First-time with NCL Air: I have questions on NYC transfers

We are sailing with NCL for the first time, on Prima out of NYC in less than a month. I booked the BOGO Air with NCL on a 2-day deviation, and I'm quite happy with the flights. My confirmation also includes transfers: BUS FROM AIRPORT TO HOTEL and BUS FROM HOTEL TO PORT and then upon return BUS FROM PORT TO AIRPORT. The cost shown on my confirmation for Transfers is 218.88 for me and my wife.

While I received my flight confirmations several weeks ago, I haven't yet heard anything from NCL on the transfers, and we're now 27 days out. my questions:

1) is CAD$218.88 a fair price for three bus rides for two people? Intuitively, it seems so to me. We will have 2 checked bags and carryons.

2) should I have heard anything from NCL on the transfers yet? Or will there be someone at the arrival gate holding up an NCL sign with a clipboard?

My "Personal Cruise Consultant" is never available and doesn't return calls, so I figured I'd check here before calling into the toll-free line and waiting on hold for hours...

In general NCL or any cruise line charges far more for hotels and transfers than you would pay if you booked them yourself.

Typically transfers are only priced somewhat reasonably if you're travelling alone. Once you have two or more in your party it's usually cheaper to take a taxi, Uber or car service, and doing so is usually more convenient because you don't have the possibility of sitting on a bus while they wait to fill it. . A more precise estimate of transfer costs would depend on the airport you're using. Transfers via taxi, Uber, or car service to/from LGA will be cheaper than JFK or EWR, and JFK should be cheaper than EWR because you're crossing state lines and you also have tolls to pay when using EWR.

We got transfers through NCL for $35 pp each way from Newark to the port and back so your transfers don't seem too bad considering the exchange rate.  Can you cancel the hotel you have with them and book your own? Those transfers seem so expensive considering there are hotels that offer free shuttle to airport.  Not knowing where you're flying into and where the hotel is makes it somewhat difficult to offer suggestions but what we did is this - flew into Newark, booked hotel near the airport that had a free shuttle.  Stayed overnight and then took shuttle back to airport to catch transfers to ship.  Regardless of which airport you fly into, you should be able to find something similar.

Sorry... I should have provided some additional detail.

The hotel we are at is the Marriott Marquis. I took it because the rate they offered me was about USD$200 cheaper than the best rate I could have got there even with my Bonvoy status. So I'm happy with the hotel because I wanted to spend the 2-day deviation staying in Times Square and am prepared to pay the premium for that. 

I'm also happy with the air arrangements. We're flying direct YYZ-JFK, arriving in NYC at 4:12.

I checked the Uber estimate, and JFK to the Marriott alone is about USD$90, so I can't imagine saving much on the transfers. I guess my worry was that I hadn't received a voucher or anything, but as long as there will be someone at baggage claim, I'll sleep well for the next 27 nights!

52 minutes ago, bruzin_for_a_cruizin said:

Sorry... I should have provided some additional detail.

The hotel we are at is the Marriott Marquis. I took it because the rate they offered me was about USD$200 cheaper than the best rate I could have got there even with my Bonvoy status. So I'm happy with the hotel because I wanted to spend the 2-day deviation staying in Times Square and am prepared to pay the premium for that. 

I'm also happy with the air arrangements. We're flying direct YYZ-JFK, arriving in NYC at 4:12.

I checked the Uber estimate, and JFK to the Marriott alone is about USD$90, so I can't imagine saving much on the transfers. I guess my worry was that I hadn't received a voucher or anything, but as long as there will be someone at baggage claim, I'll sleep well for the next 27 nights!

We had vouchers in our eDocs.

13 hours ago, fredflint said:

I don't think with the deviation you are going to have the transfer from the airport to the hotel.  You can probably check with NCL on chat to verify.

I don’t know if there will be a shuttle from the Marriott to the port, however I think they can taxi or Uber those 3 rides for less than $218.

• Like 1

A lot really depends on your comfort level but personally this is what I would do:  you can reserve a Dial 7 car service to pick you up at JFK and take you to the Marriott for about $70-80. Much more comfortable and easier than an NCL transfer. Then on the day of your cruise a taxi or uber from the hotel to port should be about $12-$15...it's not that far and some would even walk it, depending on the amount of luggage, fitness, etc. Then I would either keep the NCL transfers after the cruise (they are about $37 p/p if I remember) or again, use Dial 7 to pick you up and take you to the airport.  I like having control of my transportation, what time I debark the ship and not relying too much on traveling with the herd.

I have never waited more than 10 minutes on hold with NCL and use chat quite often but for this I would talk to a person. Enjoy your cruise!

The benefit of the NCL transfers is pure convenience. There will be agents clearly identified at baggage claim with a clipboard and expecting you. Easy to find, and they'll help you. But... you will have to wait, and wait, and wait.

For folks that don't have the street savvy to do it on their own, or just want the convenience, it's 'worth it'. But more times than not we've had to wait over an hour to leave the airport as we had to wait for other flights to arrive and join us. 

