Bid to upgrade being rolled out

Cathygh

6 hours ago, No pager thank you said:

I think that the other relevant point about the difference between booking the preferred cabin type at initial booking with P&O and "banking on the bid" is as follows:

-- Any extra OBC which could have been achieved at the point of initial booking, is not made available to successful bidders.  This can be quite lucrative, particularly if P&O has an offer on to encourage bookings of outsides and balconies.

This "loss," plus the 5% discount (sometimes) available by using a TA, unless one chooses the "price match" available from P&O, both have to be added together, and then contrasted with the lowest available price for the cabin at the point of initial booking.  This is because the new cabin will most likely be in the lowest grade type.

Together these factors together make it not look such a great deal always, particularly if the trend if giving out free upgrades, which will possibly happen by default of changing more cabins closer to departure, is seen in practice by passengers I.e., why risk paying extra when I may have a better chance of paying nothing and receiving the same, or I could even get the same for free by visiting reception?

Perhaps the savvy thing to do in future will be to take note of all the price options when booking the cruise.  Then use this to compare both if it makes sense to "ditch and switch," if the price comes down a lot (and therefore it makes sense to either forgoe or move your deposit), and how good a deal of "bidding up" really is, when the opportunity arises.  It also has the possibly interesting, but unintended, consequence of dissuading some people from booking the select, rather than the saver fare.

Have to say though, this is quite a clever money making scheme by P&O, and will wind most people up less than increasing drinks prices, for example.

Interesting points. I’ve just ploughed through the detailed T’s and Cs for the upgrade scheme and there is no mention that it only applies to Select bookings only. On that basis, I’m inclined to agree that some people who often book lower grade cabins on a Select basis may now start booking them as a Saver and then submitting multiple upgrade bids for several grades above.

As you say, it’s worth keeping a note of all the various pricing options for different grades at the time of booking, as the T’s and Cs make it clear that any OBC will remain at the level of the ‘booked’ cabin, rather than the ‘upgraded’ cabin. As it’s safe to assume that 99% of people won’t do that, some of those who are successful in securing an upgrade won’t be getting as good a deal as they think!

• Like 2

I booked an inside Saver on Britannia for June and was sent the upgrade bid email a few days ago. I will not bid because the only offered cabins are the other side of the corridor. Inside single on deck 16 to single balcony on deck 16

• Like 1

We've received today the upgrade email for our Britannia cruise at the end of June.  Upgrade from Superior Delux balcony to a Suite is £690 per person, bringing the total cost to almost exactly the price they were at the time booked originally, and just a few pounds cheaper than available through the website today.  There are plenty of suites available.

All seems rather pointless really.   A similar scheme works with RCCL and you can bag a bargain there, doesn't look like that's going to be the case with P&O.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, abo said:

We've received today the upgrade email for our Britannia cruise at the end of June.  Upgrade from Superior Delux balcony to a Suite is £690 per person, bringing the total cost to almost exactly the price they were at the time booked originally, and just a few pounds cheaper than available through the website today.  There are plenty of suites available.

All seems rather pointless really.   A similar scheme works with RCCL and you can bag a bargain there, doesn't look like that's going to be the case with P&O.

If this is a Carnival decision that all brands must offer this upgrade bidding, then just maybe this is P&O management making the best of this system. Possibly they think they will have higher revenues through normal sales rather than this gimmick.

I had wondered whether these upgrade bids would stop normal upgrades however it appears not.

On 31 March I booked the lowest grade select fare inside cabin mainly to get my welcome back OBC, port buses and the current OBC offer. I could have picked a specific cabin but as the price rose considerably took a chance. 

This morning I've received a cabin upgrade notice - I never even knew where my forward inside cabin was located - which to my surprise has moved me to a deck 9 GE aft balcony cabin.  Looking at the deck plan I assume this may be one of the less desirable places due to possible noise issues but as it's one huge upgrade I can't really complain. Does anyone have experience of a cabin in this area, the one I have is 9727. Thanks.

