2/26-3/10 Getaway Review

bedfordmom

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Thank you for sharing your review with everyone at Cruise Critic. Please consider submitting it to the site for publication as well: Click: Write a Review on any page!"

bedfordmom was awarded the badge 'Great Review'

Hi all:  We recently returned from the Getaway. A little about us.  We are from the Greater Boston area. . I am 62 still working and DH is 65 and retired on year. We are both Platinum, almost Saphire with other cruises on Royal Caribbean and Carnival.  

We drove from home on the day of the cruise. We left at 6am, with two pit stops and gas up, we arrived at the Pier garage a little after 9:30am.  While almost to the port  I saw that the itinerary was changed from St. Lucia to St Martin with St. Kitts one day later.  I tried to make independent excursions but we were almost at the port at that point. We breezed through security at my designated 930-10am time and was seated in  Platinum.  The girl who checked me in tried to give me a boarding number but I knew better and went immediately to the platinum seating area. We were on the ship by 11am.  While seated I tried to book the America Cup race something I tried to do years ago but the port was cancelled due to Hurricane Maria.  That was full and I suspected Norwegian had taken those slots so I waited to book it on the ship,

When we got on, I went to LeBistro and booked my second specialty at Cagneys and they confirmed my first booking at Cagneys (more about that later). I also visited the Cruise Next desk to get my tour the next day and Latitudes gathering. Shore excursions were really busy so I decided to go later.  Our first meal was at Shanghi. It was not busy but suspect that later it would be. I definately over ordered but we really enjoyed it.  Afterwards we went to the comedian show which was not particularly funny.

The next day, the first sea day was quite busy. I wake up at do my 1/2 hour on the bike and 1/2 hour on the elipticle. Then I do the stretch class which was one of the best I've ever did. I met my DH at O'Sheehans for a truly hot breakfast.  We then went for our 9am behind the scenes tour; when that ended we had our cruise critic party.  I then spent time in line to register for the St. Martin America Cup.  Unfortunately that eventually got cancelled due to lack of participation as only three registered. We ended up signing up for the Phillipsburg bike tour.  LESSON LEARNED:  I had to return to the Shore Desk and stand in line for my platinum  10% credit so ask for it up front. We ate in the buffet which was crowded.  Relaxed in the afternoon.  Supper was at Taste and I had Bourbon Chicken.  While at supper we talked with a very nice couple who said that their Cagneys (for the same day as ours was cancelled) As a result they were cancelling their additional specialties.  Well I said that we still had ours, and that I had checked it and had documentation. Famous last words as when I checked my app, it said that we now had a reservation at 6:15 on day 4. Wait What, we will be in San Juan.  After getting no where with the reservations staff, we went to Cagneys the next day where after standing firm with the lady at the desk, they finally agreed that they screwed up; would not give me my documented reservation but did say we could come after 7:30 on San Juan Day.  What was irritating was that they never called me for the cancellation: The dinner; however at Cagneys was excellent. 

Here are my excursions: 

San Juan:  Lucky nonship bus tour $25.  Basically these guys stand outside of the port and ask if anyone needs a store, fills a bus and out they go.  After going to San Juan 10X, I have never done a tour. We thoroughly enjoyed the two hours and was brought back to the port (we also had the option to go shopping but we wanted to make our 7:30am reservations.  You pay when you finish the tour.  Highly recommend

Saint Martin:  Bike Tour.  Nice new bikes stationed at the port.  We biked about 6-7 miles around the dutch side stopping often for narration. We were given one water bottle. At the end, we ended up at the beach for a quick dip and rum punch.  Then we rode back to the port  Highly recommend

St Kitts:  We always go to Palm Court Gardens, 15 minute walk from the port following the water.  Most people take a taxi there.  Admission is 20$ gives you access to a beautiful infinity pool, whirlpool, gardens, changing room, loungers and umbrellas.  There is a nice restaurant onsite where we always get their pressed coffee. Also a beautiful shell gift shop all hand made by locals.  We had to leave by 12:30 as our ship sailed at 130pm.  (highly recommend) 

Barbados:  Calabassa 12 person catamaran. This was our second time there.  They pick you up at the port.  Feed you breakfast of coffee, fruit, quiche and banana bread. Then two standard snorkle stops:  turtles and the wreck.  Then we park for lunch and swim.  fritters, lasagna, fish chicken three salads and much more plus desert. Also the drinks were flowing, I had the rum punch.  HIghly Highly recommend at 150 pp.

