Hong Kong Hotel Choice

GerScot

Hi, I have posted this on ports of call but not much action over there. We are sailing on Solstice and we will have 3 night stay in Hong Kong prior to our cruise in November. We have been given choice of Grand Harbour Kowloon, Stanford Hotel and or Regal Hotel Kowloon. Anyone have any experience of these and location they are in? We have never been to Hong Kong so a bit unsure. Any other similar options we should consider?

Thanks

22 minutes ago, GerScot said:

Hi, I have posted this on ports of call but not much action over there. We are sailing on Solstice and we will have 3 night stay in Hong Kong prior to our cruise in November. We have been given choice of Grand Harbour Kowloon, Stanford Hotel and or Regal Hotel Kowloon. Anyone have any experience of these and location they are in? We have never been to Hong Kong so a bit unsure. Any other similar options we should consider?

Thanks

Yeah, it is slow over there on that other board. 

I do not have any experience with this yet either although we are taking a Solstice cruise out of Singapore that ends in Hong Kong over Christmas and NYE.  We plan on staying in Hong Kong after the cruise for 5 nights.  From what I have read (and from talking to my parents who lived there a long time ago but have visited several times since), the big decision you have to make is whether you want to stay at a hotel located on Hong Kong Island or if you want to be in Kowloon which is the peninsula.  There are pros and cons with both locations.  All 3 of your choices are in Kowloon.

image.thumb.png.7df2a61b9ce3c08787029004d673f36f.png

I love Hong Kong!  Been going there for 40 years for both work and vacations.  Last time I was there was a few months before the pandemic outbreak.  

I love staying on Kowloon.  From that side you get great views of the laser light show that occurs nightly on Hong Kong Island.   Also, you can either take the subway one stop from there and you're on Hong Kong Island.  You can also take the classic Star Ferry across HK Harbor.  It's a delightful ride, especially at night (although I think I read somewhere that they may be closing down the ferry at some point).  

I've never stayed at any of the hotels you've noted so can't comment.  

My favorite hotel is the Regent (formerly Intercontinental) right on the harbor on the Kowloon side.  It's pricey but hey, you only go around once.   I've also stayed at the Renaissance Hong Kong Harbour View Hotel and the Park Lane Hotel on the Hong Kong Island side. They're more reasonably priced.  Finally, I've stayed at the Island Shangri-la, also on the Hong Kong Island side.   

Hotels are very expensive in Hong Kong but with the Covid mess there, they're offering some great deals.  

Enjoy!  I hope to get there at least one more time before I hang up my traveling shoes.

I forgot to mention another place in my earlier post.   The Salisbury, YMCA Kowloon.  The first time a friend stayed there, I thought he was joking but look it up on Trip Advisor.  It's close to the harbor and some rooms have harbor views.  It books up early and is open to all.

Been a couple of times to HK. Prefer Kowloon. Just booked the Eden Hotel for our post cruise stay in November. Spent hours on Tripadvisor and hotel websites. Not as cheap as before and harder to find  a free refundable rate. You’ll love it.

Imagine this will be moved to Ports of Call page.

Like many people, we have suffered through 3 cancellations for our Singapore/Hong Kong cruises (2020, 2021, and 2022).  Hopefully the 2023/24 cruises actually sail and with Hong Kong still on the itinerary.  2020 was supposed to be a family cruise, but this year our two adult kids will not be able to go so it will be just my wife and me.  The small tiny silver lining is that it makes the hotel arrangements simpler and cheaper.

4 hours ago, GerScot said:

Thanks

We stayed at the Grand Harbour. We were travelling with our adult son at the time so wanted a two room suite with sofa bed/additional bed option in the lounge area.

We upgraded to a harbour view suite which had big windows overlooking the bay, access to the concierge lounge with free breakfast and cocktails and snacks in the evening. Whilst the upgrade wasn’t cheap the room was lovely, a genuine suite and we felt we had value for money from the concierge perks. This was pre covid so I don’t know if it operates the same now…

Without the upgrade to concierge facilities and a harbour view room the hotel didn’t have masses of facilities if I remember correctly. A big breakfast option but fairly expensive, a small rooftop pool a restaurant that was OK but again expensive. However, very close to lots of nice restaurants and shops and the ferry just a minutes walk away. I do hope someone who has visited since we did can confirm…

If you aren’t bothered about extra space, the view and the concierge perks available with an upgrade you could probably find a better room in a hotel with more facilities (indoor pool) cheaper. I don’t think we would have booked this hotel without upgrading…

Edited by chemmo