Sky TA March 2023: The WI-FI is very good!

annlee

I was prepared for no wifi but gotta say, it's been excellent. Everybody, but everybody,  is on their phone or iPad. About 2200 onboard. We're 6 days in, 2 days from Funchal, so closer to Europe than USA.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

You are traveling a much more southerly route than we did from Barcelona to Florida in 2019 - our last cruise before the shutdown. Maybe that's why you have good Internet. We had pretty much no connectivity. Very happy it works for you on this cruise.

I did a TA on Emerald in November from Southampton to France, Spain and Portugal and then to FLL.

Our internet was awful until we got to Azores I believe. Then across the TA, it was pretty good (for a ship) This was expected when we mentioned how poor the internet was. They were right, once we hit a certain point - it drastically improved.

I hope your internet stays good while in Europe.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, annlee said:

I was prepared for no wifi but gotta say, it's been excellent. Everybody, but everybody,  is on their phone or iPad. About 2200 onboard. We're 6 days in, 2 days from Funchal, so closer to Europe than USA.

We had outstanding WiFi on Sky Princess during our sailing in February. So much so I did two TikTok Livestreams from the ship, had 5 video calls for work, 7 audio calls over WiFi for work. The only real issue was sometimes the browser would just be very slow to open pages, but as someone who works remotely, the Sky Princess was an amazing 'remote office.' Best WiFi of any ship so far we've sailed outside Scarlet Lady. 

On 3/24/2023 at 7:36 AM, CruisingWalter said:

We had outstanding WiFi on Sky Princess during our sailing in February. So much so I did two TikTok Livestreams from the ship, had 5 video calls for work, 7 audio calls over WiFi for work. The only real issue was sometimes the browser would just be very slow to open pages, but as someone who works remotely, the Sky Princess was an amazing 'remote office.' Best WiFi of any ship so far we've sailed outside Scarlet Lady. 

Were you able to stream from an Ipad to the TV with Netflix, etc?  Any info from anyone whether Princess blocked using the HDMI port on the Sky?

Edited by shirazcruiser

I was on the Sky Princess for its last Caribbean week before it did the TA. Wifi for my husband was excellent. He could get his SiriusXM all day long and always was able to order on the Princess app. For me it was spotty. I sometimes got Sirius, had some trouble with the app when ordering (didn’t always show all the options he could see), could get on Gmail but could not download books or magazines from my library (lesson learned). Texting was perfectly fine. Not sure it makes a difference but he uses an Android and I use an iPhone. 

27 minutes ago, GK95 said:

I was on the Sky Princess for its last Caribbean week before it did the TA. Wifi for my husband was excellent. He could get his SiriusXM all day long and always was able to order on the Princess app. For me it was spotty. I sometimes got Sirius, had some trouble with the app when ordering (didn’t always show all the options he could see), could get on Gmail but could not download books or magazines from my library (lesson learned). Texting was perfectly fine. Not sure it makes a difference but he uses an Android and I use an iPhone. 

Processor speed and free memory makes a big difference. 

This was my wifi on the Ruby on Saturday off the Yucatan (out of Cozumel).   I tried to watch a youtube video update that I generally watch on Saturdays, and it was painful!  The is no way that I could have participated in a zoom or other meeting requiring interaction!

I posted my experience in another thread

image.thumb.png.cef0f8a23872ecacf688b122d67b638c.png

13 hours ago, shirazcruiser said:

Were you able to stream from an Ipad to the TV with Netflix, etc?  Any info from anyone whether Princess blocked using the HDMI port on the Sky?

Don't own an iPad. Have no desire to stream to the in-room TV. Most cruise lines seem to be blocking guest access to the TV inputs.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Alcairns said:

On Sky now - sadly had little to no internet for the last three days. Now back again but Princess have given one day refund.

This is what we experienced on the Emerald TA. It was fine for the TA but not in Europe. They switched satellites at one point. The Captain did tell us it would get better at a certain date when we switched satellites and he was correct.

Edited by Coral

2 hours ago, PacnGoNow said:

Happy for those on the Sky…but the Enchanted TA was nonexistent internet.

Then Portugal, Spain, France, Gibraltar, and Corsica it was only an intermittent internet.  Worst I have ever experienced on a ship.

I agree.  It really was inexcusable and in fact, Princess offered no excuse for the complete lack of connectivity.  They would say things like "well, it's intermittent" or "we're waiting to hear from shoreside to find out what's going on" etc.  We had one good day when we left FLL, but mid-day the next day it was gone and never returned.  They offered a paltry $60 obc but only if you took the initiative and requested it.  The last day, dh went back to the desk and they gave us another $40, so they reimbursed 10 days of the 14 (based on $10/day plat/elite discount before the price increase.)  They should have just reimbursed the whole thing without question since it was such a debacle and we had less than 24 hours of use.  

Not only was it the worst internet I have ever experienced on a ship, but also the worst response from Princess I've experienced.  

Edited by pompeii
  • Thanks 1