Antigua  We took a shared taxi to Dickinson Beach for 5$pp.  I guess you get what you pay for as I was not impressed with the beach. We did not rent chairs (10) or umbrellas (more) as we agreed upon a short amount of time. As a result the chair guys chased us away from the beach.  Next time we will try another one  (DO NOT recommend)

St. Thomas:  We used our "free Paradise Point voucher and then bought another one for $25 on site.  I had the Bushwacker which was excellent. Following an hour there, we walked to the synagogue for a free tour. I've always wanted to go there but have always been there on a Sat/Sun which they are closed.  (Recommend) 

Shows:  Million Dollar Quarter (excellent); Rumours (highly excellent ). Unplugged (pretty good). and Burn the Floor (ok, not for me).  I enjoyed Mike the comedian way more in the Headliners.  The last night was Abba by Zenhitt.  Although it is an amazing pool band, I didn't think the theater was the venue for this group, another example of cutbacks. For Rumours, we happened to walk by 45 mins before showtime, saw only one table with two seats and waited. We had no idea of the treat that was in store for us. I don't understand why they don't use a bigger venue like the Theater for this amazing show.

Speaking of cutbacks, the most disappointing was the once a day cleaning.  Now I am not a fussy person but do expect my bed to be made, new towels and floor   vacuumed.  In the beginning we noticed that our room was done by noon but never vacuumed. By the end of the week it was 4-5pm. When I asked the steward, he said that we fell to the end of the time because everyone wanted early.  So imagine coming back from the beach around2pm, no clean towels and wanting to take a shower and your room is not done. So we leave and eat lunch still craving that shower come back at three and still not done. We go  out again and come back and he is now making up the bunk bed for the next people, no vacuuming no cleaning off smudges NOTHING.  So we had to wait for him to prepare the cabin for the next people in three days.  Obviously he got no additional tip and if I could have would have cancelled  on my prepaid tips.  .

Another cutback is on the food.  I never saw salmon in the dining room  as we must have missed it during our two specialities. The portions (except for desert) were painfully small, lukewarm to cold.  For example, I ordered the tilapia, (portion the size of my iphone); yellow carrots which was the size of three fingernails and fingering potations (one tiny potato the size of my thumb).  The appetizer was muscles and saffron rice.  I got four shells no muscles but at least the saffron rice was good.  I know people say to order a couple of appetizers but when they are painfully small, its not alot. Also don't always remember that the main dish will be so small.    I also had the carrot/ginger soup that was not edible. Most other meals were OK but overall not great. We loved the salads at O'sheehand and would go there just for the salad. The buffet was OK, the same food would be there lunch and dinner, and I mean the same food.  I did like teatime snacks but it always didn't coincide if we planned for an early dinner.

As a result of these cutbacks, we decided to not do the TA which I was going to book when I returned and to look into other lines. That is not to say that I won't return but will do so with my eyes wide open. I still think that Norwegian still has the best itineraries and prices.  

• Like 2

And how could I forget the cancellation of Dominican Republic and the addition of a sea day. Lesson learned: don’t wait until the last port  to buy gifts ( especially booze) Ship

prices were high compared to my MA packie so bought rum at home for a gift. 

10 hours ago, bedfordmom said:

And how could I forget the cancellation of Dominican Republic and the addition of a sea day. Lesson learned: don’t wait until the last port  to buy gifts ( especially booze) Ship

prices were high compared to my MA packie so bought rum at home for a gift. 

We live on the NH border and that's what we have been doing lately, especially if we're flying!

Thanks for the review! We are on the Getaway on the 26th sailing and will see the shows you recommend

I live in NC but spent 40 years in NH.  I graduated from the University of New Hampshire in 19-*mumble*mumble

We have this ship booked for May, and  I can't say I am happy to hear about the food.  The best way to get the food back up to acceptable is to continue to voice our feelings to NCL.  We switched from another line to NCL because that line was stingy while raising prices.  Ucgh.  

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Momto3girlsintheCarolinas said:

I live in NC but spent 40 years in NH.  I graduated from the University of New Hampshire in 19-*mumble*mumble

We have this ship booked for May, and  I can't say I am happy to hear about the food.  The best way to get the food back up to acceptable is to continue to voice our feelings to NCL.  We switched from another line to NCL because that line was stingy while raising prices.  Ucgh.  

