New CEO of Celebrity Interesting but happy they stay within for promotions.

bikerunner

Just noticed this thread--- Way over my interest level who the CEO, the COO of the cruise line , the Cruse Director or who the Captain is on our cruise.

Give us a fair price, clean ship, good service, good food-- and no more IV for us ( once and done ).

As for activities or entertainment--- whatever is offered is fine ( meaning no big deal ) --- either participate or not.

Mind you, that Silent Disco could be pretty dangerous -- Ya shoulda seen --- There was this 32 yr old--- Boy, could she move-- and the " old fart " she was with -- the poor guy etc, etc.

LOL--- Come to think of it , on our last two cruises ( Equinox in Feb - and Edge in March ) they didn't have a golf putting contest--- Perhaps it was because a former Putting Champion ( 2013 ) was on board ???

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Honolulu Blue said:

I'll make a short interruption to say I've been on several music charter cruises that had a lot of live music in a lot of different places. I think someone should do a proper comparison between those and your experience on the Rotterdam.

P.S. My one and only HAL cruise was on the Rotterdam VI.

Have not been on a musical themed cruise.  Will do some checking.  Granted the bands on Rotterdam were not 'named' bands, they were very good and for when they might not have been as good, the drinks helped.   I think I do remember someone mention that the pricing was higher on those charters.

anybody receive the X e mail just now where its changing hte contract effective immediately, and has the  time and inclination to look  at it.

So now we know that when we pay and sign the contract, they are able to ignore that contract if it does not suit them. and I bet thefood issue, new charges etc are covered in thenew contract.

Edited by Mickey S
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Mickey S said:

anybody receive the X e mail just now where its changing hte contract effective immediately, and has the  time and inclination to look  at it.

So now we know that when we pay and sign the contract, they are able to ignore that contract if it does not suit them. and I bet thefood issue, new charges etc are covered in thenew contract.

that's probably part of the contract that we agreed to.  🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

that's probably part of the contract that we agreed to.  🤷‍♂️

have to read it soon, but there are changes  and its probably where they had a recent problem.

eg, one of the terms of hte existing contract is they can do an oil surcharge at their discretion.

So now, after you sign a contract with them and cabin service changes and food fees (upcharge for lonster rtc) might need to be spelled out thatthey can cheange the rules any thing and you cannot say tha X changed the deal.

Not that it easy to fight city hall. They are pretty tone deaf there. They wear you down. How much time  does anybody want to spend on this stuff. Where the cost of your vacation goes up and it does appear that gone are the days where it goes down and it gets adjusted.

48 minutes ago, Mickey S said:

have to read it soon, but there are changes  and its probably where they had a recent problem.

eg, one of the terms of hte existing contract is they can do an oil surcharge at their discretion.

So now, after you sign a contract with them and cabin service changes and food fees (upcharge for lonster rtc) might need to be spelled out thatthey can cheange the rules any thing and you cannot say tha X changed the deal.

Not that it easy to fight city hall. They are pretty tone deaf there. They wear you down. How much time  does anybody want to spend on this stuff. Where the cost of your vacation goes up and it does appear that gone are the days where it goes down and it gets adjusted.

They might get away with some small changes, but would think they could face some lasting negative responses if the changes are major reasons people have booked the cruise.

We have had port changes on Infinity in 2009 that deleted 3 ports of call in Mexico due to H1N1.  About 2 days out on our Western Panama canal this happened.  We got instead, San Diego arriving at 3 pm leaving at 9 pm, Ensenada for a day and arriving a day early in San Franciso at 2 pm with disembarkation the next morning.

If the change seems to be reasonable, they will get some slack.  If it is perceived that the change is to enhance their bottomline, I think it might cost  anything they might think they are saving.  There is competition.

We have already over the last 10 years, chose a land based vacation  or two over a cruise.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, shipshape sam said:

They might get away with some small changes, but would think they could face some lasting negative responses if the changes are major reasons people have booked the cruise.

We have had port changes on Infinity in 2009 that deleted 3 ports of call in Mexico due to H1N1.  About 2 days out on our Western Panama canal this happened.  We got instead, San Diego arriving at 3 pm leaving at 9 pm, Ensenada for a day and arriving a day early in San Franciso at 2 pm with disembarkation the next morning.

