Mobility issues in Nassau and Cape Canaveral

I will be on the Oasis in July and have been to Nassau before but cannot recall if RCCL has any one to assist when get off the ship to take you to the place where you can get taxis. Does anyone know?    

I have never been on a ship that docked in Cape Canaveral.   We intend to take the bus to Disney.   Will this be an issue for me getting to it?

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you.

Do you have a wheel chair or a scooter? Royal MAY help you off the ship (contact their Special Needs Dept for more info). , but that would be the extent of it. Keep in mind that in Nassau it's at least a quarter mile and maybe a mile to get out of the the port area. A outside provider runs a golf cart but I can't comment about the frequency. And there are usually 3 or 4 ships at any day. In PC, it's at least a quarter mile walk thru the terminal to get to the tour loading area.

2 hours ago, elizabethbp said:

I will be on the Oasis in July and have been to Nassau before but cannot recall if RCCL has any one to assist when get off the ship to take you to the place where you can get taxis. Does anyone know?    

I have never been on a ship that docked in Cape Canaveral.   We intend to take the bus to Disney.   Will this be an issue for me getting to it?

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you.

If significant mobility issues would check curb free with Cory Lee, is a cruiser who does different cruise lines in awheel chair also may be good to ask on wheel the world FB group

Nassau does have golf carts transport people from a designated area to an area near their exit to the street.  

There is still a lot of walking involved. 

Will you have a wheelchair, walker or cane?   How far can you can you walk on your own?

The sidewalks are narrow and very uneven if you plan on exploring.

If you want a taxi there is usually a bunch of them in this area.

Nassau cruise port has had a lot of construction the last couple of years.  When is your cruise?

Thank you for the replies.   I am not in a wheelchair but use a cane and sometimes a walker.  I recall from yrs prior the walk from the ship in Nassau to getting taxis, I was curious if there was any way to get assist  from the ship to the taxis.  That is my major concern.  

The terminal building in Nassau was gone in October and you had to walk beyond where it was to get to the street.  The pier shuttles didn't run much and seemed to go to ships other than ours.  And Royal seems to like docking at the farthest out pier when we are on it.  Gangway was steep on Allure but folks in wheelchairs were being helped down.  Crew will help there if you need it.

14 hours ago, elizabethbp said:

Thank you for the replies.   I am not in a wheelchair but use a cane and sometimes a walker.  I recall from yrs prior the walk from the ship in Nassau to getting taxis, I was curious if there was any way to get assist  from the ship to the taxis.  That is my major concern.  

For any port, anyplace in the world (except private islands which are not really ports) the cruiseline (any cruiseline) is not responsible for you once you exit the ship.  They will help you on and off the ship, but that's where it stops.  Yes, Nassau and other ports will sometimes have carts to help, but those are done by the country and port you are in.  Even if carts are available, the timing, of them would not be reliable.  The driver only job is to pick people up, drop them off, and go get someone else.  That's all they get paid for, and it is random.  

Reason I'm telling you this, is because no one can answer your question, outside the fact that maybe you will get lucky and see a driver.

When traveling, you need to have zero expectation for help, and then when help is available, be thankful. 

On 3/14/2023 at 5:35 PM, elizabethbp said:

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you.

Cape Canaveral is easy with a scooter or a walker/cane.  The terminals have elevators that will hold two scooters (large size).  There are ramps in all curb areas.  There port area is very mobility friendly.

You should, however, keep in mind that if you plan to take a taxi, Uber, or Lift from the port area, you will want to make arrangements ahead of time (depending on your walker size).  If you cruise is now or through till October, please remember that this is our low tourist season and there are not as many services being offered.

Additionally, Port Canaveral has several dock areas.  RCCL has it's own terminal that is convenient to some shopping and restaurant and bars ( a slight walk is needed).  There is, however, times when Royal docks at the Carnival terminal.  That terminal is not near anything within walking distance.  Day stops on cruises out of NY/Bayonne often use this terminal as they have a port day on the same day that a Royal ship is docked at their port on a turn-around day.

Hope this helps!