Almost Live from Riviera

ORV

On 3/16/2023 at 5:40 PM, chloemonkey said:

Now if they could just manage to make a proper eggs Benedict ANYWHERE on the ship!

Agree.  I haven't had it in GDR but have in Terrace and it wasn't good.

I do have to admit that the best Eggs Benedict I've had on a ship was on Royal Caribbean. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, MEFIowa said:

Didn't read about or hear about any such "1st Timers Party" on Sirena (11/18-28/2022). There was the Repeater Party for 2nd and more timers. So must be real new? Or something the captain did to appease pax on this cruise for some reason?

Had one last cruise on Riviera (3/2-3/12).

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BWV said:

Is there a repeaters gathering sometime?

Ours is tonight, sometimes they will have 2,  if you didn’t get an invitation for tonight then you are probably in the second group, if you’re a repeater, which I think you are. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ORV said:

Ours is tonight, sometimes they will have 2,  if you didn’t get an invitation for tonight then you are probably in the second group, if you’re a repeater, which I think you are. 

Thanks-our second O cruise 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MEFIowa said:

Didn't read about or hear about any such "1st Timers Party" on Sirena (11/18-28/2022). There was the Repeater Party for 2nd and more timers. So must be real new? Or something the captain did to appease pax on this cruise for some reason?

The only way to know about them(first timer or repeaters) is to get an invite or know someone that did. The only notice in Currents is a paragraph saying Horizons will be closed from 5 to 7 for a private event. 

This is the first time in 14 years I’ve heard of a first timers party. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ORV said:

The only way to know about them(first timer or repeaters) is to get an invite or know someone that did. The only notice in Currents is a paragraph saying Horizons will be closed from 5 to 7 for a private event. 

This is the first time in 14 years I’ve heard of a first timers party. 

They did not have them back in 2004  so we missed out  😃🥤

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, ORV said:

New chairs in Horizons. Pretty close to the floor and hard to get up from for old folks like me. 

52F1FF43-2FEB-4FBD-9FBC-CE5AD99504BD.jpeg

You would think after complaining about the ones in the Grand Hallway bar area   they would have learned  a lesson

2 hours ago, ORV said:

You can always sneak into the second one if you go to the first one.  LOL

4 hours ago, MEFIowa said:

There was a 1st Timers Party on Insignia segment from San Francisco to Santiago in January.  It was held in the Insignia Lounge.  If I recall, there were about 180 first timers, out of around 600 passengers.  We also received an invitation in our cabins.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LHT28 said:

You would think after complaining about the ones in the Grand Hallway bar area   they would have learned  a lesson

Unless FDR has a lot of short people in his family, the only reason for the overly short legged chairs is safety. The lower the chair seat, the lower the center of gravity. With Horizons being in the front of the ship, it will have more movement in heavy seas than the rear. Lower chairs = safer seating- but tough to get out of!

• Like 3

We were on the Riviera segment before your cruise. They had a first timers party. You wouldn't know about it unless you were a first timer, since invitations were delivered to the rooms just like the do with the frequent cruisers party. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, techteach said:

Newbie here - I want to know what’s wrong with the Hollandaise. Lack of lemon? Does it break? I wonder if they’re trying to hold it too long. Do you think they’re using a dry mix?

I thought the hollandaise was good. I did not have Eggs Benedict at Terrace Cafe, so I can't comment on that, but the GDR did them quite well.

Also, regarding first timer party questions... we were Oceania first timers on Riviera last week and received an invitation in our cabin. Unfortunately we forgot all about it and missed the party. 

14 hours ago, techteach said:

Newbie here - I want to know what’s wrong with the Hollandaise. Lack of lemon? Does it break? I wonder if they’re trying to hold it too long. Do you think they’re using a dry mix?

Did not taste lemon at all. Consistency was fine - not broken, but it was very bland. I think a dry mix might be better! 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The service we have received in every area has been outstanding. I have no complaints. 

We had a couple of slices of pizza at the new trattoria last night and really enjoyed it.  It was quick & tasty. One thing I’ve noticed is there has been no mention in the Currents about it or any push from any of the food service team. If you didn’t know about it then you might miss it. 

• Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, techteach said:

@xinnia317 I don’t want to appear to be rude, but I will have to say something about it to our server so the kitchen can fix the problem.

Have I missed something here?

It sounds as though you haven't tasted the Hollandaise but you're going to say something to your server so it can be fixed? That would go beyond being rude. 

How could you possibly know if it suits your tastes if you haven't had it? Another poster said it was fine.

5 hours ago, SSFrance69 said:

I thought the hollandaise was good. I did not have Eggs Benedict at Terrace Cafe, so I can't comment on that, but the GDR did them quite well.

4 hours ago, Qruzon said:

Last time, in the MDR, you could order lamb chops for breakfast.

I too thought the eggs benedict in the Grand Dining Room were good. I also had lamb chops with my eggs a couple times. 

• Like 2

We’re in Charleston today, pretty much the crown jewel of the ports on this cruise, even if it had made Bermuda. Bright sunny day, about 60 degrees, perfect for walking around town. 

D2B7962B-B2A3-4398-9F6B-7AEFB275D81B.jpeg

7C352D08-D766-42D7-97C3-69BA3EED57C2.jpeg

B7909329-B48A-4977-82B9-66526592712E.jpeg

B3C3F062-24A0-4DB4-8F71-F8791D091F3B.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1