My experience was a little different. I felt I had too much food served. Most of it was very good but some was not. The lamb in LaCucina smelled very weird and I only ate two bites.

Thank you, short - concise, succinct, focused on the critique.  I knew & recognized your CC screen ID on that TA roll call and was wondering if you're going to be joining onboard ... now, think I know & understood.  

Our newest strategy ahead is to book for price, itinerary and ship in this order ... just had weekend brunch in town with another (NCL) Latitudes Sapphire couple, chatting about competition MSC - giving NCL a run here in the Northeast (plus Princess - not a fan of RC's monster size ships).  There are some good last minute NCL deals around, as long as one is prepared for unexpected surprises - some of the cuts - my gut feelings - likely to find their way upstairs and into the corner suites, sooner or later, i.e. black tiger prawns (gone from Cagney's & elsewhere ... )  

BTW, do you recall seeing pool towels stocked in your stateroom during your sailing ... b/c we don't remember seeing them lately.  Those were missing in January and GA was still on a twice a day housekeeping schedule then ... already used to not having robes & slippers, coffee-maker stashed & on request only, etc.  I know we can get them on the pool deck & also sign them out when going ashore.  Subtle things, do matter to the overall cruise experience.  

Too bad that your sailing skipped Amber Cove/Taino Bay at DR, we found the best duty-free prices there, lower than St. Thomas/USVI (except for its more generous CBP customs allowance) and ship's prices for duty-free continue to rise.  

Edited by mking8288

1 hour ago, Momto3girlsintheCarolinas said:

My solution to the small portions in the included restaurants was to double up on the entrees after the first day.  I'm not one to waste food so I needed one dinner to gauge the portion sizes first.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

BTW, do you recall seeing pool towels stocked in your stateroom during your sailing ... b/c we don't remember seeing them lately.  Those were missing in January and GA was still on a twice a day housekeeping schedule then ... already used to not having robes & slippers, coffee-maker stashed & on request only, etc.  I know we can get them on the pool deck & also sign them out when going ashore.  Subtle things, do matter to the overall cruise experience.  

I swore I saw a pool towel in my room during my first sailing on the Escape back in May of 2019 but I certainly haven't seen them on this sailing or my recent one on the Prima.  No matter, I'm used to sitting on subway seats so a wicker lounger that is scoured by salt air nightly doesn't bother me much with no towel.

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

Thank you, short - concise, succinct, focused on the critique.  I knew & recognized your CC screen ID on that TA roll call and was wondering if you're going to be joining onboard ... now, think I know & understood.  

Our newest strategy ahead is to book for price, itinerary and ship in this order ... just had weekend brunch in town with another (NCL) Latitudes Sapphire couple, chatting about competition MSC - giving NCL a run here in the Northeast (plus Princess - not a fan of RC's monster size ships).  There are some good last minute NCL deals around, as long as one is prepared for unexpected surprises - some of the cuts - my gut feelings - likely to find their way upstairs and into the corner suites, sooner or later, i.e. black tiger prawns (gone from Cagney's & elsewhere ... )  

Too bad that your sailing skipped Amber Cove/Taino Bay at DR, we found the best duty-free prices there, lower than St. Thomas/USVI (except for its more generous CBP customs allowance) and ship's prices for duty-free continue to rise.  

Sadly we are not going to be on that TA.  We were ambivalent and wanted to take the 2/26 cruise instead. While gone both the balcony prices and airfares rose considerably. In addition, I still work and it would be unfair to my colleagues if I was to take another 2.5 weeks though I  had the time. Plus I felt a little cruised out.  I hope to do the TA either West in the fall or more realistically East next spring (though the prices are really high now).  

I did not see pool towels in the stateroom. It was easy to pick them up at the pool. If the towel stand was not open you could still take towels.  What I did not understand was that in the beginning they gave out towels and then started to account for them. On my informal books, I was over 4 towels lol

In terms of the tiny main meal, it was inconsistent so I never thought to order more than two appetizers (only once) and never did more than one entre.  We brought our usual tradition of bugels and fritos (only on a cruise mind you) plus they had the buffet. Mind you we never were hungry. I do wish that they had more water filling stations.  We had to go up to the 15th floor to refill our water bottles for the morning pills.  Wouldn't it be a treat to have a water bottle filling station on each floor.

