Cunard finally dropping Vax

moses0

Sorry if this is old news.

For voyages departing on or after the 23 April 2023 on Queen Mary 2 and Queen Victoria and voyages departing on or after 8 June 2023 on Queen Elizabeth, Covid-19 vaccination and testing will no longer be mandatory for guest’s travelling with Cunard.

• Like 2

Just now, moses0 said:

Sorry if this is old news.

For voyages departing on or after the 23 April 2023 on Queen Mary 2 and Queen Victoria and voyages departing on or after 8 June 2023 on Queen Elizabeth, Covid-19 vaccination and testing will no longer be mandatory for guest’s travelling with Cunard.

I think it has been known for a little while, but I was checking specially, as we have a cruise in May. I can’t understand why they are dropping the vax requirements, unless it has become too complicated to know how many boosters to ask for.

Here's the full text.

Update to our vaccination and testing policy.
Covid-19 vaccination and testing will no longer be required for the majority of our voyages.

Prior to these dates there are still some voyages with Covid-19 vaccination and testing requirements. For more information on our vaccine and testing policy and to see which voyages have vaccination and testing requirements, please visit our vaccine and testing policy page.

While Covid-19 vaccination will no longer be required for Cunard voyages, we still highly recommend that all guests travelling on our ships are up to date with Covid-19 vaccinations and boosters where eligible and available.

If guests are displaying any symptoms of Covid-19 or feel unwell in the days leading up to their voyage, we highly recommend that they take a Covid-19 test before they travel and only travel to the ship if this is negative. If guests are symptomatic on the day of embarkation, we ask that they declare this to terminal or check-in staff. Guests who test positive within 7 days of sailing will not be allowed to embark.

Country specific Covid-19 testing and vaccination entry requirements.

Please note, if guests are travelling to join the ship in another country or disembark in another country, they need to be aware that the entry requirements to travel by land or air may differ from the requirements to embark the ship. Guests will be responsible for ensuring that they meet the entry requirements of embarkation and disembarkation ports.

For example, all guests aged 18 years and over travelling to the U.S. by air are required to show proof of being fully vaccinated against Covid-19. These U.S. entry requirements are separate from our cruise protocols.

Please advise your customer to check the government website of the country they are travelling to, both for embarkation and disembarkation, to ensure they are aware of the most up-to-date country requirements, as we can’t accept responsibility if guests are denied entry to a country because they fail to meet its entry requirements.

If guests are displaying any symptoms of Covid-19 or feel unwell in the days leading up to their voyage, we highly recommend that they take a Covid-19 test before they travel and only travel to the ship if this is negative. If guests are symptomatic on the day of embarkation, we ask that they declare this to terminal or check-in staff. Guests who test positive within 7 days of sailing will not be allowed to embark.

Issued 20 March 2023.

• Like 1

Thank you for your help by listing the information on the Cunard site.

We will be on an enhanced voyage (longer cruise) in October and the enhanced voyage chart, on Cunard, does not have our cruise listed yet, telling us whether testing will be required.  Hopefully within the next few months they will update that list.

I believe it was 8 February 2023 when Cunard first posted a version of their "Vaccination and testing" page implying their vaccination requirements now only applied to their list of "Voyages with enhanced requirements".

The last voyages on that list were the same as now, ending with the 3 April 2023 QV departure, the 7 April 2023 QM2 departure and the 24 May 2023 QE departure. Those are essentially the final segments of the QM2 and QV world voyages and QE's Japan itineraries where Japan's rules still apply.

Back then in February they stated "Please note, we have only confirmed voyages with enhanced vaccination and testing requirements departing up to and including 31 July."

Now with the 21 March 2023 update, I think they have helped clarify the terminology a bit by simply calling their list "Voyages with vaccination and testing requirements" rather than voyages with "enhanced" requirements.

I also note they no longer provide a date for how far into the future they have confirmed the list of voyages with vaccination and testing requirements. Now they simply state "Our vaccination and testing policy is reviewed on a regular basis and may be changed at any time." and "Please note currently all Australia and New Zealand voyages still require vaccine and testing and we anticipate all Australia and New Zealand voyages beyond the dates above (including our 2023, 2024 and 2025 departures) will still require vaccination and testing."

My take on all this is that the current list of "Voyages with vaccination and testing requirements" as of 21 March 2023 is the last such list they intend to publish except for voyages to countries with their own vaccination and testing requirements for cruises in the future. Of course we will all need to keep a close eye on the stated requirements for any updates. At this point though I am not expecting Cunard to reinstate vaccination and testing requirements for voyages to Europe and the Americas unless those regions reinstate their own requirements. Let's see if that's how it actually plays out.

