Excursions - what has happened

moonglum

On the old web page it was easy to look at available excursions and what they were about and what was included.

Today looked at Sth Africa for next February and it is an utter disaster. No information at all about many of the trips.  How long will we have to put up with this before someone gets their finger out and gets it sorted?

Edited by moonglum
spelling
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, moonglum said:

On the old web page it was easy to look at available excursions and what they were about and what was included.

Today looked at Sth Africa for next February and it is an utter disaster. No information at all about many of the trips.  How long will we have to put up with this before someone gets their finger out and gets it sorted?

Look at the main thread about the website. 
Hardly Azamaras fault if RC gave them a data pack that was a pile of mince. They’ve got all their fingers out already 

They are prioritising those travelling soonest

As you’re not going for another 10 months even on the old site it would have not been fully populated.  I’d give it a couple of months and look back again 

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, moonglum said:

We board in 18 days and there are no excursions available to see/book 

2 hours ago, uktog said:

Look at the main thread about the website. 
Hardly Azamaras fault if RC gave them a data pack that was a pile of mince. They’ve got all their fingers out already 

They are prioritising those travelling soonest

As you’re not going for another 10 months even on the old site it would have not been fully populated.  I’d give it a couple of months and look back again 

I like to compare private vs azamara. I tend to do this six to 12 months out. 

RCL sold Amazara, it wasn't a hostile takeover, so I think it's unlikely that RCL will sabotage Azamara's excursion department during the transition as they know it is a money maker and part of the sale. We are not "bus" people, so we do not book the "Panormic View" excursions, rather we book those that show the activity level as moderate or, more often, strenuous. Even then, the group is as fast as the slowest person. In years past the countries and/or the ports required (didn't suggest) that cruise lines book local tour operators to provide excursions. The pandemic was devastating to these companies, so cruise lines are scrambling to find competent tour operators.  I suggest you keep that in mind when you book.  We frequently book private tour operators.  The key is to look at the port and excursion and determine if getting back to the ship on time (which is the biggest selling point for cruise lines) is questionable. When I expressed a concern to a private guide, she told me that with social media her business would cease overnight if she didn't get someone back on time.  As a result, she had backups in place in case the car broke down etc. I also do this so I know how WE could get to the next port if for some reason we needed to do so.  

Edited by luv2ski2
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I wonder how hard it will be to find available local guides – with so many out of the business post-Covid, the cruise lines may be sewing up all the availability!

I concur and even with established tours there are many new hires without much training, local historical knowledge etc.  Time will tell.

19 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I wonder how hard it will be to find available local guides – with so many out of the business post-Covid, the cruise lines may be sewing up all the availability!

This is not an Azamara issue but it is relevant.  I am doing a Princess cruise to Japan.  About 4 or 5 years ago I booked an Azamara Japan cruise and I had lots of options from ToursbyLocals and other private guides.  The private tour options for this cruise are awful.  It is hard to find anything and at some ports there are only 2 or 3 private options available.

DON

I just returned from a Japan/Korea cruise on HAL. There were also few shore tour options.  Out of four tours that we booked with the ship, two were very good, and the other two, although their command of English was very good, their tour guiding skills were terrible!  There is such a shortage of guides that guides were being flown from Busan Korea to Jeju Korea to guide there the next day. Our best guide experience was the volunteer guides we booked in Osaka through the Goodwill Guides. 

I'm sailing in 29 days for the first time with AZ. (Have taken 25+ cruises on Silversea, Regent, Oceania, Windstar, Celebrity, HAL, Norwegian etc. so this isn't my first rodeo). 

Azamara's website (or lack of one) is disgraceful. Whoever is in charge of the changeover appears woefully inept. You can't do anything on line. Today, I receive an email saying online check in will not be available and I will need to check in at the pier. 

Even though I rarely take cruise excursions, I always look at them as a means of booking private. Nothing to look at-no descriptions or anything. 

When working, I knew enough to have redundancies (and we changed processes and systems often) so normal operation wouldn't be affected. That concept is apparently foreign to current management.

You can't even call-you get a recording saying they're helping customers sailing in the next 30 days so their phone lines are not open. That makes no sense. 

I'm hoping the cruise is much better than what we've experienced thus far. 

Last, I know there will be those who defend Azamara no matter what. From a business standpoint, I cannot understand that. 

Thanks for letting me blow off some steam. 

• Like 2