If the change seems to be reasonable, they will get some slack.  If it is perceived that the change is to enhance their bottomline, I think it might cost  anything they might think they are saving.  There is competition.

We have already over the last 10 years, chose a land based vacation  or two over a cruise.

we too are venturing back to land based. It's funny in that when we had 8 hours in port it was not enough and now we will have 3-5 days in a town city, area and thats not enough.

I guess its never enough. But its nice to not be on the clock in so far as the gangway being pulled up 30 minutes before departure. No so nice in that it is a spot of a challenge to visit 8 places in 5 weeks --the trains are not bad but catching the 45-75 minute flights is a pain that goes with the territory. Never let the "pain" exceed the "gain".

• Like 1

On 4/10/2023 at 7:06 PM, Bo1953 said:

Yeah, the poster is, then again the next thoughts about the staff which might be more representative is not far behind, IME of such statements, then again...

bon voyage

Yes I was serious that opinions on X being more for women than men.I had few interesting chats with other passengers last year who wondered if young male grads from maritime schools would apply to Celebrity. Did not think my comment was wrong or nasty either.

• Like 1

On 4/10/2023 at 5:52 PM, Oceansaway17 said:

Well with Lisa moving on perhaps men will once again feel welcomed as an officer.

I always thought she was way too pro-women just a bit 

I bet you still wish it was 1950 and women should be bear feet and Pregnant

🙄

• Like 1

Just now, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Please explain this for people who are not for the USA 🤔

It would take too long, and (should) be deleted. People have taken exception to a DEI decision of a Belgian company producing a beer like substance in the US...

2 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

I bet you still wish it was 1950 and women should be bear feet and Pregnant

🙄

No just felt that of all the cruise lines she made it a priority that some think went overboard and might make some guys look elsewhere for employment 

sometimes good efforts go too far.

It wad Laura Bush a year or so ago that said as a nation we are letting you boys down and not paying attention to them as much 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

Yes I was serious that opinions on X being more for women than men.I had few interesting chats with other passengers last year who wondered if young male grads from maritime schools would apply to Celebrity. Did not think my comment was wrong or nasty either.

Personally, your comment was not nasty or wrong in any sense, I took it in the way that it overlooked the history of ship captains and related crew...

When someone steps up to the plate to try and correct that history, then all heck breaks out as to who, now, has the opportunity to participate with the help of mentors and advocates.

While I have no statistics, yet I would be willing to say that there are many individuals who wish(ed) to captain or crew on many ships and were denied based on outmoded thoughts on who was worthy or had the 'experience' to.

Thank you regardless.

bon voyage

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bo1953 said:

Personally, your comment was not nasty or wrong in any sense, I took it in the way that it overlooked the history of ship captains and related crew...

When someone steps up to the plate to try and correct that history, then all heck breaks out as to who, now, has the opportunity to participate with the help of mentors and advocates.

While I have no statistics, yet I would be willing to say that there are many individuals who wish(ed) to captain or crew on many ships and were denied based on outmoded thoughts on who was worthy or had the 'experience' to.

Thank you regardless.

bon voyage

I just felt it was becoming perhaps a trend to where it went way too much pro women.

being fair and balanced can be exhausting and can lead to opinions.

I just have had some interesting chats and the men I talked to were opinionated on the subject. And they felt a certain captain lady was moving from ship to ship a bit fast.

I just want them to bring back the huge chairs on the lawn area like they had on Silhouette.

• Thanks 1

On 4/12/2023 at 9:17 AM, paulh84 said:

You have confused middle management tasks with a CEO. If I had a board seat and the CEO was concerned about butter and bingo, we would need to have a discussion about priorities. 

Aw but it’s the little things that count

10 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

Thank you regardless.

bon voyage

I'm not really sure that anyone can correct history.  You need to accept it for what is was, the good and the bad , and then move forward with the lessons you have learned.  Everyone should have the ability to participate equally in the future.  Mentors and advocates can certainly help but the playing field still needs to be level.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

No just felt that of all the cruise lines she made it a priority that some think went overboard and might make some guys look elsewhere for employment 

sometimes good efforts go too far.