I will also check out MSC. I like to go for the itinerary/price and then the cruise company. Though I love the loyalty perks that NCL gives (I think best in of all), I really like RCL and would consider any other company for the right combination.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bedfordmom said:

I will also check out MSC. I like to go for the itinerary/price and then the cruise company. Though I love the loyalty perks that NCL gives (I think best in of all), I really like RCL and would consider any other company for the right combination.  

We are platinum on NCL and will reach the next level after our 3/26 cruise, but prefer MSC. And they will match your other cruise line (hotel, airline, etc) status so your perks are there on your first cruise!

• Like 3

22 hours ago, bedfordmom said:

Another cutback is on the food.  I never saw salmon in the dining room  as we must have missed it during our two specialities. The portions (except for desert) were painfully small, lukewarm to cold.  For example, I ordered the tilapia, (portion the size of my iphone); yellow carrots which was the size of three fingernails and fingering potations (one tiny potato the size of my thumb).

My cruise on the Gem left a day after yours. I am mainly a seafood eater but don't like tilapia. Anyway, I love salmon and like you, never saw it on this cruise in the main dining rooms for dinner. I prefer grilled salmon but would settle for broiled if that is offered. Previous cruises always had salmon on some nights.

One other thing, I like smoked salmon for breakfast. It is no longer available in the buffet. So I was forced or coerced into eating breakfast in the Grand Pacific. Less availability cuts food cost, obviously!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IrieBajan54 said:

My cruise on the Gem left a day after yours. I am mainly a seafood eater but don't like tilapia. Anyway, I love salmon and like you, never saw it on this cruise in the main dining rooms for dinner. I prefer grilled salmon but would settle for broiled if that is offered. Previous cruises always had salmon on some nights.

One other thing, I like smoked salmon for breakfast. It is no longer available in the buffet. So I was forced or coerced into eating breakfast in the Grand Pacific. Less availability cuts food cost, obviously!

If I remember right, smoked salmon has been off the breakfast buffet for years (since at least  2015)  except for the main dining room.  One of the perks of the family  suite on the Dawn is that I was able to eat suite breakfast and have my smoked salmon.  I was able to coerce my DH into the dining room for breakfast for this cruise  when he figured out that they had much better OJ than the buffet (though that changed near the end of the cruise  .  I actually would order only order two smoked salmon (each half bagel) for my breakfast.

Now on my recent Royal Caribbean cruise they not only had unlimited smoked salmon on the buffet, they had premade smoked salmon bagels and even mini avocado toast!! Thats enough to make me sail them again.  

• Like 1

Hi there!

We are going on the Getaway soon and I have a quick question. 

Do they provide pool towels and beach towels when you go on their island? 

Are they in the room or do you ask for them?

Thank you in advance. 

Genie

1 minute ago, Genie0427 said:

Hi there!

We are going on the Getaway soon and I have a quick question. 

Do they provide pool towels and beach towels when you go on their island? 

Are they in the room or do you ask for them?

Thank you in advance. 

Genie

You pick up towels pool side - when going off the ship- sometimes they have them near the exit other times you pick them up at the pool side. You normally have to give them your room number when you take them & return. (If you're in the Haven-I think they may have them in your room) 

4 hours ago, bedfordmom said:

We have done 4 NCL & I have done 1 MSC.

NCL shows/comedians MUCH better. 

Musicians/activities comparable. 

Service 1st Getaway was OK, 2nd was GREAT, Encore was not great. Didn't "connect" with one crew member--that has NEVER happened in 25+ cruises.

MSC the service overall was not great but had a couple fantastic bartenders/servers plus activities staff was pretty fun.

MSC has darn great prices.

***Was the Syd Norman's band playing other nights besides the Rumors show? They were my FAVORITE on our Getaway cruises.

45 minutes ago, OrangeCatRamblers said:

Does the Getaway not have the never-changing menu of the Prima yet? Salmon is always available for dinner on this menu, and I think at lunch to top a salad. 

I don't know if the Prima has smoked salmon at the buffet or not. I hope they do! 

I was on the Getaway in February. The menus in the main dining rooms changed every day.

