Observations on our First Princess Cruise

Plato123

1 hour ago, JimmyVWine said:

Fair.  But in my area, I can get a full meal at Outback that includes a 12 oz ribeye and grilled shrimp combo plus a dessert for $39 (excluding tax and tip).  So the price is close to even-up especially if I tip extra at the CG.  But since I already have money sunk in the MDR meal that I am not going to eat, I want "better than Outback."  Again, at $29 I could accept the comparison.  At $39 I turn away until things improve.

I agree. I don't plan on doing CG on my next trip.

3 hours ago, Coral said:

I think Outback is a better comparison.

I think that is a pretty good compare because 20 years ago - for a marker - the Outback steaks were pretty darn good.  I don't recall the last time we went to an Outback, but it was hard to recognize the steak as a filet mignon cut from tenderloin and we have never been back, nor will we be.  I did start to read/hear more about them being average.  I recall when they were fairly new, the lineups were huge to get in.

7 hours ago, Kineticoh20 said:

You simply can Not! Order a ribeye in CG anymore. My last 3 have been mediocre to horrendous. Agreed a better steak can be found most nights in the buffet. 

The only steak we saw at the buffet was a minute steak. 

We have mainly cruised Princess (but also a dozen other lines) for 25 years.  Unfortunately Crown Grill is trending in the wrong direction.  We only went back our last cruise for a second night because our travel agency had gifted it to us.

16 hours ago, FrankieJayIII said:

Is anything worth ordering at CG? 

DW says the Sea Bass is the best.

I'm zero for three for beef quality on CG and have not booked again since I can BBQ a better steak at home... sad but true.

Currently on the Royal and DW wants to try the Sea Bass again at the CG so we have a reservation in a few days.  Based on the reviews I will skip the Rib eye but might try the filet or could end up ordering the Sea Bass.   Either way I will report back..

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/16/2023 at 5:39 PM, jwattle said:

I do have to throw in here: the CG on the Majestic is still great.🥰

I think it will vary from ship to ship and what provider is supply the beef.  The filet is always a safe bet and I love the French Onion soup.

• Like 1

On 3/16/2023 at 5:12 PM, symui said:

Currently on the Royal and DW wants to try the Sea Bass again at the CG so we have a reservation in a few days.  Based on the reviews I will skip the Rib eye but might try the filet or could end up ordering the Sea Bass.   Either way I will report back..

Get the black and blue french onion soup.

Unless that has been downsized...

• Like 1