How many sundresses?

ruru107

How many casual sundresses should I pack for a 7 day cruise in the Caribbean? I'm thinking 2 to 5. We're flying in and not checking any bags, so I have to be conscious of how much I pack. For the 2 formal/elegant dinner nights I am bringing 2 cocktail dresses. So the sundresses are for the 5 casual dinner nights. If I bring less than 5 I will re-wear some I guess... I know people say "no one remembers what you're wearing" but it still bothers me.  Now, if I can fit 5 in my suitcase, I'm bringing 5. 😆

(I'm not bringing any dressy pants, capris, blouses, or skirts.)

• Haha 1

Well,  I did a month over in France and Italy last summer when the temps were 100+ everyday.  I went with 3 dresses.  One was what I guess you could call a "sundress", a sleeveless linen number.  The others were a short sleeve linen button-down dress and a wool (yes, wool) tshirt dress.  The tshirt dress could be dressed up or down as needed.  I'm taking it on my Alaska cruise as my only dress to wear when I go to specialty dinners.  

Most of the cruise ships now don’t really have formal nights, more if an elegant chic. I’d go with the 5 sundresses (roll them & you’ll have plenty of room). Just limit your shoes. No capris/shorts/slacks or tops?  What are you planning on wearing during the day?

I'm a perennial over packer but I wear dresses during the day in hot climates especially. So I wouldn't take a different outfit every night for dinner, but I take things that could be day or night dresses depending on accessories. I think having 2 outfits for every day of travel is too much even for me and I would use some of the space for scarves, jewelry, wraps that change the look of what I have.

ruru, I'm with you (to a point): two cocktail dresses, and since you have five sundresses you like, take the five sundresses.

For me, the only difference is that since I don't have AC at home, and I rarely go to stores or other public spaces, when I do encounter AC I freeze, especially on ships with the new enhanced ventilation. For that reason, I now pack only clothing with sleeves. I refuse to put on a nice dress and then have to cover it with a cardigan or a hoodie. I dress for the evening every evening (formal or casual), but I am more likely to wear a dress with 3/4 sleeves, or palazzo pants with a long-sleeve tunic or jersey.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, awhfy said:

Most of the cruise ships now don’t really have formal nights, more if an elegant chic. I’d go with the 5 sundresses (roll them & you’ll have plenty of room). Just limit your shoes. No capris/shorts/slacks or tops?  What are you planning on wearing during the day?

I’m wearing shorts with a t shirt or tank top during the day. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

ruru, I'm with you (to a point): two cocktail dresses, and since you have five sundresses you like, take the five sundresses.

For me, the only difference is that since I don't have AC at home, and I rarely go to stores or other public spaces, when I do encounter AC I freeze, especially on ships with the new enhanced ventilation. For that reason, I now pack only clothing with sleeves. I refuse to put on a nice dress and then have to cover it with a cardigan or a hoodie. I dress for the evening every evening (formal or casual), but I am more likely to wear a dress with 3/4 sleeves, or palazzo pants with a long-sleeve tunic or jersey.

I get chilly too! I plan on bringing a shawl in case it’s cold at dinner 

• Like 1

Have you thought about carrying a skirt? I usually pack a skirt that goes with a bunch of different casual tops. The tops are worn with the skirt for dinner one night, then with shorts or capris onshore on another day.

We're planning a 17-day holiday right now and I'm planning to carry 3 dresses and a skirt. If someone notices that I'm wearing the same thing twice, I honestly don't care. hahahaha

• Like 1

We like to dress up for formal nights, and the other nights I wear a casual dress or pants and casual top (not a tshirt), but then I will wear the dress or the top with shorts again during the day on a different day.

I actually hang my clothes in the closet in the order I plan to wear them, so ones I've  worn just go to the end of the line until I get to them again.

I try to take one pair of formal shoes and one heeled casual sandal for evenings that coordinate with my outfits.

I prefer to plan ahead and then I don't spend any time thinking about what to wear, I can just enjoy my day.

• Like 1

So you're going to wear shorts /tees during the day?  You'll never wear these dresses as daytime wear?  With that in mind -- partnered with your desire to pack light -- I'd bring one cocktail dress and three sundresses; each one would "go to dinner" twice.  Even if you don't change right after dinner, these dresses will be worn less time than your normal clothes at home.  Be sure one simple pair of shoes matches all the dresses. 

And, as someone else said, hang the dresses after wearing them once.  

• Like 1