What Kind of Evening Entertainment Would You Like To See on Seabourn Ships?

SLSD

14 minutes ago, Techno123 said:

Is it the drive for corporate consistency perhaps? I like the important parts of my cruise to be consistent but am happy to be surprised by something different on the entertainment front. 

I think this is what we are looking for--some surprises that delight us.  

We're not real jazz fans; sorry @SLSD! But we enjoy the trio (most incarnations we have seen) and the band with a singer (most incarnations we have seen). I'd be fine with fewer of the canned and old production shows, and allowing the current singers to do more of their own shows — the music they love and want to perform. And then I'd supplement that with short-term "residencies" for singer-songwriters who have not yet made it into the big time. This would allow a variety of genres, from folk to rock to country to Americana to pop to, yes, jazz! I'd be okay with getting rid of the dancers (even though they're quite talented) in order to have fresh music by musicians without increasing the head count or cost.

Send Belinda King (or a replacement) to a city like Nashville, throw out a net, and reel in dozens of talented singer songwriters who may not be looking for a career on a cruise ship but would be happy to do a 6-8-10 week residency. This would go against corporate homogeneity, because there would be different experiences on different cruises — but I'd argue that we already have that with guest performers (singers, violinists, comics, magicians), so why not double down on variety? They could perform mostly solo, but with a pianist or guitarist from the band, or the full band, once a week. Without an increase in costs. 

For whatever Broadway-style shows that remain, cap them with a one year shelf life and then put them out to pasture. That might mean fewer sets and costumes to keep costs neutral, but I don't think anyone would miss the singers doing 6 costume changes in 45 minutes. 😉 And with fewer such performances per week, a repertoire of 6-8 productions could assure that even passengers aboard for 4, 5, 6 weeks wouldn't have the same shows on repeat, and that passengers on their first cruise in two years won't find the same shows they saw on their last cruise. 

And most importantly, don't replace any of the live musicians with a DJ!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I'm not sure whether punk rock ever took off in the US in the 70s but those of us who used to partake in the UK are now in our early sixties and my husband would be ecstatic if a bit of the more modern (and melodic) versions could be performed (Greenday, My Chemical Romance, Blink 182 etc) although I don't know how many people would agree with him 😜😂😂.

Using the methodology proposed by cruiseej above (residencies) there could be a real range including from the 70s, 80s, 90s, some more current stuff plus classical, jazz and some of the more modern shows (Wicked, Hamilton, Mamma Mia etc). I suppose the issue with this could be the Royalties headache.

• Like 3

@SLSDWhat cruise do you have booked?

I like the idea that Explora has about entertainment, different venues, different artists, etc.

The best entertainment I experienced on Seabourn was on the Pride and it was an opera theme cruise.  It was fantastic and the singers were amazing.  I do enjoy when “local” entertainment is brought on.  Really enjoyed in Dublin when a group of high school kids were brought on.  They performed brilliantly and gave off a River Dance vibe.  Very talented.

• Like 2

So there you have it after reading through this cross section of answers.

It's a bit like the dress code.

Lots of variations on a theme and no two alike 😁

This is why cruising is so interesting.

There are different things to do all at the same time

Eating in various venues,show lounge,Observation bar,Club and staying in with room service.

All tastes catered for all in one tub.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, cruiseej said:

We're not real jazz fans; sorry @SLSD! But we enjoy the trio (most incarnations we have seen) and the band with a singer (most incarnations we have seen). I'd be fine with fewer of the canned and old production shows, and allowing the current singers to do more of their own shows — the music they love and want to perform. And then I'd supplement that with short-term "residencies" for singer-songwriters who have not yet made it into the big time. This would allow a variety of genres, from folk to rock to country to Americana to pop to, yes, jazz! I'd be okay with getting rid of the dancers (even though they're quite talented) in order to have fresh music by musicians without increasing the head count or cost.

Send Belinda King (or a replacement) to a city like Nashville, throw out a net, and reel in dozens of talented singer songwriters who may not be looking for a career on a cruise ship but would be happy to do a 6-8-10 week residency. This would go against corporate homogeneity, because there would be different experiences on different cruises — but I'd argue that we already have that with guest performers (singers, violinists, comics, magicians), so why not double down on variety? They could perform mostly solo, but with a pianist or guitarist from the band, or the full band, once a week. Without an increase in costs. 

