Currently on Board Solstice

swjumbo

Hello, have you had a chance to visit the World Class bar? Do you happen to know any names of the bartenders, who they are? We usually hang out there during our cruises. Can't wait 2 weeks to go! Thanks for all the updates!

14 hours ago, Nado44 said:

When is the Solstice scheduled to be revolutionized? Last I heard/read was that it was going to take place prior to the September/October 2023 YVR-SYD Transpacific.

We were on the revolutionised Silhouette. She is a beautiful ship, but sadly by revolutionising the ship, our only option for sun bathing was by the pool & this is a no no for 2,  70+ cruisers. The top sunbathing deck has been given over to suite passengers only. Doubt we'll use the Celebrity ships again.

• Haha 1

Hi - joining the Solstice in a few weeks (almost identical itinerary to you) and I have a couple of questions if you have the time?

1. Is there tonic on board for a G&T? Not sure if Fevertree has reached Celebrity yet (I can but dream 😊) but Schweppes would do! I think last year on the Connie club soda was used when a G&T was ordered.

2. What was the weather like in San Francisco and Santa Barbara? Do I need to pack a different wardrobe for these ports?? Coming from Scotland, so I have plenty of cold/wet weather clothes but not sure if I need to bring them??

3. Is Blu busy? Are you always seated straight away or is there a wait at certain times?

Many thanks 😊 

1 hour ago, JintyGirl said:

Hi - joining the Solstice in a few weeks (almost identical itinerary to you) and I have a couple of questions if you have the time?

1. Is there tonic on board for a G&T? Not sure if Fevertree has reached Celebrity yet (I can but dream 😊) but Schweppes would do! I think last year on the Connie club soda was used when a G&T was ordered.

2. What was the weather like in San Francisco and Santa Barbara? Do I need to pack a different wardrobe for these ports?? Coming from Scotland, so I have plenty of cold/wet weather clothes but not sure if I need to bring them??

3. Is Blu busy? Are you always seated straight away or is there a wait at certain times?

Many thanks 😊 

Are you really asking about the weather in SF (notoriously variable) TWO WEEKS ahead of time??  😩

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, soulstar said:

We were on the revolutionised Silhouette. She is a beautiful ship, but sadly by revolutionising the ship, our only option for sun bathing was by the pool & this is a no no for 2,  70+ cruisers. The top sunbathing deck has been given over to suite passengers only. Doubt we'll use the Celebrity ships again.

There are loungers surrounding the jogging track on deck 14 that can be used for sun bathing.   Granted depending on the sun's location relative to the ship, there are a lot of shaded areas but there still seem to be quite a few options other than the pool.   

9 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

There are loungers surrounding the jogging track on deck 14 that can be used for sun bathing.   Granted depending on the sun's location relative to the ship, there are a lot of shaded areas but there still seem to be quite a few options other than the pool.   

There’s also loungers on 12, in front of the fitness centre. 

Wondering about the outdoor pools on Solstice ---

How deep are they?

Does anyone (adults!) bring swim noodles

Are they heated to a swimmable/workoutable temperature, or to a relax-in-the-water temperature?

Asking because I like to workout in the pool!

Will be on board April 22, for the same route as you're currently on!  Looking forward to Santa Barbara, and SFO!  Well, Catalina Island, too!

Edited by greenbeanie

Trying to answer the questions in one post!

The Cruise Director is Patrick. What a lovely guy and up there, in my opinion, with Sue Denning. 
Amazing Abba event last night with him in charge.

He walks around chatting to everyone and a real ambassador.

Theres plenty of tonic on board and all soft drinks are in cans.

Not sure about the pools but I’m sure there’ll be plenty of people who’ll give you advice but there are lots of kids in them (and the how tubs, 👿)

World Class bar we haven’t been to yet.

Take a coat for SF and pack as if it were June in Scotland! Four seasons in one day.

We’d come again in Aqua just for Blu!

• Thanks 2

Hi JintyGirl-  Santa Barbara & San Franciso are always breezy enough to wear long pants and a sweatshirt/jacket.  The sun may be out, but there is usually a wind, especially in San Franciso!

Our California weather has been so weird for the last few months, that you never know what to expect!

Enjoy your visits to these ports!

