Taxis in Bermuda?

NJRonbo

First trip to Bermuda on Summit this upcoming June

Doing a Jet Ski tour with BDA Watersports

It's located near Somerset Bridge, approx. 7.5km (4.5 miles) from the dockyard

Looks like about a $20 ride

Anything we should be aware of when dealing with taxis in Bermuda to avoid getting ripped off?

1 hour ago, NJRonbo said:

First trip to Bermuda on Summit this upcoming June

Doing a Jet Ski tour with BDA Watersports

It's located near Somerset Bridge, approx. 7.5km (4.5 miles) from the dockyard

Looks like about a $20 ride

Anything we should be aware of when dealing with taxis in Bermuda to avoid getting ripped off?

Bermuda is not New Jersey. You won’t get ripped off. You will be charged what is on the meter which would be about $20. A few things you should know. Many taxis don’t take credit cards. They might refuse to take you if your clothes are wet. It might be difficult to get a taxi back from BDA Water Sports. Ask them to call for a taxi. I would take a taxi but public buses are an option. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just thought of something as if forecast is correct may end up taking a taxi to the caves. If they don't take credit cards will we need local currency? We have use US $ for small purchases in the past so didn't think of getting any from AAA and we sail Friday.

Thanks

On 3/13/2023 at 10:25 AM, NJRonbo said:

This is excellent advice.  Thank you.

I am going to contact the company and see if they have dressing rooms so we can change and what the taxi situation is from their facility.

We have used the Hitch app which is their uber if you have difficulty getting back.  We recently did from that area despite being promised by company to have a cab ready.  Luckily we downloaded the hitch app prior to our vacation.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, latebloomer56 said:

Just thought of something as if forecast is correct may end up taking a taxi to the caves. If they don't take credit cards will we need local currency? We have use US $ for small purchases in the past so didn't think of getting any from AAA and we sail Friday.

Thanks

As has been posted USD is accepted everywhere in Bermuda and is on par with Bermuda’s currency but you would not be able to exchange for their currency anyway at AAA.  They won’t have it. Bermuda currency is not exchangeable outside Bermuda. 

• Like 1

Your opinion...

If we grab a taxi at the dockyard to go Somerset Bridge...

Are we better off asking the driver to come back and pick us up at a specific time (or perhaps he can set that pickup with his company if not personally available)

Or, are we better using the HITCH app for the ride back?

27 minutes ago, jean87510 said:

We have used the Hitch app which is their uber if you have difficulty getting back.  We recently did from that area despite being promised by company to have a cab ready.  Luckily we downloaded the hitch app prior to our vacation.

Hitch is a good app to have as a backup but it is not their Uber. It is a taxi dispatch app. A taxi is sent. The taxi rate is charged plus about a 15% fee is added on. 

4 minutes ago, NJRonbo said:

Your opinion...

If we grab a taxi at the dockyard to go Somerset Bridge...

Are we better off asking the driver to come back and pick us up at a specific time (or perhaps he can set that pickup with his company if not personally available)

Or, are we better using the HITCH app for the ride back?

You can ask the driver to come back but probably they won’t show up.  BDA Watersports will call a taxi for you as I posted above. You can use the Hitch app if you don’t mind paying the extra fee. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

You can ask the driver to come back but probably they won’t show up.  BDA Watersports will call a taxi for you as I posted above. You can use the Hitch app if you don’t mind paying the extra fee. 

Yes, you did post that above and it slipped my mind.  My apologies.  That's good advice and I will have BDA handle that call rather than pay extra for HITCH.

4 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

Hitch is a good app to have as a backup but it is not their Uber. It is a taxi dispatch app. A taxi is sent. The taxi rate is charged plus about a 15% fee is added on. 

I waited with my family for an hour calling taxi services without success.  In a pinch, Hitch worked in minutes.  Since we had 1 hour to onboard, it was worth the fee.  So although not Lyft or Uber, it does work if you are in a bind and a good alternative.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, jean87510 said:

I waited with my family for an hour calling taxi services without success.  In a pinch, Hitch worked in minutes.  Since we had 1 hour to onboard, it was worth the fee.  So although not Lyft or Uber, it does work if you are in a bind and a good alternative.

You were lucky the taxi came in an hour with Hitch. I have read a lot of stories where the taxi never showed up with Hitch too. You are getting a taxi with Hitch not a gig worker. The usual these days if you have to phone for a taxi or use Hitch is 30 or 40 minutes. There is a shortage of taxi drivers. People don't want to drive taxis because the costs have gone up but the fares have stayed the same for years. The government promises them there will be an increase but nothing happens. So the drivers hang out for fares at Dockyard, Horseshoe, Hamilton, the Airport and St. George where it is easy to pick up fares. 

Edited by Charles4515

20 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

You were lucky the taxi came in an hour with Hitch. I have read a lot of stories where the taxi never showed up with Hitch too. You are getting a taxi with Hitch not a gig worker. The usual these days if you have to phone for a taxi or use Hitch is 30 or 40 minutes. There is a shortage of taxi drivers. People don't want to drive taxis because the costs have gone up but the fares have stayed the same for years. The government promises them there will be an increase but nothing happens. So the drivers hang out for fares at Dockyard, Horseshoe, Hamilton, the Airport and St. George where it is easy to pick up fares. 

It was actually about 10 minutes.  We needed luck that day!  Scrambling to make our onboard.  😄

1 hour ago, jean87510 said:

It was actually about 10 minutes.  We needed luck that day!  Scrambling to make our onboard.  😄

On the last day in Bermuda I usually go to Horseshoe because there are multiple means of transportation possibilities back. No worries. That could mean starting at Warwick Long Bay and walking to Horseshoe.  With taxis or minibuses available at Horseshoe I don’t worry but I don’t cut it close. I would not go anywhere on the island where there are no taxi stands. So nope to Clearwater or John Smiths Bay, Tom Moores Jungle on the day I have to be onboard. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 1

On 4/19/2023 at 4:43 PM, Charles4515 said:

So the drivers hang out for fares at Dockyard, Horseshoe, Hamilton, the Airport and St. George where it is easy to pick up fares. 

Are there many taxis waiting in st. George?  We were thinking an option would be to ferry over to st. George, wander around, the taxi it back to kings wharf. Or better the other way around?

31 minutes ago, philpcruiser said:

Are there many taxis waiting in st. George?  We were thinking an option would be to ferry over to st. George, wander around, the taxi it back to kings wharf. Or better the other way around?

Not as many taxis wait in St. George's as at the other sites mentioned. 

FYI a taxi from St. George's to the Dockyard will cost about $80 plus tip.

1 hour ago, philpcruiser said:

If I were wandering around St. George and then going back to Kings Wharf (Dockyard) it would be best to take a ferry to St. George’s and take a ferry to the Dockyard.  A taxi back to Kings Wharf would be expensive. The Royal Navel Dockyard is the actual location of where ships are docking on the West End of Bermuda. King’s Wharf is the name of one of the two berths at the Dockyard. Cruise lines designating the port as King’s Wharf is an anachronism. There are some taxis that hang out at the Town Square. They are best used for shorter trips like to the Swizzle Inn, Caves, Coopers island Reserve, Tobacco Bay or Fort St. Catherine. 

Edited by Charles4515