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

I had wondered whether these upgrade bids would stop normal upgrades however it appears not.

On 31 March I booked the lowest grade select fare inside cabin mainly to get my welcome back OBC, port buses and the current OBC offer. I could have picked a specific cabin but as the price rose considerably took a chance. 

This morning I've received a cabin upgrade notice - I never even knew where my forward inside cabin was located - which to my surprise has moved me to a deck 9 GE aft balcony cabin.  Looking at the deck plan I assume this may be one of the less desirable places due to possible noise issues but as it's one huge upgrade I can't really complain. Does anyone have experience of a cabin in this area, the one I have is 9727. Thanks.

Yes, you will get a lot of noise from the Club House, both in the evening and during rehearsals.

However it will be nice to hear the hymn singing at the Sunday Services.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Please correct me if I’m wrong, but didn’t you have quite a bit of preferential treatment from P&O on a previous cruise due to correspondence that you had been entering into with them (insurance?)? If so, I wonder if your upgrade is a continuation of that?

A lot of companies will ‘look after’ people deemed to be ‘influencers’ (once they have identified them) in order to curry favour and hopefully generate positive reviews. For this reason, I always take with a great pinch of salt the often gushing reviews of those who promote their own cruise review sites or blogs as they aren’t always reporting on the ‘normal’ experience. Of course, I might be barking up completely the wrong tree, as I know that this latter point certainly doesn’t apply in your case.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Please correct me if I’m wrong, but didn’t you have quite a bit of preferential treatment from P&O on a previous cruise due to correspondence that you had been entering into with them (insurance?)? If so, I wonder if your upgrade is a continuation of that?

A lot of companies will ‘look after’ people deemed to be ‘influencers’ (once they have identified them) in order to curry favour and hopefully generate positive reviews. For this reason, I always take with a great pinch of salt the often gushing reviews of those who promote their own cruise review sites or blogs as they aren’t always reporting on the ‘normal’ experience. Of course, I might be barking up completely the wrong tree, as I know that this latter point certainly doesn’t apply in your case.

You are correct I did get a massive upgrade and lots of goodies for my family and I on various cruises in December 2021.  However we didn't do very well in December 2022 with what I'd call an okay cabin on Britannia over Christmas.  I also normally experience very good customer service when I have a problem and P&O have been exceptionally kind to me about various cancellations and did gift me my aunt's FCC last year as well.  Not sure I influence anyone though but I do know when onboard my account has a "P" beside it which according to the food and beverage manager stands for something but he knows not what!  However whatever it is it generally means I've normally got reservations etc without any problems.

I've never really thought along the lines you suggest but if you're correct long may it last!!!!

It's a good news day for me apart from the upgrade as I've just settled my aunt and her partner's two insurance claims in full with Allclear.  The experience was a pleasure and very easy, if this is their normal service I'd recommend them.

Happy Easter.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

You are correct I did get a massive upgrade and lots of goodies for my family and I on various cruises in December 2021.  However we didn't do very well in December 2022 with what I'd call an okay cabin on Britannia over Christmas.  I also normally experience very good customer service when I have a problem and P&O have been exceptionally kind to me about various cancellations and did gift me my aunt's FCC last year as well.  Not sure I influence anyone though but I do know when onboard my account has a "P" beside it which according to the food and beverage manager stands for something but he knows not what!  However whatever it is it generally means I've normally got reservations etc without any problems.

I've never really thought along the lines you suggest but if you're correct long may it last!!!!

It's a good news day for me apart from the upgrade as I've just settled my aunt and her partner's two insurance claims in full with Allclear.  The experience was a pleasure and very easy, if this is their normal service I'd recommend them.

Happy Easter.