For whatever Broadway-style shows that remain, cap them with a one year shelf life and then put them out to pasture. That might mean fewer sets and costumes to keep costs neutral, but I don't think anyone would miss the singers doing 6 costume changes in 45 minutes. 😉 And with fewer such performances per week, a repertoire of 6-8 productions could assure that even passengers aboard for 4, 5, 6 weeks wouldn't have the same shows on repeat, and that passengers on their first cruise in two years won't find the same shows they saw on their last cruise. 

And most importantly, don't replace any of the live musicians with a DJ!

I agree with everything you have said.  Not everyone has to like jazz--I get that.  Casting out a net for exceptional performers could be a winner.  

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 1

SLSD:  Thanks for starting this interesting thread.  I agree with your taste and would love to see some quality jazz on Seabourn.

When we started cruising, we were appalled at the big shows offered on Cunard, Seabourn, HAL, etc.  Lots of talented young people given boring old fashioned pieces to perform.  Then we got used to it, lowered our standards, and stopped complaining.  Now we just avoid most big shows.

The best example of what we like is the jazz ensemble that plays most nights in the Chart Room on the Queen Mary.  Sophisticated, straight-ahead, pop jazz.  On Seabourn we most enjoy the shows by the Cruise Director or Assistant, or by a solo singer with a basic band accompanying.

For Seabourn we tell our friends at home about the Belinda King shows and our tales usually provoke gales of laughter at how corny and weird her shows are.  Once we saw a show entitled "Irish Soul."  What?

But I must admit I have given up.  I don't think our tastes match most cruisers who go to the shows on most cruise lines.  I just shrug my shoulders and don't hope that it will ever get better.  Pity because I think that most of the young performers have talent that they would love to show us.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, tv24 said:

SLSD:  Thanks for starting this interesting thread.  I agree with your taste and would love to see some quality jazz on Seabourn.

When we started cruising, we were appalled at the big shows offered on Cunard, Seabourn, HAL, etc.  Lots of talented young people given boring old fashioned pieces to perform.  Then we got used to it, lowered our standards, and stopped complaining.  Now we just avoid most big shows.

The best example of what we like is the jazz ensemble that plays most nights in the Chart Room on the Queen Mary.  Sophisticated, straight-ahead, pop jazz.  On Seabourn we most enjoy the shows by the Cruise Director or Assistant, or by a solo singer with a basic band accompanying.

For Seabourn we tell our friends at home about the Belinda King shows and our tales usually provoke gales of laughter at how corny and weird her shows are.  Once we saw a show entitled "Irish Soul."  What?

But I must admit I have given up.  I don't think our tastes match most cruisers who go to the shows on most cruise lines.  I just shrug my shoulders and don't hope that it will ever get better.  Pity because I think that most of the young performers have talent that they would love to show us.

It just goes to show how we all have different tastes, I can think of nothing worse than a jazz night!

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

28 minutes ago, fudge said:

It just goes to show how we all have different tastes, I can think of nothing worse than a jazz night!

Well, all I can say is that there is jazz and then there is jazz. 

https://jazzfuel.com/best-jazz-musicians/

https://www.sfjazz.org/onthecorner/15-jazz-piano-albums/

But, I totally understand.  Dated Broadway show tunes are not my cup of tea.  

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, SLSD said:

June 11-25 Copenhagen to Copenhagen--up the coast of Norway.  I hope I have the dates right without looking at my calendar.  

Please post about your experience as doing same cruise following month 😁

9 hours ago, fudge said:

I agree.  If it were up to me, I'd have the musicians in the lounges play the Grateful Dead at all times, but I'm realistic enough to know that would never happen, and I certainly don't expect it to happen. 

In any event, the type of music on board would never factor into my decision whether to take a specific cruise or not. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

36 minutes ago, skybluewaters said:

I agree.  If it were up to me, I'd have the musicians in the lounges play the Grateful Dead at all times, but I'm realistic enough to know that would never happen, and I certainly don't expect it to happen. 

In any event, the type of music on board would never factor into my decision whether to take a specific cruise or not. 

I'm beginning to wonder what kind of jazz some of you have heard to dislike it so much.  

