Motion sickness

Taking a Med. cruise in May and not anticipating rough waters. We would like to be prepared just in case. Can anyone recommend either a brand name of a patch or a wrist band that has worked for them. Amazon has a lot of choices but hoping for a recommendation of one that may have worked well. Our cruise in December in the Caribbean was a bit rough but we survived without patches or bands so usually isn't an issue for us.

That is absolutely solid advice to speak to your doctor.

There are also OTC options from your pharmacist that you don't need a script for. We recently had a thread here:

Being we're in a different country, we're going to hit the pharmacy in Miami and speak to a pharmacist before we leave next week. My family physician actually prescribed something to me here that isn't even available anymore lol. The UK has some different products OTC that we might try to source in Bermuda.

Don't be bother with magic magnets or plastic bands (or combinations of them), they rely on the placebo effect. If it works for you, awesome, but all they are proven effective to do for is make your wallet lighter. Some of them even love to advertise FDA APPROVED... but in the small print they say FDA approved materials, they are not proven to be clinically effective, only made out of material that should not kill you lol.

• Like 1

On 2 of our many cruises, sea sickness medication was offered to anyone onboard who thought they might need it, after the Captain predicted rough seas ahead of us. Once was in the Caribbean in late January with a strong cold front coming through, on Sea Dream. Breakfast service fell to the floor in the morning. The other was leaving from Singapore in December and heading north toward Koh Samui. Our tender to Koh Samui was cancelled, but we sat in the swells for many hours. In both cases, the reception desk offered meclizine.

The Med can be very rough at times - I know 🤢🤢😂

I always take Stugeron (Cinnarizine) which can be bought from a pharmacist in the UK which I find effective but there will still be days when both the seas and myself are 'rough'.

On our Navigator Caribbean cruise in December the seas were quite rough so I also used the acupressure bands. It might have been 'all in my mind' but I did not feel seasick once 🤩

19 hours ago, Kwaj girl said:

MediMeclazine is available at no cost from Reception.  BUT check with your doctor/pharmacist to be sure it will be okay for you.

The first thing that we do after boarding is to get that days medication and take it before leaving the dock. It's pre packaged in little envelopes and is what the staff uses. I have been told that if you have ever been seasick you might never want to cruise again so we take a proactive approach and have never had a problem. They give it to you at the reception desk and we find it totally non-drowsy.

Ask your doctor about getting the patch.  For me, it is the only thing that works.  The over-the-counter pills don't.  Wrist bands, ginger pills, magnets, etc. just aren't going to cut it if the seas really pick up.

It's unfortunate that some people are more susceptible to seasickness than others (I'm in that category), but there definitely are medicines that will work.

I get motion sick VERY easily, so I will never step on to a boat or drive up a mountain without taking at least a dose of Dramamine.  When on a cruise, I always get the prescription patch Scopolamine.  Some people may have side effects of dry mouth, or even blurred vision,  but it works great for me!

2 hours ago, FamReunionCruiser said:

I get motion sick VERY easily, so I will never step on to a boat or drive up a mountain without taking at least a dose of Dramamine.  When on a cruise, I always get the prescription patch Scopolamine.  Some people may have side effects of dry mouth, or even blurred vision,  but it works great for me!

I get dry mouth from the patch.  A very small price to pay for not being seasick; I'll pay it every time.