Magnets for the walls

Another use -

Some ships no longer have a curtain between the bed and the sofa bed/seating area.  We brought magnets with us and asked our cabin steward for an extra king sized flat sheet.  We put one edge of the sheet between the ceiling and a magnet every foot or so. Instant room divider.

Keep powerful rare earth magnets away from anything that may be sensitive to magnetic fields, like watches, some electronics, and medical devices (e.g., pacemakers.)

• Like 3

I also bring at least one camping clothesline, both for clipping little things and accessories, and for drying swimuits. I don't leave it unattended on my balcony but if I'm sitting out there anyway it does help to dry things out. I've never had anything come close to flying off. Again, never leave it unattended.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, hisfirstm8 said:

I know that I've read somewhere on these posts that people bring magnets for the room walls.  Can you give me some ideas on what you hang on the magnets? Trying to decide whether to purchase some to bring with us.  Thanks so much.

Cleans up the surface clutter and keeps important notices front and center. 

AA30EE06-4BAF-4A2B-9862-10AF0D7870C2.jpeg

Edited by teddie
  • Like 2

I use a CPAP and after my first cruise with the extension cord strung across the cabin floor, I was looking for a better solution - someone suggested using the magnetic hooks to thread the extension cord across the ceiling and over to the plug.  We're gonna try on our next cruise in April.  I bought an extra set of magnetic hooks just for that purpose.  

Like others, we use the hooks to hold bags, caps, lanyards, belts, etc. so they are easily located and helps avoid excess clutter on the little surface space we have.  I didn't realize they could be used in the bathroom, too - that will be nice to have a place to hang a few things there.

• Like 2

I use a CPAP too. But on most of the newer ships you won't need an extension cord at all. We just got off the Anthem. The outlet is right next to the bed. You can also pre-order your distilled water and extra pillows if you need too.

• Like 2

Now I'm wondering if the 10-pack I just bought from the previous link will be enough.  
DH has a CPAP and we'll be on Voyager, so I assume we'll want to use the extension cord on the ceiling thing.   
Then DD is that age that NEEDS privacy and she will be sharing a room with a friend, so I thought we'd hang a sheet curtain between their beds.  

• Like 2

I've got a couple of dozen of them.  I think I lose them and reorder from Amazon then find them in a side pocket of my backpack when loading it up to go on an upcoming cruise.  They always come in handy.  One Christmas sailing, my son-in-law, for whatever reason, brought Christmas lights on the cruise, he had no idea how he was going to use them or that I had hooks.  That was an unexpected use of them.  Good thing RCCL provided an extension cord for my CPAP that I didn't need.

NOTE:  Not every wall is metal.  But, the vast majority are.  

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, HappyTexan44 said:

Now I'm wondering if the 10-pack I just bought from the previous link will be enough.  
DH has a CPAP and we'll be on Voyager, so I assume we'll want to use the extension cord on the ceiling thing.   
Then DD is that age that NEEDS privacy and she will be sharing a room with a friend, so I thought we'd hang a sheet curtain between their beds.  

A very cheap plastic shower curtain or two works well as it already has holes in it for the hooks.  Biglots has a good selection of cheap and compact, easy-to-pack, curtains.  We also take those plastic zip ties (long ones) just in case the curtain is too short, and hang the zip ties from the hooks with the curtain hanging from the zip ties. 

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

I've got a couple of dozen of them.  I think I lose them and reorder from Amazon then find them in a side pocket of my backpack when loading it up to go on an upcoming cruise.  They always come in handy.  One Christmas sailing, my son-in-law, for whatever reason, brought Christmas lights on the cruise, he had no idea how he was going to use them or that I had hooks.  That was an unexpected use of them.  Good thing RCCL provided an extension cord for my CPAP that I didn't need.

NOTE:  Not every wall is metal.  But, the vast majority are.  

I do the same on December cruises.   Use the magnet hooks on the wall, then hang my LED battery lights along the wall.  Very festive.  LED allowed.. non LED not allowed.  LED does not get hot.  

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, island lady said:

I do the same on December cruises.   Use the magnet hooks on the wall, then hang my LED battery lights along the wall.  Very festive.  LED allowed.. non LED not allowed.  LED does not get hot.  

I'm very surprised my son-in-law got away with bringing the Xmas lights onboard.  After all, they are basically extension cords.  And his weren't even LED.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ret MP said:

I'm very surprised my son-in-law got away with bringing the Xmas lights onboard.  After all, they are basically extension cords.  And his weren't even LED.

He just didn't get caught.  😉 

I had one attendant that questioned my lights when she saw them hung up....I brought her over to touch them (cool)...and she apologized letting me know they were allowed.  

Good point about the extension cord...which is the reason I always put my lights in my carry on...just in case.  

• Like 2

23 hours ago, CTSRJS said:

I use a CPAP too. But on most of the newer ships you won't need an extension cord at all. We just got off the Anthem. The outlet is right next to the bed. You can also pre-order your distilled water and extra pillows if you need too.

That is such great news!  We have a cruise booked for the Jewel next month, and then the Adventure next April.  Our first cruise with a CPAP was this past September and I used duct tape to secure the cord to the floor overnight and pulled it up in the day... but it was a nightmare to get the "sticky" off the extension cord on the last night - thankfully we were able to get it off, but it took some work.  So I was excited when I read someone said they thread it across the ceiling.  

On 3/27/2023 at 8:55 AM, ILCTCRUISER said:

If you’re planning to use them to hang clothing, such as pool coverups, windbreakers etc, make sure you get ones that can handle weight.  They’re really inexpensive so beefier is better.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=magnetic+hooks+cruise&crid=1P9D5J747ZAGX&sprefix=Magnetic+hooks%2Caps%2C157&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_2_14

Don't forget to get CHAIR clips if you9 have a balcony...The wind some time has no mercy.    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09RWQR9JG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

On 3/27/2023 at 7:59 AM, Mabbiez said:

They also work in the shower. I used it to hang my shower poof and a wash cloth. Also they can be good for wet bathing suits!

WOW!!  I just had the biggest DUH moment.  I am taking cruise number 29 in a few weeks and have always used magnets for paperwork etc. and never thought about using them in the shower!!  I always used shower curtain hooks to hang my little organizer but that puts in under the stream of water.

Thanks for pointing out what should have been very obvious to me lol!

• Like 3