Westerdam - Organizational Nightmare - Is This Just An Isolated Case or Do I Need To Pause Cruising?

Longwood50

I wonder if signs would even help!  We still recall the time a lady cut in front of me in the omelet line (Prinsendam) and then turned to me with an angelic smile and said, "Its OK, I am old."  My immediate response was, "the line for the old people is at the end of the queue."  There was some applause from a few others behind me in the line and the lady did move to the end of the line.  Of course, being a long Prinsendam voyage just about everyone was old :).

Hank

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

I wonder if signs would even help!  We still recall the time a lady cut in front of me in the omelet line (Prinsendam) and then turned to me with an angelic smile and said, "Its OK, I am old."  My immediate response was, "the line for the old people is at the end of the queue."  There was some applause from a few others behind me in the line and the lady did move to the end of the line.  Of course, being a long Prinsendam voyage just about everyone was old :).

Hank

Love it!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

You probably did immigration in St Thomas because it was your first American port after being in other countries. I've had to do immigration in San Juan for that reason.

I am not sure as St Thomas was last minute reschedule. 

On 3/18/2023 at 11:34 AM, Catlover54 said:

Were the Lido masks required by HAL or by Singapore?

Masks were required by HAL because we were informed by the Captain that if our COVID numbers went up we would not be allowed in JAPAN. That got everyone wearing masks!

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, Queen of DaNile said:

Masks were required by HAL because we were informed by the Captain that if our COVID numbers went up we would not be allowed in JAPAN. That got everyone wearing masks!

So was everyone routinely tested, to determine the true Covid numbers?

I was on a Panama Canal cruise last year (with another line) and that's what they did then (typically shortly before a port stop)

13 hours ago, Queen of DaNile said:

I'll bet it did! Have you been given any information about cases on  board?

17 hours ago, Catlover54 said:

I was on a Panama Canal cruise last year (with another line) and that's what they did then (typically shortly before a port stop)

All passengers staying on for the segement that went to Japan self tested on the first day of our overnight in Singapore. Cabin attendants waited outside the door to report the results. I heard, but cannot say for certain, that guests who tested positive were not allowed to continue on the Singapore/Japan segment.

17 hours ago, Catlover54 said:

There are a lot of people self reporting.  

10 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Have you been given any information about cases on  board?

On the Westerdam this week, the captain announced 9 passengers in quarantine, and zero crew members. Pretty good, IMO! 

20 minutes ago, alanstarr said:

On the Westerdam this week, the captain announced 9 passengers in quarantine, and zero crew members. Pretty good, IMO! 

With a passenger capacity of 1964 and 812 crew, that is .003%.  Guess we don't have to worry about 10% to have to avoid stopping in Japan.  10% would be 277.  I would call it outstanding!

Ray

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, USN59-79 said:

With a passenger capacity of 1964 and 812 crew, that is .003%.  Guess we don't have to worry about 10% to have to avoid stopping in Japan.  10% would be 277.  I would call it outstanding!

Ray

it's actually .003, which is .3%. Still VERY good. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, USN59-79 said:

Thanks for setting me straight.  Hard to believe that I have a degree in math.

Ray

I taught physical science and had students who couldn't divide by 10 without a calculator. I have no idea how many times I explained the conversion from decimal to percent!

• Like 1