We just got off the Joy today and had airport transfers to Miami. We were in line for over an hour and finally walked off and got our own Lyft to the airport. If we continued to wait for the NCL bus we would have missed our flights. So now I have to fight with NCL to get a refund on our transfers and Lyft cost.

If you're just going to a hotel or have no rush to catch a flight - they're ok. But going forward I will never use their transfers again.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for your comments. We are currently 24 days away from departure (26 from sailing) so I am going to wait until the eDocs populate and then make a decision. I'm not fond of sitting and waiting on an empty bus, so I might just call to refund the transfers and use Uber for all three trips.

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE:
I received my eDocs, and tried to cancel the transfers. I'm not hung up on the cost, as there isn't so much a difference between the CAD$218 I paid and what I'd pay for Ubers, but the idea that my wife and I will have to sit on a bus and wait until they're ready to go is making me itch. I'm not much for sitting and waiting when I could be making better use of my time elsewhere. 

So, I connected with an agent on the NCL chat and was advised that while he would be happy to cancel the transfers for me, because I was less than 21 days out he would NOT issue a refund. Nor would he even issue OBC. So I'm keeping the transfers. 

I'm still heading into this cruise (our first experience with NCL) with an open mind, but so far I've been less than impressed with the cruiseline. I've long heard of NCL's "nickel and dime" reputation, and I'm seeing it now first-hand. I'm also less than enthusiastic about the ship, as the early reviews have not exactly been stellar. Still, any day on the ocean is better than the best day in the office, right?

the three bus rides can't be compared. two are lengthy rides to the airport, with tolls and traffic, one is a five or six minute (or less) journey from 45th street to 48th street.

the marriott marquis is an easy walk to the pier, provided your luggage is on wheels and nobody in your party has mobility issues. few people who live in new york would think twice about walking for fifteen or twenty minutes. i live about a mile from the manhattan cruise ship terminal and always walk to the ship. walking also has an advantage: you arriving apart from a cluster of people all clamoring to get luggage out of the same bus or transport vehicle, take the same elevator and stand in the same security lines at the same time.

1 hour ago, bruzin_for_a_cruizin said:

UPDATE:
I received my eDocs, and tried to cancel the transfers. I'm not hung up on the cost, as there isn't so much a difference between the CAD$218 I paid and what I'd pay for Ubers, but the idea that my wife and I will have to sit on a bus and wait until they're ready to go is making me itch. I'm not much for sitting and waiting when I could be making better use of my time elsewhere. 

So, I connected with an agent on the NCL chat and was advised that while he would be happy to cancel the transfers for me, because I was less than 21 days out he would NOT issue a refund. Nor would he even issue OBC. So I'm keeping the transfers. 

I'm still heading into this cruise (our first experience with NCL) with an open mind, but so far I've been less than impressed with the cruiseline. I've long heard of NCL's "nickel and dime" reputation, and I'm seeing it now first-hand. I'm also less than enthusiastic about the ship, as the early reviews have not exactly been stellar. Still, any day on the ocean is better than the best day in the office, right?

First, I've taken NCL transfers a few times and it's not that bad. You could still ditch the transfer from airport to hotel without much financial hardship if it's that big of a deal to you. I'd take the others though.
Second, their policies are quite clear about cancellations after final payment or "x" days prior to sailing. If you think about it, they also have to have time to work with the transport companies to secure enough transportation for everyone who signed up. They hire them, contract with them, agree to pay them based on reservations. They can't keep changing it every time someone changes their mind. 
Third, unless you are sailing with a high end line, they all nickel and dime. It's not just NCL. They all have their own way of doing it. 
Last, as for Prima, some people love it, some love to hate it. Why don't you go into it with an open mind and not let other people's opinon be your own? That's what I do, judge for myself. You may have a great time. I just saw a video from La Lido Loca on YT. Maybe you should watch it and see if you feel differently. It's Jenny's new favorite ship and she also addressed her dislikes too. There is not a perfect ship out there, but you may love what Prima has to offer after all. It does have good points.
Wishing you blue skis and smooth seas! Happy sailing! 

Another option is just check in with the NCL agents when you get there and see their estimate on when the next bus is coming. Our last trip they took our luggage before they took us (luggage went into a UHaul truck, passengers went on busses without luggage to make the process easier/faster). Might work out for you to ditch the bags with NCL and if you don't want to wait for the human bus, take the Uber you wanted to take anyway. So you can think of it as paying for a luggage transfer rather than a human one if that makes it less salty of a burn.

• Like 1

Just a word of caution: last time we flew into LaGuardia Airport we found it impossible to locate our Uber because the pickup area was big enough for at least 100 cars and I had no cellphone reception because everyone was trying to call their drivers. This was several years ago so maybe it's better now. We ended up getting a taxi which at the time required us to take a bus to the taxi stand. I ❤️ NY!

Edited by zzdoug