2 hours ago, SLSD said:

I'm beginning to wonder what kind of jazz some of you have heard to dislike it so much.  

I've played drums since I was 8 years old, so I appreciate all styles of music, including jazz. My wife, however, is not a musician and HATES jazz. She can't feel the beat, can't dance to it, can't recognize the melody, and god forbid, some trumpet or sax fails to hit a high note (happens alot!).  

I agree about a replacement for the Tim Rice bit, but it sounds like many of the critics here haven't bothered to go to many of the current offerings by the performers on the main stage. So much more than "tired Broadway show tunes" and I really enjoy their performances. 

52 minutes ago, twodjs said:

I've played drums since I was 8 years old, so I appreciate all styles of music, including jazz. My wife, however, is not a musician and HATES jazz. She can't feel the beat, can't dance to it, can't recognize the melody, and god forbid, some trumpet or sax fails to hit a high note (happens alot!).  

I agree about a replacement for the Tim Rice bit, but it sounds like many of the critics here haven't bothered to go to many of the current offerings by the performers on the main stage. So much more than "tired Broadway show tunes" and I really enjoy their performances. 

Have you tried filling up your wife with Sauvignon Blanc to see if that works.

There's plenty of it on the ship and it's all included.

7 hours ago, SLSD said:

What kind of jazzes are there?  If you are lucky enough to sail with Katy when she is performing in OB, request and she'll jazz it up for you.

Music is like food, we all have our tastes. I don't get on a ship for the entertainment - you can take a theme-based cruise if you want Jazz, 80's rock, hip-hop, whatever.  We typically do not eat until 8:30 or so and don't care about the "show" afterwards. Instead go to the Obs or Club or if on an O-class ship maybe the TK bar for an after dinner drink.. Would prefer to meet up w/ a couple and have a conversation vs. listening to a loud or boring "entertainment".  

Will go to Rock the Boat just because.  (Miss David E. doing his couple 3 songs on those, and miss David for so many more reasons)  And when Heather / David / (Handre when he was on ship) were w/ Seabourn did their pre-dinner events always went to them.   

20 hours ago, SLSD said:

Well, all I can say is that there is jazz and then there is jazz. 

https://jazzfuel.com/best-jazz-musicians/

https://www.sfjazz.org/onthecorner/15-jazz-piano-albums/

But, I totally understand.  Dated Broadway show tunes are not my cup of tea.  

Thought I must be missing something......nope

I think I mentioned this previously, but Handre said SB was getting a full-time DJ to replace the trio on all the ships.  It is supposed to be implemented this summer but with the new CEO who knows.  The impression I got was that the genre of music was to be modernized skewing more towards the 80s,90s,00s.  

As for Belinda King, I think we are stuck with her for a while.

7 hours ago, imcpa said:

Same thing I listed to on my iPod when in the gym (yes, iPod...I don't bring my phone to the gym)...heavy metal.   

I assume I am alone one on this.

I do like to program the "jukebox" system in the Club to play nothing but AC/DC to see how the Luxury Cruisers react.  A little rebellion.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, 2SailingNomads said:

Music is like food, we all have our tastes. I don't get on a ship for the entertainment - you can take a theme-based cruise if you want Jazz, 80's rock, hip-hop, whatever.  We typically do not eat until 8:30 or so and don't care about the "show" afterwards. Instead go to the Obs or Club or if on an O-class ship maybe the TK bar for an after dinner drink.. Would prefer to meet up w/ a couple and have a conversation vs. listening to a loud or boring "entertainment".  

Will go to Rock the Boat just because.  (Miss David E. doing his couple 3 songs on those, and miss David for so many more reasons)  And when Heather / David / (Handre when he was on ship) were w/ Seabourn did their pre-dinner events always went to them.   

Yeah, David E and Heather.  Really loved their shows.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, tv24 said:

I do like to program the "jukebox" system in the Club to play nothing but AC/DC to see how the Luxury Cruisers react.  A little rebellion.

Oh yea.  I was on the Encore in early November last year (round trip Athens) with only 350 or so on board.  I played a couple of songs every now and then on the "jukebox" when I was alone in the Club.  It has a great selection of metal.  

13 hours ago, 2SailingNomads said:

Ah dear David E Green

• Like 1