Dogs onboard???

3 hours ago, annapolitan369 said:

I've heard that a comfort pig or horse is allowed, as long as it shares the bed with you.

Yes indeed -- she is house broken too.

And yes we have a house broke pig named Kosher...

image veron.png

Edited by PaulMCO

On 4/4/2023 at 12:52 PM, irishwitchy said:

Dogs, kids, jeans - some of you really to let go a bit.  Just saying.  Tolerance is a good word, since you may not know really know.  

If you need to wear jeans all the time, maybe Regent isn’t the cruise line for you.

if you need emotional support from an animal, maybe cruising is not for you.

I have no problem with kids.

I know…I know, you don’t have to say it, I don’t know why someone needs emotional support from an animal, just like you don’t know about my allergies to animal fur.

Edited by papaflamingo
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I - unfortunately - saw a male couple  with a service dog years ago both on SS as on SB

They were causing a lot of nuissance because it was not a "clean" dog and growling 

They also brought the dog into the restaurants and gave him food with the fork 

On SS I left the dining room on one evening  and called for room service because they were sitting close to my table.

• 1 year later...
Posted (edited)

PLEASE be considerate of those among us who have legitimate need for a Service Dog!

I have worked with many who need a seizure or diabetes (alerting on low or high blood sugar) both of which are 'hidden disabilities'.

From my observation, it's pretty easy to see a 'fake' service animal.

Observe the actions of handler and dog alike - if they are both quiet and reserved...please just let them alone.

I dearly love my service dog, but would rather NOT be with him 24x7 and all the extra tasks. Feeding, grooming, relieving himself.

Consider that a service animal - for those who need one - is an extra burden for the person requiring assistance.

But...don't be shy!  If you observe BAD BEHAVIOR of dog and handler alike, BOTH need additional training to be and stay good citizens.

No shame to approach these miscreants, just be kind and respectful in your interactions, and if the courtesy is returned they have passed your test'.

Can you pet my service dog?  Yes!

He WILL NEVER be distracted from his one job..that is keeping me safe.  And he will enjoy the affirmation of a well-deserved GOOD BOY from me and others who understand.

Without MY service dog I would not be here, and I am blessed to enjoy a 'normal' life with him...just like you.

My single burden is the knowledge that I will outlive my dog, and I will be tasked to find a replacement.   Something I think about every day.

Last...if you know of anyone who would benefit from this life's companion, PLEASE recommend they research those who make it their life's work to make these wonderful animals available to them.

Frequently without or with minimal charge.

What greater kindness can we show to our fellow man with these often hidden disabilities?

Edited by DaveHogan
Clarification
  • Like 8

We're doing the 2027 World Cruise, and we're chatting with the Cruise Consultant in July about what we'll find the be the toughest part, which is leaving our dog for five months. I asked if we could (theoretically) bring here, even if we invited Shania to bunk with us, and were told that there aren't specific rules against it, rather, it'd be the quarantining regulations of the many countries we'd visit that would make things difficult to impossible. Just FYI, not opening a debate about taking a dog, which we wouldn't do.

I have definitely seen a non-service lap dog on the Navigator about 10 years ago. It was a white top-type lap dog. It was not a service dog and did not even have one of the fake "Comfort" dog vests on. The solo lady who had it, took it everywhere. She feed the dog from her plate in her lap at dinner the first two night. After numerous complaints, she did not appear in the Compass Rose the rest of the trip. I was told that port authorities would not let her take it off the ship at port stops. 

I grew up next door to a blind WW II vet who had multiple service dogs over his life and understand their value and purpose. However, the number of people taking their non-service pets into stores and restaurants is ridiculous. It is not a matter of me being accommodating to them as much as them imposing their desires on others. I leave my obnoxious bother in law it home, you can leave your pet.

• Like 2

I think both ways are wrong.

Taking your dog for 5 months on a ship or leaving your dog for 5 months in a shelter. Or it must be 5 months with family or friends so the dog has a good normal live for 5 months.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 4/4/2023 at 9:08 AM, Gpilon said:

Ms. Twain sang one night in the Splendor Lounge with the CD, David Nevin so perhaps a little way of paying her back for a few songs.

I read this too fast and thought you were saying that David Nevin is a cross-dresser!

On 4/5/2023 at 3:57 PM, travlr21 said:

Probably something to that. Captain Kate, who is with Celebrity Cruises, sails with her cat Bug Naked. The cat has quite the following on Instagram. 

