Brisbane & Darwin

Ombud

I've got 3 ports in Australia and only familiar with 1 (Sydney) on an upcoming cruise. How far is Port of Brisbane from city center (specifically City Cat)? Is there a tram like I had in Sydney in 2018 and Melbourne in 2019? Sounds like it's an industrial port so might not be pedestrian friendly. What about Darwin? Once I get mid city I can usually figure my way about

The Brisbane International Cruise Terminal (BICT) is at Luggage Point not far from the mouth of the Brisbane River. BICT 

The City Cat does not operate to the BICT. Usually there will be shuttles taking passengers into the city centre - at a cost to the passenger. It is about a 30-35 minute drive. There will also be taxis available. 

Darwin - dock within walking distance to city centre - 15 minutes or so. There was a shuttle service operating last time we were there. Darwin

• Thanks 1

Looking for hotel near ship terminal and airport for 2 nights (Oct. 29 -31, 2023) in Brisbane before flight back to SFO. Also, one that will work to see some of the area.  Have  been looking but nothing. 

Thanks

• 1 month later...
On 4/1/2023 at 6:37 AM, sfjakey said:

Looking for hotel near ship terminal and airport for 2 nights (Oct. 29 -31, 2023) in Brisbane before flight back to SFO. Also, one that will work to see some of the area.  Have  been looking but nothing. 

Thanks

If you have two nights and aren't leaving at the crack of dawn, I have learnt it is best to stay in centre of the city rather than near the airport, or port.  

In Brisbane, I'd choose on the Brisbane River near the Botanical Gardens or at Southbank.  Both are beautiful areas to walk around in the cool of the day.  I usually take visitors to Roma Street Parklands, which has beautiful gardens as well as accommodation. 

Southbank has live theatres, museums and art galleries.as well as lots of cafes and a big swimming lagoon. 

16 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

If you have two nights and aren't leaving at the crack of dawn, I have learnt it is best to stay in centre of the city rather than near the airport, or port.  

In Brisbane, I'd choose on the Brisbane River near the Botanical Gardens or at Southbank.  Both are beautiful areas to walk around in the cool of the day.  I usually take visitors to Roma Street Parklands, which has beautiful gardens as well as accommodation. 

Southbank has live theatres, museums and art galleries.as well as lots of cafes and a big swimming lagoon. 

Do have the name of a hotel in that area and how easy is to get there from the port and then back to airport?  Your help is greatly appreciated, Frank and Sarah - SF, CA

We were there on our circumnavigation of Australia 2022/2023 and in Darwin we took the shuttle which stops opposite the bus station. We then took bus nr8 to the Aviation museum which also has a B 52, my husband is an aviation fan but it was very interesting for me as well.

https://www.darwinaviationmuseum.com.au/

happy planning

Rosalyn

On 5/1/2023 at 6:40 PM, MMDown Under said:

How can I get to Southbank from the International Cruise Terminal.  https://eatdrinkandbekerry.net/index.php/2022/11/28/brisbane-international-cruise-terminal/

16 hours ago, Ombud said:

How can I get to Southbank from the International Cruise Terminal.  https://eatdrinkandbekerry.net/index.php/2022/11/28/brisbane-international-cruise-terminal/

You could catch a taxi/Uber to Eagle Junction Railway Station then a train to Southbank.

You could also catch the train from the airport but there is a surcharge for the train from the airport,

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Ombud said:

If the cruise line is providing shuttles into the city I would take one of those and then either walk to Southbank or taxi/uber if too far for you to walk. If no shuttles, then taxi/uber are best bet. 

After I starting inquiring someone on the roll call stated Princess does a shuttle but its not open ended. More like a DIY excursion. So I'm taking that. Just posted this this afternoon 

image.thumb.jpg.5ee30f7faa184f47825b915ec26f0b2d.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ombud said:

After I starting inquiring someone on the roll call stated Princess does a shuttle but its not open ended. More like a DIY excursion. So I'm taking that. Just posted this this afternoon 

image.thumb.jpg.5ee30f7faa184f47825b915ec26f0b2d.jpg

Where the shuttle drops you off in Ann Street, the Anzac Square and Memorial are interesting to have a look at. It's probably a 20-25 minute walk from there across the river to Southbank.

15 hours ago, possum52 said:

Where the shuttle drops you off in Ann Street, the Anzac Square and Memorial are interesting to have a look at. It's probably a 20-25 minute walk from there across the river to Southbank.

Roma Street Parklands are nearby

As is the beautiful Methodist Church

And the City Hall, which is the largest city hall in Australia, has tours of the Hall and the Clock Tower Tours (used to be tallest building in Brisbane).  Also Museum of Brisbane.