Cakes added to Premium Dessert offerings on Crown Princess

Shelly97060

I'm sorry....that's not "chocolate cake".  It's the same moussie stuff they have served but only bigger.  Where is my ordinary, plain, super great chocolate cake they used to have in Room Service.

More reasons not to upgrade.

• Like 2

So the cakes they used to have in the buffet for deserts pre-covid are now premium for a fee

Edited by ldtr

4 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Where is my ordinary, plain, super great chocolate cake they used to have in Room Service.

They have the chocolate cake on the room service menu on Crown. I haven’t tried it yet but am hopeful that it’s still one of the best slices of cake on the ship! 

• Like 2

On the Emerald Princess in November one afternoon they had a huge offering of fancy cakes in the buffet (at no charge of course).  They were like those and some much nicer. I can’t believe they want me to pay for a piece of cake on a cruise?! 

Edited by sunviking90
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, sunviking90 said:

On the Emerald Princess in November one afternoon they had a huge offering of fancy cakes in the buffet (at no charge of course).  They were like those and some much nicer. I can’t believe they want me to pay for a piece of cake on a cruise?! 

I remember seeing them one evening at the buffet (probably the same day you saw them). They looked amazing. I didn't try them though. I think I walked through the area and made some comment that those cakes looked amazing. I never saw them again then which surprised me. Go figure.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, travelin.sisters said:

they had cakes like those & many more (all of which were lovely, but none of which tasted worth taking more than one bite) last week for their "dessert extravaganza" on the Crown in Cafe Caribe

Similar on the Enchanted but having tried a small piece of many of them, they all tasted almost identical.

Lots of Princess whipped cream disguised as frosting. 😄 LOL

Pretty to look at but not worth eating. 

When the day comes that Princess actually makes an delicious cake (included)  I think we'll all be amazed.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, travelin.sisters said:

they had cakes like those & many more (all of which were lovely, but none of which tasted worth taking more than one bite) last week for their "dessert extravaganza" on the Crown in Cafe Caribe

Was Cafe Caribe used for anything else during your sailing?

3 hours ago, Coral said:

I remember seeing them one evening at the buffet (probably the same day you saw them). They looked amazing. I didn't try them though. I think I walked through the area and made some comment that those cakes looked amazing. I never saw them again then which surprised me. Go figure.

We didn’t try them either. They had just been put out and we didn’t go back. It’s true most “cakes” are never very good. Cupcakes are always a disappointment. HAL is the same. I never bother anymore.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MissP22 said:

Similar on the Enchanted but having tried a small piece of many of them, they all tasted almost identical.

Lots of Princess whipped cream disguised as frosting. 😄 LOL

Pretty to look at but not worth eating. 

When the day comes that Princess actually makes an delicious cake (included)  I think we'll all be amazed.

All of the cakes including the Loveboat Dream that we tasted during our 30 days on Enchanted in February were very dry and tasteless.  It was like they were made with very cheap box cake mix. Also, my favorite pistachio dome looked like it was covered with grass clippings instead of chocolate.

Edited by FritzG

Just now, FritzG said:

All of the cakes we tasted during our 30 days on Enchanted in February were very dry and tasteless.  They tasted like they were made with very cheap box cake mix. 

The one thing that the dessert chef's know to do is make presentations that look good although they do know how to make them better, they simply don't. Perhaps cost?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MissP22 said:

The one thing that the dessert chef's know to do is make presentations that look good although they do know how to make them better, they simply don't. Perhaps cost?

They have a budget. They work with ingredients which fit into the budget. That's why all food has done a 180 in the last year.  

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Shelly97060 said:

Today in International Cafe they have three cakes offered at $4.50 per slice or free with Plus/ Premier Package. Red Velvet Cake, Chocolate Cake and Black Forest Cake.

EB4DFC14-5BB0-4388-BCBE-A61FB8A774C1.thumb.jpeg.ab0cc2092fe138c2c7a06f47113f4d5a.jpegDB7502E3-3E61-4A78-8DB1-09D525DFDA1C.thumb.jpeg.77ec76d8c974158596eb7ff4d3734f8d.jpegE143C292-6668-4FD4-8AC9-ED00E88AD358.thumb.jpeg.062e29a5c04817c88988e124dd653974.jpeg

Wait. They are SELLING cake at the International Cafe! The IC where all food items are (or maybe now used to be) included?

• Like 2

Just off the Emerald last Friday.  All these cakes were offered in the Horizon Court during lunch at no charge, and they had a lot of them, very popular.  Had the whipped creme layers which I prefer, frosting can be way too sweet.  Never saw them in the IC.  Had a wonderful cruise on the Emerald.

• Like 6

I'm interested because I have Princess Plus and the website says these 'premium desserts' can  found in the Gelateria, Swirls, or Coffee and Cones. That's great but I'll be on the Sapphire Princess and it doesn't have any of those venues. (I will miss gelato!)

1 hour ago, zukecruiser said:

Just off the Emerald last Friday.  All these cakes were offered in the Horizon Court during lunch at no charge, and they had a lot of them, very popular.  Had the whipped creme layers which I prefer, frosting can be way too sweet.  Never saw them in the IC.  Had a wonderful cruise on the Emerald.

My pictures above are from the Emerald. 

1 hour ago, misha227 said:

I'm interested because I have Princess Plus and the website says these 'premium desserts' can  found in the Gelateria, Swirls, or Coffee and Cones. That's great but I'll be on the Sapphire Princess and it doesn't have any of those venues. (I will miss gelato!)

The Sapphire seems to have Sundaes on Lido, so probably there?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, startedwithamouse said:

They have a budget. They work with ingredients which fit into the budget. That's why all food has done a 180 in the last year.  

But they were only so-so even years ago.

• Like 1