Edited by bluemarble
  • Like 3

On 3/24/2023 at 3:46 PM, alibabacruisers said:

I thought I had heard that too previously.  But does anyone know if there has there been any news about the Enhanced Voyages still needing testing?

As I read it NO voyage after April 23 on QM2 and QV and after June 8th on QE requires testing or vax. The only exception is if a particular port requires it. But Not Cunard. Am I missing something. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bluemarble said:

I believe it was 8 February 2023 when Cunard first posted a version of their "Vaccination and testing" page implying their vaccination requirements now only applied to their list of "Voyages with enhanced requirements".

The last voyages on that list were the same as now, ending with the 3 April 2023 QV departure, the 7 April 2023 QM2 departure and the 24 May 2023 QE departure. Those are essentially the final segments of the QM2 and QV world voyages and QE's Japan itineraries where Japan's rules still apply.

Back then in February they stated "Please note, we have only confirmed voyages with enhanced vaccination and testing requirements departing up to and including 31 July."

Now with the 21 March 2023 update, I think they have helped clarify the terminology a bit by simply calling their list "Voyages with vaccination and testing requirements" rather than voyages with "enhanced" requirements.

I also note they no longer provide a date for how far into the future they have confirmed the list of voyages with vaccination and testing requirements. Now they simply state "Our vaccination and testing policy is reviewed on a regular basis and may be changed at any time." and "Please note currently all Australia and New Zealand voyages still require vaccine and testing and we anticipate all Australia and New Zealand voyages beyond the dates above (including our 2023, 2024 and 2025 departures) will still require vaccination and testing."

My take on all this is that the current list of "Voyages with vaccination and testing requirements" as of 21 March 2023 is the last such list they intend to publish except for voyages to countries with their own vaccination and testing requirements for cruises in the future. Of course we will all need to keep a close eye on the stated requirements for any updates. At this point though I am not expecting Cunard to reinstate vaccination and testing requirements for voyages to Europe and the Americas unless those regions reinstate their own requirements. Let's see if that's how it actually plays out.

According to another travel site that offers travel advice for covid vax and testing, As of March 22, 2023 Australia has no requirements for either vax or testing if coming from the US. 

6 hours ago, Lakesregion said:

According to another travel site that offers travel advice for covid vax and testing, As of March 22, 2023 Australia has no requirements for either vax or testing if coming from the US. 

Not true as far as cruise ships are  concerned - every cruise line here  have very similar requirements: 

ie.

# (includes all Australia and New Zealand voyages) All guests regardless of age are required to take a self-administered Lateral Flow Test within 24 hours OR a PCR test within 48 hours of embarkation.

Plusif you are going to Japan you'll need a booster as well as a test. This is not about the cruise line - its about the countries. 

• Like 1

On 3/24/2023 at 4:56 PM, exlondoner said:

I think it has been known for a little while, but I was checking specially, as we have a cruise in May. I can’t understand why they are dropping the vax requirements, unless it has become too complicated to know how many boosters to ask for.

Ironically vaccination is needed to enter the USA so how can Cunard drop the vaccination requirements for April 23rd sailing

On 3/27/2023 at 9:35 AM, ace2542 said:

Ironically vaccination is needed to enter the USA so how can Cunard drop the vaccination requirements for April 23rd sailing

True, but there are three, potentially overlapping, elements to consider in what is now a pretty quick-moving picture, likely to be clarified pretty imminently. Firstly, the US block on un-vaxxed travellers was extended in January – to most people's surprise, certainly the US travel industry, who'd expected it to then be lifted – but only until April 10th, theoretically another review. The take-away point, though, was that it was the shortest extension yet, possibly indicating that restrictions will be lifted immediately after Easter. It just sounded like a final belt on some last braces and the US keeping a really cautious weather-eye on the Chinese new year and the period thereafter, just in case another major wave reared up. It hasn't mercifully. Secondly, the House voted on Feb 8th (HR 185) to immediately scrap the whole ban on un-vaxxed travel anyway, not even wait until spring. The bill, though, hasn't yet reached the Senate. In any case, the White House, meantime, has declared that all Covid emergency measures – literally everything affecting the US internally and externally – will cease on May 11 regardless. So, essentially Covid-over-and-out, certainly in terms of pandemic status. Even Djokovic has basically been given the hint that he'll be okay to participate in the US Open later this year, whereas he had to miss Indian Wells.

