Cruising to Mexico

whittenk74

With the cartels getting more and more violent close to tourist areas, I was wondering if anyone else is leary of going to those ports of call?  I am booked on a cruise in September, and at this point, my husband and I don't think we're going to get off of the ship in either port (Cozumel & Progresso).  We've been to both ports before, but this year seems different.  

Anyone else getting weird feelings about going to Mexican Ports?  I would love to hear your thoughts.

I wouldn’t think twice about getting off in Cozumel. It’s an island, not a big cartel area. Progresso is in the Yucatán which the state department doesn’t have any alerts for. I wouldn’t worry about either of those ports

1B40DFFC-FC4C-43FA-B379-ED5A8CDE3F0A.png

I wouldn’t be concerned with either one. As mentioned above, Cozumel is in Quintana Roo which is currently under a level 2 travel advisory (common for international travel and considered safe). Progreso is in Yucatán which is currently under the lowest level 1 travel advisory (probably safer to go to Progreso than to travel to most places across the USA). 

Neither one of these two destination has any travel restrictions so normal precautions should be sufficient. To put things into perspective, places like Jamaica, Honduras and Trinidad and Tobago are under a level 3 travel advisory (reconsider travel), yet the cruise lines continue sailing to those destinations and passengers continue flocking to them without worrying too much.

We did the Mexican Riviera a few months ago. Before sailing, we read the travel advisories, planned our activities to stay within safe areas, and had a very enjoyable and safe cruise. We traveled to Puerto Vallarta, Cabo San Lucas and Ensenada. 

Its understandable that you may be concerned about safety after watching or reading some of the news (specially from media outlets that sensationalize the stories further). The best you can do no matter where you travel internationally is to stay informed, be alert, know where you are going, and don’t make yourself a target. That applies even if you’re traveling within the US. 

On 4/5/2023 at 6:37 PM, whittenk74 said:

With the cartels getting more and more violent close to tourist areas, I was wondering if anyone else is leary of going to those ports of call?  I am booked on a cruise in September, and at this point, my husband and I don't think we're going to get off of the ship in either port (Cozumel & Progresso).  We've been to both ports before, but this year seems different.  

Anyone else getting weird feelings about going to Mexican Ports?  I would love to hear your thoughts.

I'm going to those same ports on my cruise that starts tomorrow!  I'm not worried about them.

Hearing reports of "cartel violence in Mexico" and avoiding ports on the ship's itinerary is like hearing about mass shootings in the USA and avoiding embarkation ports and not cruising because of those incidents.

IMO, senseless.  Use situational awareness in any port city -  in Mexico, in the USA and worldwide !!

• Like 2

On 4/5/2023 at 3:37 PM, whittenk74 said:

If you have been to those ports, why not just stay on the ship while in Mexico?  You will have the pool to yourselves, the eating areas will be very much empty.  It will be total relaxation.  We have a Panama canal cruise in Jan, 2024 planned.  We don't plan to get off the ship in any of the Mexican ports.  Always trust your gut feeling. Something is telling you the right thing to do. ( how often has your gut feeling been wrong?)

If you are concerned, book a ship excursion as a precaution.

In Cozumel, we would always go to Nachi Cocum, about a 20 minute taxi ride from the port. It's a day resort, minus the bells and whistles for kids, so it's pretty quiet. Set price gives you pretty much all you can eat/drink for the day. a lovely beach, a pool and hot tub, attentive staff, plus add-ons for a fee  like a massage, jet ski rides, parasailing. It is our go to place in Cozumel and we have never had a single issue, except sunburn! 

We have been to Cozumel at least 13 times and have never felt threatened in any way.  Today's news is sensationalism.  They do their best to keep you frightened and worried.  I feel safer in Caribbean ports than I would in El Paso.

Edited by clackey