I just returned from the Prima. I did not see smoked salmon at the buffet but it was on the menu at Hudson's the main dining room.

1 hour ago, KKB said:

We have done 4 NCL & I have done 1 MSC.

NCL shows/comedians MUCH better. 

Musicians/activities comparable. 

Service 1st Getaway was OK, 2nd was GREAT, Encore was not great. Didn't "connect" with one crew member--that has NEVER happened in 25+ cruises.

MSC the service overall was not great but had a couple fantastic bartenders/servers plus activities staff was pretty fun.

MSC has darn great prices.

***Was the Syd Norman's band playing other nights besides the Rumors show? They were my FAVORITE on our Getaway cruises.

Syd Normans had two other different shows which we did not get a chance to see

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bedfordmom said:

If I remember right, smoked salmon has been off the breakfast buffet for years (since at least  2015)  except for the main dining room.  One of the perks of the family  suite on the Dawn is that I was able to eat suite breakfast and have my smoked salmon.  I was able to coerce my DH into the dining room for breakfast for this cruise  when he figured out that they had much better OJ than the buffet (though that changed near the end of the cruise  .  I actually would order only order two smoked salmon (each half bagel) for my breakfast.

On the first 3 of my 4 cruises in 2022, there was abundant smoked salmon in the buffet every morning. Gem, Joy and Prima. Then on my December Bliss cruise it was gone. I wrote a letter to the hotel manager (don't recall the exact title) and dropped it at Guest Relations. The restaurant manager contacted me stating that NCL was cutting it fleetwide in the buffet. Prior to the pandemic, I used to eat breakfast in the dining room to be served instead of serving myself. But in 2022, I just liked eating breakfast quickly after exercising. I have to wonder if they have to throw out all that salmon mousse at the end of the day? Yuk!

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, IrieBajan54 said:

On the first 3 of my 4 cruises in 2022, there was abundant smoked salmon in the buffet every morning. Gem, Joy and Prima. Then on my December Bliss cruise it was gone. I wrote a letter to the hotel manager (don't recall the exact title) and dropped it at Guest Relations. The restaurant manager contacted me stating that NCL was cutting it fleetwide in the buffet. Prior to the pandemic, I used to eat breakfast in the dining room to be served instead of serving myself. But in 2022, I just liked eating breakfast quickly after exercising. I have to wonder if they have to throw out all that salmon mousse at the end of the day? Yuk!

It's probably very little salmon and a lot of filler! Cream cheese? 

21 hours ago, bedfordmom said:

I still work and it would be unfair to my colleagues if I was to take another 2.5 weeks though I  had the time.

Loving your review! But this statement makes me shudder...just a "quiet quitting," understanding it's just a job kind of guy here. 

I appreciate your loyalty though. Yep, if I had the time, I'd be taking that extra 2.5 weeks in half a heartbeat. 

55 Funny Travel + Vacation Memes: Most Popular Travel Memes of 2021

Source: https://www.thediscoveriesof.com/travel-memes/

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

Loving your review! But this statement makes me shudder...just a "quiet quitting," understanding it's just a job kind of guy here. 

I appreciate your loyalty though. Yep, if I had the time, I'd be taking that extra 2.5 weeks in half a heartbeat. 

55 Funny Travel + Vacation Memes: Most Popular Travel Memes of 2021

Source: https://www.thediscoveriesof.com/travel-memes/

I know I am too loyal but I am in patient  care in a VA hospital and hate to take too much time away from my Vets.  Plus we are down by two clinicians and my leave put a big stress on my coverage. By my next trip, we should be fully staff or maybe I will be retired lol

• Like 5

15 hours ago, bedfordmom said:

Syd Normans had two other different shows which we did not get a chance to see

You didn't miss much. We saw the Fleetwood Mac aka "Rumors" band on our January 6th cruise. It was OK, frankly I've seen a lot of other cover bands that were much better

30 minutes ago, bedfordmom said:

I know I am too loyal but I am in patient  care in a VA hospital and hate to take too much time away from my Vets.  Plus we are down by two clinicians and my leave put a big stress on my coverage. By my next trip, we should be fully staff or maybe I will be retired lol

Makes sense! I work in a corporate environment...my non profit days are sadly behind me (for now). That's when I had passion for my work. Now I just push out one PIP after another. 🙂

Hope you start that retirement!! 

• Like 1