So, it's just a case of what comes first now: the House bill reaching the Senate before April 10 (unlikely) thus immediately ending the restriction; or the ban being lifted by the CDC on April 10 (likely), and I think this may be what Cunard is expecting; or the whole sketch finally ending anyway on May 11 (a certainty). I really wouldn't be surprised, though, if the WHO declaration confirming the end of the whole emergency also comes in May, choreographed emblematically around the US ending everything. Tellingly, the DG at the WHO briefed only last week, following a first communique in September, that the pandemic will certainly be declared over in 2023.

The direction of travel (pun intended) is heading only one way, just a case of very soon, quite soon or soonish.

Edited by GWAM
amended 182 to 185
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, GWAM said:

True, but there are three, potentially overlapping, elements to consider in what is now a pretty quick-moving picture, likely to be clarified pretty imminently. Firstly, the US block on un-vaxxed travellers was extended in January – to most people's surprise, certainly the US travel industry, who'd expected it to then be lifted – but only until April 10th, theoretically another review. The take-away point, though, was that it was the shortest extension yet, possibly indicating that restrictions will be lifted immediately after Easter. It just sounded like a final belt on some last braces and the US keeping a really cautious weather-eye on the Chinese new year and the period thereafter, just in case another major wave reared up. It hasn't mercifully. Secondly, the House voted on Feb 8th (HR 185) to immediately scrap the whole ban on un-vaxxed travel anyway, not even wait until spring. The bill, though, hasn't yet reached the Senate. In any case, the White House, meantime, has declared that all Covid emergency measures – literally everything affecting the US internally and externally – will cease on May 11 regardless. So, essentially Covid-over-and-out, certainly in terms of pandemic status. Even Djokovic has basically been given the hint that he'll be okay to participate in the US Open later this year, whereas he had to miss Indian Wells.

So, it's just a case of what comes first now: the House bill reaching the Senate before April 10 (unlikely) thus immediately ending the restriction; or the ban being lifted by the CDC on April 10 (likely), and I think this may be what Cunard is expecting; or the whole sketch finally ending anyway on May 11 (a certainty). I really wouldn't be surprised, though, if the WHO declaration confirming the end of the whole emergency also comes in May, choreographed emblematically around the US ending everything. Tellingly, the DG at the WHO briefed only last week, following a first communique in September, that the pandemic will certainly be declared over in 2023.

The direction of travel (pun intended) is heading only one way, just a case of very soon, quite soon or soonish.

Now if Australia will come into the land of reality and not keep an out dated policy in effect, maybe cruising around the world will become a more relaxing experience. 

10 hours ago, GWAM said:

I don't think they will ever lift the ban on unvaccinated travel. I think they will just give Djokovic an exemption. But again we shouldn't be complaining the UK is lucky to be on the visa waiver program and we wouldn't like it if it wasn't. In fact I don't think Cunard would even sail out of Southampton if it wasn't but that a different discussion

And ironically they won't even check at the border they will just accept that you are if Cunard says you are. That what has happened the 2 times we have been on flights

Edited by ace2542

This news may end vax being required to enter USA

The Senate adopted a resolution to end the national emergency declaration related to COVID-19 on Wednesday, sending it to President Joe Biden who is expected to sign it.

• Like 2

On 3/29/2023 at 8:04 PM, ace2542 said:

And ironically they won't even check at the border they will just accept that you are if Cunard says you are. That what has happened the 2 times we have been on flights

We flew into HNL from NZ last July - they didn't check then either and it was only 2 weeks past requiring a negative test to fly as well. Which is not to say they could have checked - and the airline certainly did - and the airline passes the information onto the country that you are flying to.  I'm sure cruise ships do the same. 

14 hours ago, moses0 said:

This news may end vax being required to enter USA

The Senate adopted a resolution to end the national emergency declaration related to COVID-19 on Wednesday, sending it to President Joe Biden who is expected to sign it.

I don't think he will sign it but I hope he does it would make things a lot easier at the check in.

10 hours ago, ace2542 said:

I don't think he will sign it but I hope he does it would make things a lot easier at the check in.

I think he will sign it. Their schedule was May 11th. With that date being so close so I can't see him not signing.  Like you I really hope so. I've got family in the UK waiting to come over. 

• 2 weeks later...

It's fairly irrelevant to the cruise line though - NZ dropped vaccine requirements for entry via air months ago - still required for cruise passengers as of last week. The season is pretty much finished now-  suspect they may drop requirements for next season