Non-Refundable but in the cancellation details .. refundable

publicpersona

About to pull the trigger on another cruise and want to make really sure I understand the cancellation penalties. In the pricing details, it shows a non-refundable resident special offer. That seems clear. But when I click on the Cancellation Fees link for details, it says nothing about any cancellation fee if cancelled prior to July 24. Which do I trust (OK, obvious answer - trust the one that does Celebrity the most good)?

image.png.24ec23cb42d8db39867971bdd3361883.png

cruisecancel2.jpg

The key word is "additional".  You'll lose your non-refundable deposit regardless of when you cancel. If you cancel within those specific date ranges, you'll lose your deposit and then the additional % of the "Total Cruise Fare" (which is the amount BEFORE deposit is deducted from amount owing). 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, NevadaCruiser2023 said:

The key word is "additional".  You'll lose your non-refundable deposit regardless of when you cancel. If you cancel within those specific date ranges, you'll lose your deposit and then the additional % of the "Total Cruise Fare" (which is the amount BEFORE deposit is deducted from amount owing). 

I don't doubt that, but the math gets kinda weird. The deposit is already around 50% of the cruise fare, so cancelling after 8/8/23 really means no refund at all already.

I was expecting this would be a non-refundable fare so not surprised at that .. just trying to make sense of the details at that link. I've since done several dummy bookings and see that those details are the same regardless of other particulars of the booking.

Nothing unusual about this.  Refundable/non-refundable only applies before final payment.  July 24 is final payment and you lose 25% of full fare if you cancel after that date.

The deposit is non-refundable if you cancel before final payment.  If you cancel after final payment then

you may lose additional $ if the 25% penalty is more than your non-refundable deposit. After 7/24 up  8-8 at which point you lose 50%, etc.

2 hours ago, Happy2cruise said:

Just cancelled a cruise with a non refundable deposit. Was told $200 will be deducted from deposit and remainder refunded to us. I just assumed the rep was wrong and not expecting anything back....guess time will tell.

If you booked before  3/2/23 then you booked when the policy was $100 pp charge and remainder in a FCC.  

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, indy406 said:

We're looking at a cruise a for year from now. Non-refundable total cost is $6,000. Refundable total cost is $7,100. So why not book the cheaper non-refundable fare and buy insurance?

What kind of insurance are you referencing?  The insurance offered by Celebrity or a different travel insurance company?

24 minutes ago, indy406 said:

We're looking at a cruise a for year from now. Non-refundable total cost is $6,000. Refundable total cost is $7,100. So why not book the cheaper non-refundable fare and buy insurance?

Sure if you can get CAFR insurance - Cancel for any reason .

This just happened to me. I canceled a non. Refundable deposit and my travel agent said they would let me use it  on a future booking. I gave him the booking for a future cruise and he then called back and said they were going to charge me a $200 fee for switching bookings.  
I realize  I knew this going in but I still think it’s a lousy way to do business 

@indy406 I'm on the same page as @Arizona Wildcat. You'd have to either get CFAR insurance or have a qualifying cancellation event to get the deposit back. CFAR insurance can get expensive and normally only covers up to 75% of non-refundable payments, so you're likely to end up pretty even if you cancel before final payment.