not long after it started in the late 90s.

And people here have been complaining that cruising is going to Hell for the entire three decades! We complain about the ships, the ports, the food, the sales,  the CEO, the volume on the movies and more.

That's human nature, of course. We're more inclined to share when we're unhappy, than when we're satisfied. But if all I knew about cruising is what I read here, why would I ever go on one??!!??

So I thought I'd try something different: what's better? That's right, what about cruising has improved over time? Because there's lots. There really is.

I'll go first: coffee!  On our first couple cruises, the coffee was simply dreadful. It came from some sort of concentrate made by people who, I think, didn't really like coffee. Then they added coffee bars for an upcharge, so you had to pay extra for decent coffee. This was a regular topic here 25 years ago. Trust me! Today, the coffee is fine. Not spectacular, but decent, whether room service, dining room, or buffet. 

Now its your turn. What do you think has gotten better about Princess specifically,  or cruising in general?

- I like the medallion

- I like the less formal dress in MDR (and yes I know some consider this a negative)

• Like 2