Kathy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, soulstar said:

Had no idea the top deck was now for Suite passengers only. Little by little Celebrity has managed to send the message "if you're not booked in a suite, you're a second class passenger"!!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, JintyGirl said:

Many thanks 😊 

The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco,” - Said Mark Twain?

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Loracpin2 said:

Had no idea the top deck was now for Suite passengers only. Little by little Celebrity has managed to send the message "if you're not booked in a suite, you're a second class passenger"!!

I couldn’t disagree more. We’ve done all classes and cabins and on this trip we’re lucky to have been upgraded to Aqua.

Regardless of the type of access card you are carrying, whether it be blue, gold or silver the crew treat everyone the same.

We’re dining in Murano tonight. If someone comes in and expects it for free then I’d expect them to be asked to leave. Same with the retreat.

I’m not getting into the politics of a commercial organisation but am happy to answer questions as I know how exciting the run up to a cruise can be!

• Like 2

15 hours ago, soulstar said:

Not true and not true no matter how many and your age. The deck above the pool deck (14) is a better place to catch the rays than the pool deck. Open to all and lots of loungers. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, davekathy said:

Not true and not true no matter how many and your age. The deck above the pool deck (14) is a better place to catch the rays than the pool deck. Open to all and lots of loungers. 

Yes, I agree, deck 14 just above the pool area has lots of sun loungers. But it is a busy deck, mast bar & grill, & the busy jogging track. Plus, you can clearly hear the entertainment from the pool area. 

The former Solstice deck on level 16 was spacious, comfortable & quiet. That area on 2 levels, is now the Retreat, for suite passengers only.

We were on the Silhouette last September, our 6th. Celebrity cruise & I had a sneaky peak at the Retreat.  It is very luxurious, but there were many empty loungers, whilst we struggled to find any available on deck 14.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Loracpin2 said:

Would absolutely agree with your comment Loracpin2.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, soulstar said:

Yes, I agree, deck 14 just above the pool area has lots of sun loungers. But it is a busy deck, mast bar & grill, & the busy jogging track. Plus, you can clearly hear the entertainment from the pool area. 

The former Solstice deck on level 16 was spacious, comfortable & quiet. That area on 2 levels, is now the Retreat, for suite passengers only.

We were on the Silhouette last September, our 6th. Celebrity cruise & I had a sneaky peak at the Retreat.  It is very luxurious, but there were many empty loungers, whilst we struggled to find any available on deck 14.

And there are less congested areas on deck 14 with lots of loungers. Just depends if you want to be where the action is (deck 12 and 14) or away from the action. I'm not in favor of Celebrity's decision to make the Retreat deck what it is, but it is what it is.  I spent one sea day afternoon on the Retreat deck (not in a suite) on the Summit. Underutilized and very windy. Just like it was before Celebrity made it the Retreat deck. 

On 4/2/2023 at 3:20 PM, SSFrance69 said:

Let us know how the food in Blu is and if you try anything you particularly enjoy. Sailing Aqua for the first time in July, so I'm keen to know what it's like. Enjoy!

We’ve enjoyed every meal in there. It wasn’t our initial choice as we thought it would be grass smoothies, salads and boring healthy stuff but we couldn’t have been more wrong. 
Our wine is topped up regularly and there’s a bread basket to die for.

Its worth it even if you don’t use the Persian Garden.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, swjumbo said:

We’ve enjoyed every meal in there. It wasn’t our initial choice as we thought it would be grass smoothies, salads and boring healthy stuff but we couldn’t have been more wrong. 
Our wine is topped up regularly and there’s a bread basket to die for.

Its worth it even if you don’t use the Persian Garden.

This echoes our 1st experience of Blu last year - the food was great and the wine service was fantastic. Never had an empty glass 😄 

8 hours ago, soulstar said:

This is only on Revolutionized ships.  A few of the Solstice class ships have not been revolutionized yet so if you sail on them, the Solstice deck is still open to all passengers.  The Reflection is one I remember not being revolutionized thus far. 

8 hours ago, soulstar said:

I agree that it is very under utilized especially when the ship is at sea.  We normally take a look and more times than not we find it too windy when the ship is at sea.   We do enjoy sitting up there, especially for lunch, when the ship is in port and we are onboard.  We are normally in a Sky Suite and the Revolution have made these suites totally unusuable for in room dining.  The tables they now have in the stateroom and on the balcony are simply too small to hold a lunch service for two people.