It wad Laura Bush a year or so ago that said as a nation we are letting you boys down and not paying attention to them as much 

Don’t know who Laura Bush is or why would quote her ? 
are are scared of one woman captain? 
Could the same thing be said about Celebrity only having Greek captains , why would someone of another nationality want to stay at celebrity if they are not Greek , what chance don’t hey have of being a captain 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

I just felt it was becoming perhaps a trend to where it went way too much pro women.

being fair and balanced can be exhausting and can lead to opinions.

I just have had some interesting chats and the men I talked to were opinionated on the subject. And they felt a certain captain lady was moving from ship to ship a bit fast.

I just want them to bring back the huge chairs on the lawn area like they had on Silhouette.

Okay, I do get it for sure.

I can only indicate that were I either included or overheard such chats from 'those' men, were they the ones who were being overlooked for such assignments?

Maybe that "... certain captain lady..." is getting so much attention and support and experience which, again, has been denied so many before her and others who have yet to catch up.

Then again, if all I wanted was the 'huge chairs' it would be all over my survey and brought to the attention of the the hotel director. 

I do understand you are just relating a conversation with a few disgruntled 'men' concerning opportunities aboard X.

While I do not know, but now wonder how many other cruise lines are opening up the ranks beyond the traditional 'groups' afforded opportunities on their ships and what the passengers think of them???

Thank you again and bon voyage

2 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Don’t know who Laura Bush is or why would quote her ? 
are are scared of one woman captain? 
Could the same thing be said about Celebrity only having Greek captains , why would someone of another nationality want to stay at celebrity if they are not Greek , what chance don’t hey have of being a captain 

She is the wife of former President Bush.

Really you do not remember her?

hmmm did not realize X had so many Greek captains. I have no issue though.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

I'm not really sure that anyone can correct history.  You need to accept it for what is was, the good and the bad , and then move forward with the lessons you have learned.  Everyone should have the ability to participate equally in the future.  Mentors and advocates can certainly help but the playing field still needs to be level.

iptp - do you really mean "level" or 'leveled'???

bon voyage

2 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

Okay, I do get it for sure.

I can only indicate that were I either included or overheard such chats from 'those' men, were they the ones who were being overlooked for such assignments?

Maybe that "... certain captain lady..." is getting so much attention and support and experience which, again, has been denied so many before her and others who have yet to catch up.

Then again, if all I wanted was the 'huge chairs' it would be all over my survey and brought to the attention of the the hotel director. 

I do understand you are just relating a conversation with a few disgruntled 'men' concerning opportunities aboard X.

While I do not know, but now wonder how many other cruise lines are opening up the ranks beyond the traditional 'groups' afforded opportunities on their ships and what the passengers think of them???

Thank you again and bon voyage

No the men were passengers not any crew.

I think all cruise lines should have diverse crew and officers. 
I also felt like IMHO that Lisa might have been giving a slight dig to RCI in her quest to have more female navigational officers.

I did mention chairs on survey but not sure they cared.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

Yea history is that in the past.

And for many years women stayed home with children. Historically I do not think sea captain job was that desirable for women.

And I am glad to see more on the bridge.

But now it is time to remember skill and education first.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

Yea history is that in the past.

And for many years women stayed home with children. Historically I do not think sea captain job was that desirable for women.

And I am glad to see more on the bridge.

But now it is time to remember skill and education first.

I believe you're coming from a place of good intention here, but a little curious like others on here about your concern of making sure 'skill and education' come first...

According to Celebrity, 32% of their bridge officers are women, so still less than half. Do you think the male bridge officers are that concerned for fit and professional growth, when they still make up 2/3rds of all positions?

Further, even if men do feel stymied or uncomfortable with the gender makeup at Celebrity, isn't it true that they could pursue a career with...literally any other seafaring company?

Was there any moment you felt a particular sense of risk or danger on a Celebrity cruise? The line's track-record of navigational incidents seems as good or better than most others, so it appears they are keeping the skill and educational levels high, and not just hiring any lady who submits an application.

The reason you may not think of bridge positions as being a role that women are suited for could be because they were shut out of having those occupations and careers in the first place. I'm not sure of any innate biological advantages a man would have over a woman who met the same standards of teaching and experience hours required for the job at hand on a computer-controlled ship.

Progress and equality can be pretty cool when it's a net benefit for society and people's lives. If it's a deal-breaker, I'm sure the other lines are more than happy to have you on board.

Edited by kguerriero
  • Thanks 4