"Bug Naked" is the best name I've heard for a cat since "Linda Blair."

1 hour ago, Henk123 said:

Taking your dog for 5 months on a ship or leaving your dog for 5 months in a shelter. Or it must be 5 months with family or friends so the dog has a good normal live for 5 months.

I'd never leave my dog in a shelter (or even a kennel). She goes to the dog sitter, who has a dog, and the two dogs play all day every day. i think she likes it better there than at home!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

Her dog pooped and peed all over the place - that was a bad decision.

Some folks might object to me enjoying a good cigar onboard...but I only poop, pee, and smoke in designated/authorized areas!  😉

• Haha 1

On 8/18/2024 at 12:08 PM, DaveHogan said:

Can you pet my service dog?  Yes!

He WILL NEVER be distracted from his one job..that is keeping me safe.  And he will enjoy the affirmation of a well-deserved GOOD BOY from me and others who understand.

Without MY service dog I would not be here, and I am blessed to enjoy a 'normal' life with him...just like you.

My single burden is the knowledge that I will outlive my dog, and I will be tasked to find a replacement.   Something I think about every day.....

Good evening Dave, 

There are a couple of points I would like to ask about in your recent post (please see above for excerpt)...

You mentioned petting your service dog is okay with you but in my previous experiences / interactions with people who needed service dogs for a variety of reasons, it was my understanding one should never disturb a dog at work.  As a teacher / bus driver, when a group of students I am transporting encounters a working dog, I will try to make the point to the class to leave the dog along and let him/her work hoping when the students later encounter dogs similarly at work later on, they will remember that lesson and observe/enjoy the dog from a distance.  I've seen a fair variety of service dogs over the years - including the many seen at work in the airport sniffing out various items/substances (definitely off limits for petting), leader assist dogs (for the blind), medical dogs (trained to detect blood sugar imbalances proactively) and balance assist dogs (usually larger dogs).  I guess my question is I am surprised (happily) to your position / reaction about others petting your service dog.  Can you explain a bit further?

And I do not know if I can phrase what my dogs mean to me any better than you did when you defined your single burden.  Our current pair of labs are now over 10 years old and while I know what is inevitable, I know the heartache that I will one day have to deal with (twice).  It tears at me.  

At any rate, thanks for being one of the good dog companions!  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, TWG_ag said:

I have definitely seen a non-service lap dog on the Navigator about 10 years ago.....

I grew up next door to a blind WW II vet who had multiple service dogs over his life and understand their value and purpose. However, the number of people taking their non-service pets into stores and restaurants is ridiculous. It is not a matter of me being accommodating to them as much as them imposing their desires on others. I leave my obnoxious bother in law it home, you can leave your pet.

I have to ask about the bolded part above! 😉

Edited by bbodb1

On 4/4/2023 at 10:41 AM, Gilly said:

On a Lufthansa flight from Trieste to Frankfurt towards the end of last year, I was sure I could hear a miaow now and again.  Sure enough, as we got off the plane, a woman a row or two in front of us in business was carrying a cat, quite openly.  There's a first time for everything!   (And I'm glad I wasn't seated next to her!)

I have flown with my dogs many times...we used to live in NY and owned a home here in Switzerland where we spent all the free time we could find.  One dog went in the hold.  The other in the cabin with me.   Often we were on the same plane in December as Bill Buckley.  He had two dogs in the plane with him...always.

Flying with a small dog for a fairly short time In an approved carrier poses far fewer problems than having such a dog on a ship for a longer period. If you take your dog on a Cunard crossing (allowed), you’ll find that it is locked in a kennel most of the time. No fun for the human — and especially the dog. Also, I train my dogs to go outside and “do their business”. On a cruise ship, there is no outside.

1 hour ago, Dolebludger said:

Flying with a small dog for a fairly short time In an approved carrier poses far fewer problems than having such a dog on a ship for a longer period. If you take your dog on a Cunard crossing (allowed), you’ll find that it is locked in a kennel most of the time. No fun for the human — and especially the dog. Also, I train my dogs to go outside and “do their business”. On a cruise ship, there is no outside.

Regent puts down a section of astro turf in an interior staff stairwell for the dogs to use.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, Pcardad said:

Regent puts down a section of astro turf in an interior staff stairwell for the dogs to use.

Royal Caribbean puts one on the outdoor deck in an obscure place where few people go.  Not sure having a "doggy bathroom" in a work stairwell is all that "nice" for the staff to be around. 😱

Edited by papaflamingo
  • Like 1