Celebrity App Account Requirements for Chatting in the App with Spouse

CulpableCruiser

I downloaded the Celebrity app for my spouse and signed her in with my account. Does she need to create her own account on Celebrity so we can use the app for chatting via ship wifi while at sea? Any other reason she shouldn't just use the same login as me? Googled the heck out of this and can't find the answer...thank you!

I would think she would want her own account as the app is also where you upload your own picture for check in/Sea pass, etc.  I mean you don't have to, but it' seems easier.  Plus if you think of it like texting on your phone, it's probably easier to see the back and forth discussion with each other separate.  Unless there s specific reason she doesn't want her own account, I would just set up the app with her own name.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CulpableCruiser said:

I downloaded the Celebrity app for my spouse and signed her in with my account. Does she need to create her own account on Celebrity so we can use the app for chatting via ship wifi while at sea? Any other reason she shouldn't just use the same login as me? Googled the heck out of this and can't find the answer...thank you!

She should sign into her Celebrity account on the app so you can text each other via the app – which only works aboard using the ship's WiFi. The Celebrity app (as I last experienced it) only allows messages between registered passengers, and even then, only those approved by each user.

Also, that function in the app is fairly lame, unfortunately. You can't receive an audio alert, or even a visual alert on your device, if someone messages you through the app. Instead, you must open the app on your device and then navigate to the "chat bubble" in the upper left.

Hope this helps,

cjr

• Like 3

4 hours ago, CulpableCruiser said:

Is she on the cruise with you?  And if so, yes, she needs her own account.  If you both have wifi.

Another option is to leave phones in airplane mode and turn wifi calling on to text each other.  But again, both have to be connected.

Edited by jean87510
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jean87510 said:

Another option is to leave phones in airplane mode and turn wifi calling on to text each other.  But again, both have to be connected.

This option requires a paid internet package.  

You are correct you need wifi calling on to do SMS texting but other methods like WhatsApp, iMessage, GoogleVoice don't require wifi calling, just wifi and paid internet connection.

I think most people inquiring about the substandard messaging in the Celebrity app don't want to pay for internet package so will just use the free wifi which only allows use of the app onboard.

Edited by wrk2cruise
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

You are correct you need wifi calling on to do SMS texting but other methods like WhatsApp, iMessage, GoogleVoice don't require wifi calling, just wifi and paid internet connection.

I think most people inquiring about the substandard messaging in the Celebrity app don't want to pay for internet package so will just use the free wifi which only allows use of the app onboard.

Yes, no paid internet package. Just looking to use the app to keep touch if she happens to go somewhere and we need to chat. Disappointing to see no notifications, but will make do for the few times we are not together and be alert that we'll need to check for new messages. 

Thank you all!

• Like 1

On our recent Edge cruise, I had a paid single-device wifi plan on the ship, my husband did not. He connected to the free wifi, and we were able to easily use the Celebrity app to share updates on where we were on board, etc. It came in very handy for that purpose.

I didn't receive message notifications on my iPhone, but he did on his Android phone, so the user experience may vary based on your phone type or settings.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wrk2cruise said:

agreed.  I have difficulty with WhatsApp unless I have wifi calling on.  I have a Galaxy 22 not an IPhone if that makes a difference.

15 minutes ago, OrcaGirl said:

I didn't receive message notifications on my iPhone, but he did on his Android phone, so the user experience may vary based on your phone type or settings.

That's our exact experience regarding iPhone vs Android regarding celebrity app message notifications 

20 hours ago, ehall said:

I would think she would want her own account as the app is also where you upload your own picture for check in/Sea pass, etc.  I mean you don't have to, but it' seems easier.  Plus if you think of it like texting on your phone, it's probably easier to see the back and forth discussion with each other separate.  Unless there s specific reason she doesn't want her own account, I would just set up the app with her own name.

As far as check in and SeaPass, it let us check in multiple people in one account so she did not need an account for that purpose. She used my phone for the pic but could have just logged into my account on her phone for this purpose. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, kwokpot said:

That's our exact experience regarding iPhone vs Android regarding celebrity app message notifications 

Interesting, because the exact same limitation exists in the Princess’s free messaging using their intranet.  

OK, just so I got this right: Both people in cabin who booked AI, will have access to ship wi-fi on their own device using new wi-fi account set up on ship using sea pass card number, username and pwd? Both people can use App on their own phone and will use the Celebrity main account log in info? 

3 hours ago, MrBill923 said:

OK, just so I got this right: Both people in cabin who booked AI, will have access to ship wi-fi on their own device using new wi-fi account set up on ship using sea pass card number, username and pwd? Both people can use App on their own phone and will use the Celebrity main account log in info? 

You have it all correct.