Great news about your claim. Well done! Sounds as though my theory may have some legs then. I probably have a ‘P’ against my name also but, in my case, it probably stands for “Pain in the a**e” 😂 

• Haha 12

They could also sell lightening lane tickets(Like Disney do to skip the wait for rides) for the Arvia MDR 🤣

And you get a revised menu included in the price which has prawn cocktails and salmon always available  👍

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, silkworms said:

Yes, you will get a lot of noise from the Club House, both in the evening and during rehearsals.

However it will be nice to hear the hymn singing at the Sunday Services.

Will you even be in the room much when they are rehearsing or In the evenings to care?

I would only be worried about noisy cabins between the hours of 11pm and 6.30am myself

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Selbourne said:

Well seeing as I've promoted Arvia so much lately do you think I should make myself known to P and O to start getting preferential treatment?

Lol

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Mad4WDW said:

They could also sell lightening lane tickets(Like Disney do to skip the wait for rides) for the Arvia MDR 🤣

And you get a revised menu included in the price which has prawn cocktails and salmon always available  👍

I'm hoping the "P" stands for prawns this time around ...

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

32 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Well seeing as I've promoted Arvia so much lately do you think I should make myself known to P and O to start getting preferential treatment?

Lol

I had rather assumed that you were on commission anyway 😂 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

20 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

I had rather assumed that you were on commission anyway 😂 

I wish!!

Of course it's important I remain entirely neutral so I can continue to give totally unbiased blogs about how brilliant Arvia and hopefully Iona are right now !!

Have to admit I'm glad we can go outside the school holidays 

Edited by Interestedcruisefan
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

I wish!!

Of course it's important I remain entirely neutral so I can continue to give totally unbiased blogs about how brilliant Arvia and hopefully Iona are right now !!

Have to admit I'm glad we can go outside the school holidays 

Yes, that’s my worry (we are on Iona in August 😱). I’m looking forward to our first ‘post Covid’ cruise and our adult daughters (who we are taking) are particularly looking forward to it. We are also on a waiting list for a May cruise, but I’m not holding out any hope as we need an accessible balcony cabin (which look great on Iona and Arvia). Whilst the August school holiday experience may be a ‘challenge’, if we like the ship we will be looking to book some out of season cheapies just for ourselves. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Selbourne said:

Yes, that’s my worry (we are on Iona in August 😱). I’m looking forward to our first ‘post Covid’ cruise and our adult daughters (who we are taking) are particularly looking forward to it. We are also on a waiting list for a May cruise, but I’m not holding out any hope as we need an accessible balcony cabin (which look great on Iona and Arvia). Whilst the August school holiday experience may be a ‘challenge’, if we like the ship we will be looking to book some out of season cheapies just for ourselves. 

I saw one of the accessable cabins on deck 15 and they are very spacious 

4 hours ago, Selbourne said:

We are also on a waiting list for a May cruise, but I’m not holding out any hope as we need an accessible balcony cabin (which look great on Iona and Arvia).

Cabin 11534 on Arvia:

1.thumb.JPG.a1873b156160f8b458ab70e04edbe5f3.JPG

2.thumb.JPG.2da46485ae4117faa52c697cf1a9f9dd.JPG

4.thumb.JPG.e14ef7c854f095e09072737822f0b405.JPG

6.thumb.JPG.6d795d00a9dda2469ca6a493da128ef8.JPG

12.thumb.JPG.e5144c5b4daa8b571c75ff984d82fe6e.JPG

9.thumb.JPG.fa134880d4ea73d31073da8bd57cd255.JPG

21.thumb.JPG.2229a3b1855091e075baefb8e2b6bc39.JPG

26.thumb.JPG.8c871f1fa13802e004e27a553421e28d.JPG

28.thumb.JPG.5998eed81e9daacce43e6fc6719f972d.JPG

31.thumb.JPG.b9ffc10535968b6190675d5e9d4682bb.JPG

32.thumb.JPG.15e47450d2e4596ae967a15a7e4805bd.JPG

33.thumb.JPG.03c12f14b102fab8bb7299f0049162b6.JPG

34.thumb.JPG.a746937940e2711089feffbbd42c2d5f.JPG

38.thumb.JPG.bf0da7fbffd3c8d90bec6edbff0670c3.JPG

41.thumb.jpg.19dfc02369b3f740518da8fa59af6f43.jpg

44.thumb.JPG.677e8f2c2fe1376e2f52978d294c8a8e.JPG

45.thumb.JPG.792b2e265e861d11ee6a34a27902c2c1.JPG

8.JPG

11.JPG

Edited by TigerB
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, TigerB said:

