Do Discounted NCL Gift Cards Exist As AARP Does With Other Cruise Lines?

Rick&Jeannie

1 hour ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

I've looked on the AARP site.  I have purchased both the Princess and Carnival gift cards and saved quite a bit.  NCL is conspicuously "missing in action"!  Are they available anywhere (discounted...)?

NCL gift cards can be problematic because of their Terms and Conditions. Therefore, even discounted, (if you find any) they  have One Year from activation "countdown" without monthly fees! 

https://www.ncl.com/giftcard/terms

If you purchase any, check to make certain they have not already been activated/have any funds available!!!

I've never seen NCL's listed on AARP. Nor can we purchase at Kroger like we are able to purchase Carnival's.

Edited by ggTexasGal

NCL stopped selling gift cards all together unfortunately.  I used to get them on Ebay or Gift Card Granny at a discount, but the value would go down if you didn't use them quickly. Lots of complaints about that, so maybe this factored into the decision to stop selling them.

• 7 months later...
On 3/5/2023 at 8:13 PM, AKR2011 said:

NCL stopped selling gift cards all together unfortunately.  I used to get them on Ebay or Gift Card Granny at a discount, but the value would go down if you didn't use them quickly. Lots of complaints about that, so maybe this factored into the decision to stop selling them.

I bought a $500 NCL Gift Card from NCL and couldn't use it during the shutdown and MetaBank has been charging me $3/monthly so the card is now down to $455.  I am considering selling it on eBay, but I don't know how to transfer ownership of the card to the purchaser.  How were you able to establish ownership of the NCL cards you bought on eBay?

MetaBank does not have live customer service and their FAQ's does not address this.

Thanks.

On 3/5/2023 at 3:37 PM, Rick&Jeannie said:

I've looked on the AARP site.  I have purchased both the Princess and Carnival gift cards and saved quite a bit.  NCL is conspicuously "missing in action"!  Are they available anywhere (discounted...)?

If  you want to save money on a cruise, find a TA that discounts.  Some TA offer 8-10% discounts.  You have to call the TA, internet searchs are a waste of time.  Make a list (exclude the big name TAs) then start calling.

On 11/2/2023 at 11:55 AM, Daniel A said:

I bought a $500 NCL Gift Card from NCL and couldn't use it during the shutdown and MetaBank has been charging me $3/monthly so the card is now down to $455.  I am considering selling it on eBay, but I don't know how to transfer ownership of the card to the purchaser.  How were you able to establish ownership of the NCL cards you bought on eBay?

MetaBank does not have live customer service and their FAQ's does not address this.

Thanks.

The sellers gave me their info and I used that to apply to my cruise. There is a spot on the website to login and change your info, at least there was when I did that. It was a couple years ago when I was last was able to get one.

2 hours ago, AKR2011 said:

The sellers gave me their info and I used that to apply to my cruise. There is a spot on the website to login and change your info, at least there was when I did that. It was a couple years ago when I was last was able to get one.

Thanks, it's more complicated now.  Both the bank (MetaBank now called Pathward) and NCL stated they no longer have a relationship and Pathward referred my concerns to NCL.  NCL reiterated that they no longer do business with MetaBank, but because of my past experience as an NCL customer, they have agreed to honor the card this time as OBC.

The NCL rep I spoke with says they will no longer offer gift cards of any type.

• Thanks 1

On 11/2/2023 at 1:23 PM, RocketMan275 said:

If  you want to save money on a cruise, find a TA that discounts.  Some TA offer 8-10% discounts.  You have to call the TA, internet searchs are a waste of time.  Make a list (exclude the big name TAs) then start calling.

Internet searches not a waste of time if you look for other than a straight cash rebate.

There are OBC's, free DSC, gift cards.

I suppose that cash would be best - if you can find those companies.

1 hour ago, cruiser2015 said:

Internet searches not a waste of time if you look for other than a straight cash rebate.

I get decent OBC from my TA.  It's refundable OBC so, the same as cash if I behave myself onboard. 🙄

12 hours ago, cruiser2015 said:

Those are small potatos compared to discounts of 8-10%.

The point is, many only do internet google searchs and then claim that no TA offers large cash discounts.

1 hour ago, RocketMan275 said:

Those are small potatos compared to discounts of 8-10%.

The point is, many only do internet google searchs and then claim that no TA offers large cash discounts.

I only learned that there were such cash discounts recently - from reading post on this board.

As for small potatoes - don't mash those spuds up so quickly:

My discounts for 3 items (gift card, OBC & DSC ($600 alone) from my TA came to about 17% of cruise fare excluding taxes & fees.

3 minutes ago, cruiser2015 said:

I only learned that there were such cash discounts recently - from reading post on this board.

As for small potatoes - don't mash those spuds up so quickly:

My discounts for 3 items (gift card, OBC & DSC ($600 alone) from my TA came to about 17% of cruise fare excluding taxes & fees.

congratulations. That's very good.  OBC is one way of getting around the cruise lines prohibition on discounting.  The point remains that it takes more than just a cursory internet search to find a good deal on a cruise.

1 hour ago, RocketMan275 said:

congratulations. That's very good.  OBC is one way of getting around the cruise lines prohibition on discounting.  The point remains that it takes more than just a cursory internet search to find a good deal on a cruise.

A very reasonable conclusion.

4 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

I get a tickle out of the internet ads promising prices reduced 60% (or more).  Of course those reductions are off the 'brochure' prices which are meaningless.

What, you got something against "list prices"?

How do you expect to secure a bargain without them jacking up the initial price?

• Like 1