Choice for Alaska Cruise...Royal Caribbean(Quantum), Norwegian (Encore), Princess (Royal)

Booking a somewhat last minute Alaska Cruise for the last week of June. The week in non-negotiable. We are  2 couples who have both cruised but not together. DH and I have been loyal to Royal Caribbean (10 or more) with one Carnival aberration  (we did not enjoy) and one NCL (which was ok). We know how Royal works and love the Pub with live guitar player every night. We are looking to go in and out of Seattle with a day or 2 on the front or back to see Seattle. Any strong opinions on which ship? The itinerary's are similar with the Quantum just not doing Glacier Bay where the other 2 do. Also each ship is only offering balcony cabins that are run of the house (they pick it for you), probably due to it being so close to sailing. So we will most likely end up with an obstructed view no matter which ship we choose. Price wise they are all in the same range. Also open to another recommendation for a 7 day R/T Seattle. Thank you all, after years of stalking I know I will get some good advice.

My humble opinion is that Alaska is all about the ports and Glacier Bay is a must-see.  I would include this port in my choice. Perhaps you tube videos could help you choose from the remaining 2 ships?  

• Like 2

For that itinerary, I would choose Encore. The observation lounge is wonderful!.  The panoramic view, great seating, snacks and a bar make for a very enjoyable experience.  We spent way more time there than on our balcony.  Can't beat it for cruising glacier bay.

Agree Glacier Bay is a must. I’ve been to Alaska three times and it is the best part of the trip. Have been on both Quantum and Encore for different venues and agree with others that the Encore would be my choice for this voyage. It’s panoramic view is perfect for what you will be seeing. Don’t know what your other NCL ship was, but this class of ship is really nice. 
If you are spending a few days in Seattle, make sure to check out the West Coast departure boards. Lots of good advice there.

Ovation sails the same routes as Quantum, plenty of pick your own cabin on most June sail dates.  We sailed Ovation Alaska back in Sep. Sailed Quantum a week later. No Glacier Bay but Ovation was a much better sailing than Quantum. 

Edited by taglovestocruise
  • Like 1

We have done Alaska with Celebrity (cruise only) and Princess (land tour).  Still love Celebrity overall but felt we really "saw" Alaska with Glacier Bay and the 3 days pre-cruise land.  The best excursion we ever had which we booked by ourselves for a better price is the one with the Deadliest Catch guys.  You can buy it through the cruise line but save a few $$ doing it yourself.  I think it is in Ketchikan.  We also booked a private whale watching tour in Juneau.  

Celebrity's food/service is still better, in my opinion, but I consider Alaska for the destination is better served by Princess.  

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/8/2023 at 2:16 PM, taglovestocruise said:

Ovation sails the same routes as Quantum, plenty of pick your own cabin on most June sail dates.  We sailed Ovation Alaska back in Sep. Sailed Quantum a week later. No Glacier Bay but Ovation was a much better sailing than Quantum. 

Why was Ovation better than Quantum?

30 minutes ago, KmomChicago said:

Why was Ovation better than Quantum?

Crew was much friendlier, especially in the MDR. Food was a solid 5/5 on Ovation, Windjammer and the Dog house were well above average. Quantum had the absolute worst food of any Royal sailing we have ever been on. Both ships had excellent specialty dining. It has been six moths so the negative details are a little foggy. We have sailed mostly Oasis Class over the last five years or so, Quantum Class is a once and done for us, I count the 17 nights sailing over three weeks as one cruise on two ships.  Quantum class just feels small, narrow and confining. The Esplanade and the Via are underwhelming at best, MDR is a single story blah.  Vintages on both ships is a winner on location and comfortability.   

• Like 1

1 minute ago, taglovestocruise said:

Crew was much friendlier, especially in the MDR. Food was a solid 5/5 on Ovation, Windjammer and the Dog house were well above average. Quantum had the absolute worst food of any Royal sailing we have ever been on. Both ships had excellent specialty dining. It has been six moths so the negative details are a little foggy. We have sailed mostly Oasis Class over the last five years or so, Quantum Class is a once and done for us, I count the 17 nights sailing over three weeks as one cruise on two ships.  Quantum class just feels small, narrow and confining. The Esplanade and the Via are underwhelming at best, MDR is a single story blah.  Vintages on both ships is a winner on location and comfortability.   

Thank you for this. We have sailed Oasis once and loved it, Adventure once and liked the experience but the ship itself underwhelmed us a little though there was nothing wrong with it - just no wow factor. On both, WJ was very, very good and MDR did not work for us.  Sailing Ovation next year; we have been kinda wanting to try this class, and really we are the "bad day on a cruise ship is better than a good day at work" people so it should be fine for us even if the layout doesn't compare to Oasis class. . . of course Icon looks mind blowing but way out of the budget being the new shiny object.

Appreciate the perspective.

Thank you to everyone for your input. We ended up booking on the Royal Princess (even though have mostly been loyal to RC in the past). The big deciding factor was Glacier Bay as part of the itinerary. 

To answer RB9643, due to our schedules we always need to plan trips within about 90 days (sometimes 30!) and it always works out. If we try to plan further out something always happen and we end up cancelling or one time DH had to return home half way through a cruise. I know its not everyones style but again it works for us.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, hernonmom4 said:

Thank you to everyone for your input. We ended up booking on the Royal Princess (even though have mostly been loyal to RC in the past). The big deciding factor was Glacier Bay as part of the itinerary. 

Excellent choice.  Princess does Alaska the best.

12 hours ago, hernonmom4 said:

To answer RB9643, due to our schedules we always need to plan trips within about 90 days (sometimes 30!) and it always works out. 

Good call with Princess when it comes to Alaska. I hope you get a good cabin. Let us know.

We've booked quick cruises as well, but not in peak season for a record year in Alaska. That's just bold, and a little out of our comfort zone. Can't wait to hear more.

Edited by RB9643

On 4/25/2023 at 5:29 PM, KmomChicago said:

Thank you for this. We have sailed Oasis once and loved it, Adventure once and liked the experience but the ship itself underwhelmed us a little though there was nothing wrong with it - just no wow factor. On both, WJ was very, very good and MDR did not work for us.  Sailing Ovation next year; we have been kinda wanting to try this class, and really we are the "bad day on a cruise ship is better than a good day at work" people so it should be fine for us even if the layout doesn't compare to Oasis class. . . of course Icon looks mind blowing but way out of the budget being the new shiny object.

Appreciate the perspective.

You might really enjoy the Quantum class more than the Oasis Class.  My DH loves the Quantum class more than Oasis.

13 hours ago, hernonmom4 said:

I think you made a great choice.  Regarding those 3 ships, RCI Quantum Class is my favorite.  However, Princess is a great cruise line and Glacier Bay is amazing.  Enjoy your cruise.  🙂

• Thanks 1