Joy Haven... Cabin selection ... decisions, decisions!!!

oh2cruise

It has been many years since we sailed NCL...  We have been loyal to Celebrity Retreat for many years now.  But, as many note, the pricing on Celebrity is getting harder and harder to justify!

So, we are booking a Haven suite on the Joy.  We currently are booked in a category HB: Haven Aft-Facing Penthouse with Large Balcony.   We are questioning that since this suite is quite a hike from the Haven amenities... restaurant, lounge, concierge, pool deck etc...  Will we miss not being in the middle of the action? 

If anyone would be willing to share the pros/cons of their experiences, we would appreciate it.

11 minutes ago, oh2cruise said:

It has been many years since we sailed NCL...  We have been loyal to Celebrity Retreat for many years now.  But, as many note, the pricing on Celebrity is getting harder and harder to justify!

So, we are booking a Haven suite on the Joy.  We currently are booked in a category HB: Haven Aft-Facing Penthouse with Large Balcony.   We are questioning that since this suite is quite a hike from the Haven amenities... restaurant, lounge, concierge, pool deck etc...  Will we miss not being in the middle of the action? 

If anyone would be willing to share the pros/cons of their experiences, we would appreciate it.

What action do you think you'll be missing out on?

The haven is a restaurant and a bar.

After booking a cabin in the Haven proper, our next Haven is an Aft Facing Penthouse with large balcony.  We like having a large balcony.  

If you plan on experiencing many excurions, you might not miss out on much.

I personally love being in the Haven proper, but I'm a big fan of the Haven bar area.  Going right out your door to the Haven bar is great.  I can pop out, grab a cocktail, and be back in my balcony in 2 minutes.

We're a family of 4 and actually prefer the Aft-Facing Suites (away from the complex) to the 2 BR Family Villa (within the complex). 

I don't know how many you have in the stateroom but another option unique to Joy is the HI and HJ suites on deck 14. They are generally less expensive than suites within the complex but aren't as far away as the aft-facing suites. They don't have the balcony size nor the stateroom size of the aft-facing suites but they are a quick ride up the elevator or walk up the stairs to the Haven complex. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, oh2cruise said:

You won't miss anything, but you need to make the hike. About 2/3 of the Haven cabins on the Joy are not in the Haven complex proper, so there are a lot of people, like you, who select rooms outside the Haven. 

47 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

You won't miss anything, but you need to make the hike. About 2/3 of the Haven cabins on the Joy are not in the Haven complex proper, so there are a lot of people, like you, who select rooms outside the Haven. 

We have stayed in the 2 bedroom in the Haven, the forward facing and April we are in the aft haven suite. Honestly we have no issue staying outside the Haven at all. Gives us some excercise as well lol. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, oh2cruise said:

You will be fine...We've been in Haven Spa Suites which are removed from the Haven proper. .Honestly walking through the ship to get to the Haven is often a fun diversion and also can give you even a greater appreciation of how you are missing the chaos outside of the haven.  

The only downside is if you get all settled in the courtyard and/or sundeck and left something in your room.  That said, if it isn't anything too personal, you can always call your butler to grab what you need and bring it up.

Finally, those aft balconies are wonderful...short of the DOS (and there are only 2 of those on the Joy) those are the biggest balconies on the ship.

Enjoy!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, JandC_Cruising said:

Finally, those aft balconies are wonderful...short of the DOS (and there are only 2 of those on the Joy) those are the biggest balconies on the ship.

Enjoy!

We had a DOS on Breakaway in 2022 and found that while the balconies were huge, they were unuseable due to wind while the ship was in motion.  In fact, twice during our cruise the crew lashed the balcony furniture down to keep it from blowing away.  Our next Breakaway cruise is in an aft haven.

• Like 1

Thank you all for these responses, even though I'm not the OP.

We booked the Joy for July 30 in a balcony cabin, and it would be our first time on NCL not in the Haven (or suite when we sailed on Sky). We have always stayed in the Courtyard.

That being said, I keep emailing my TA and it looks like the HJ has gone down $200 from my last time pestering him LOL The Courtyard Haven cabins are coming up $2000+ more for the week, and with all my trips planned this year, I won't do it but if I can get us in the Haven category, on deck 14, I will see how that works out for us.

We love to spend our days on the Haven deck, bar before dinner and always breakfast and lunch. My dh (and me a little bit) having a little difficult time letting go of being in the Courtyard but if I can get the HJ for a price I'm comfortable with, I'm going to make the move and your responses have helped me feel more comfortable being outside the Courtyard.

Wish me luck, just finalizing exact costs with my TA and then we will see what happens.

Edited by js

8 minutes ago, js said:

Thank you all for these responses, even though I'm not the OP.

We booked the Joy for July 30 in a balcony cabin, and it would be our first time on NCL not in the Haven (or suite when we sailed on Sky). We have always stayed in the Courtyard.

That being said, I keep emailing my TA and it looks like the HJ has gone down $200 from my last time pestering him LOL The Courtyard Haven cabins are coming up $2000+ more for the week, and with all my trips planned this year, I won't do it but if I can get us in the Haven category, on deck 14, I will see how that works out for us.

We love to spend our days on the Haven deck, bar before dinner and always breakfast and lunch.

Wish me luck, just finalizing exact costs with my TA and then we will see what happens.

I know I have mentioned this in other threads, but when we stayed in a Haven Suite outside of the actual Haven (either HI or HJ I do not remember which one) on the Joy, it took us less than 30 seconds to get to the Haven proper.    More importantly for my husband, one minute to the DBH.     For us, we would rather save the money and stay in this location.  

8 minutes ago, vacation44 said:

I know I have mentioned this in other threads, but when we stayed in a Haven Suite outside of the actual Haven (either HI or HJ I do not remember which one) on the Joy, it took us less than 30 seconds to get to the Haven proper.    More importantly for my husband, one minute to the DBH.     For us, we would rather save the money and stay in this location.  

Thank you so much.
I'm going to show this to my dh. Returning to the room, for whatever reason, is something he is having a hard time of letting go and leaving the Haven LOL We are able bodied mid/upper 50s in good shape (well I am LOL).

I am booked on 7/30 cruise as well in a HH on deck 15 .  Right by elevators so up two decks and Haven entrance right there . Probably will be a 1 minute at most walk to the Haven from cabin . Not worried at all and much cheaper than actually in the Haven proper .  Sailed the Joy last year and it is a great ship . See you at the Haven bar !!!

• Like 1