Cabin 11534 on Arvia:

1.thumb.JPG.a1873b156160f8b458ab70e04edbe5f3.JPG

2.thumb.JPG.2da46485ae4117faa52c697cf1a9f9dd.JPG

6.thumb.JPG.6d795d00a9dda2469ca6a493da128ef8.JPG

12.thumb.JPG.e5144c5b4daa8b571c75ff984d82fe6e.JPG

9.thumb.JPG.fa134880d4ea73d31073da8bd57cd255.JPG

21.thumb.JPG.2229a3b1855091e075baefb8e2b6bc39.JPG

26.thumb.JPG.8c871f1fa13802e004e27a553421e28d.JPG

28.thumb.JPG.5998eed81e9daacce43e6fc6719f972d.JPG

31.thumb.JPG.b9ffc10535968b6190675d5e9d4682bb.JPG

32.thumb.JPG.15e47450d2e4596ae967a15a7e4805bd.JPG

33.thumb.JPG.03c12f14b102fab8bb7299f0049162b6.JPG

34.thumb.JPG.a746937940e2711089feffbbd42c2d5f.JPG

38.thumb.JPG.bf0da7fbffd3c8d90bec6edbff0670c3.JPG

41.thumb.jpg.19dfc02369b3f740518da8fa59af6f43.jpg

44.thumb.JPG.677e8f2c2fe1376e2f52978d294c8a8e.JPG

45.thumb.JPG.792b2e265e861d11ee6a34a27902c2c1.JPG

8.JPG

11.JPG

The cabins are great, but my wife found the bed height was a bit too high for her to sit comfortably on the edge of the bed with her feet reaching the floor. Which is rather important for her being severely right sided disabled, and having balance issues.

1 minute ago, terrierjohn said:

The cabins are great, but my wife found the bed height was a bit too high for her to sit comfortably on the edge of the bed with her feet reaching the floor. Which is rather important for her being severely right sided disabled, and having balance issues.

That is one very poor feature of the accessible cabins John, the beds are far too high for a wheelchair user to transfer independently. I always have to help her on and off.  Ideally they should be the same height as the beds in Premier Inn, which we've found to be between 44cm and 49cm. The last time we were on Britannia I asked our cabin steward if it could be lowered; he said no.

I recently bought one of these and it makes getting in and out of the bath much easier

49.5cm x 40cm  x10cm and in various colours. Less than £15 from that river website

Maybe P&O could consider investing in one for each accessible cabin

bath step.jpg

Edited by davecttr
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, davecttr said:

I recently bought one of these and it makes getting in and out of the bath much easier

49.5cm x 40cm  x10cm and in various colours. Less than £15 from that river website

Maybe P&O could consider investing in one for each accessible cabin

bath step.jpg

It could be useful for folk who are already sat on the bed and want their feet to reach something solid. Not though suitable for folk like my wife, who cannot stand unaided, to step onto in order to then get onto the bed; it would still require someone to assist them.

The thought was there though, Dave.👍

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, TigerB said:

It could be useful for folk who are already sat on the bed and want their feet to reach something solid. Not though suitable for folk like my wife, who cannot stand unaided, to step onto in order to then get onto the bed; it would still require someone to assist them.

The thought was there though, Dave.👍

It might well be a useful aid for my wife, even if only to enable her to better support herself as she sits on the edge of the bed. I would probably remove it when she needs to stand in order to transfer to her wheelchair.

• Like 2