Bedding and pillows

JeannyJ

So I've been climbing through posts and can't find anything newer than about 2010. So I'm going to ask, as a newbie, what kind of bedding do they use on HAL ships?  I'm really allergic to feathers and would rather not keep my husband and neighbors awake snoring or worse yet have to sleep on the loveseat or sitting up. I'll have Benadryl with me but I'd really love it if their pillows and bedding are hypoallergenic!

We're going to Alaska July 12-19 on the Volendam.

44 minutes ago, Boatdrill said:

No feathers in the pillows. or comforters.

You can bring your own bedding - sheets and pillows - if you'd be more comfortable. 

Thanks. I found an online store that sells HAL bedding and it says the pillows are goose down but the duvets are immitation. So I thought I better ask the people who'd know for sure.  And I've thought about bringing my pillow but we have a few stops before getting getting to Vancouver (we live 2 provinces away) and I don't want to risk leaving it behind somewhere or having it get lost with our suitcase *knock on wood*.

I loved their pillows when we travelled on the Eurodam last year. 100% polyester.   I even took a photo of the details of the manufacturer- ‘Sobel Westex- www.sobelwestex.com’.

At the time, the manufacturer did not ship internationally.   Oh well, we are leaving for Canada soon so I may be able to find a way to buy one over there.

Helen

• Like 1

I think they used to be down, pillows, anyway.  We did 24 days on NA in 2012 and after a week of increasing stuffiness I asked for hypoallergenic pillows and all was fine.  Duvets don’t bother me.  EM

• Like 1

We also are allergic to feathers, especially DH. We asked our balcony cabin steward. He said only suites use feather pillows. The duvet in our room was polyester. 
Ask for what you need at your first introduction to your room steward. 
m—

• Like 1

I also have allergy issues.  Feather pillows/duvets make me stuffy and sneezy.  Sheets with polyester give me rashes.  On Noordam in Oct/Nov there were no feather or down pillows/duvets and the sheets were 100% cotton (and really soft and comfortable).  The mattresses in the Neptune Suite were the best I every slept on in my life.  As others have said, you can talk to your room stewards.  They will take good care of you.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, aliaschief said:

Call Ship Services and notify them of your allergies and needs. There very accommodating for special needs.

Several times we’ve listed the feathers allergy in advance, but it never seemed to get through to room stewards, just dining services where they thought it was an allergy to poultry. I finally gave up and now just talk to the room stewards. Your mileage may vary! 

Edited by RMLincoln
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Our beds on Westerdam last January each had two pillows. One was normal size, the other was much wider. My cabin mate loved the wide pillow because she could easily wrap it around her head and ears to muffle the snoring of the other (ahem) cabin occupant.😉

Have always found HAL beds comfy. Thinking back, I haven't experienced any bed discomfort on any of the six different lines I've cruised with.

• Like 1

I also have a feather allergy -- We don't travel in suites but occasionally find a feather pillow in our HAL room.  So, I check them when we enter the cabin & ask the room steward to replace, if necessary.  Duvets are never a problem.

I've made requests beforehand but find that not everyone understands that feathers also includes down!  So, always check 🙂 

• Like 1

On 3/27/2023 at 2:13 AM, Aitchgeye said:

I loved their pillows when we travelled on the Eurodam last year. 100% polyester.   I even took a photo of the details of the manufacturer- ‘Sobel Westex- www.sobelwestex.com’.

At the time, the manufacturer did not ship internationally.   Oh well, we are leaving for Canada soon so I may be able to find a way to buy one over there.

Helen

I am impressed by your level of research!

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

I am on the Eurodam next month and will peek at the tags to see if they're the same; I've always love HAL sheets - they contribute to me wanting to linger far too long in bed, even though I am on vacation...

LOL I won't need more reason to sleep in but a comfy bed with pillows that don't aggrivate my allergies will add to my desire to be lazy!

7 hours ago, POA1 said:

I am impressed by your level of research!

Thanks, desperate times lead to desperate measures (I have neck problems). I even asked the cabin steward if I could buy this pillow.  You can guess the answer.

H

• Like 1