Ballroom dancing in the evenings

jackcatho

sorry, but lots and lots of things have changed in the last 17 years. i concur with meheartcruising.

in 24 sailings with ncl, since 2010, i have yet to see "ballroom" dancing on any of their ships.

of course there is a dance floor in spinnaker lounge, i believe in the mdr of another of their ships (the actual one escapes me at the moment), but if youre looking for a dance floor for dancing comparable to that of "dancing with the stars" im afraid you'll be disappointed .

so in the alternaive get out there and boogie your tushie off either on the pool level, or at spinnaker

I know I have been sailing on NCL for 10+ years and don't recall any ballroom type dancing.  Doesn't mean it never happened.  I just wasn't around when it was.  

That said, I have been known to hit up just about every place on the ships where dancing was happening.  Plenty of that. The show BURN THE FLOOR has something that may qualify, but that's the only show I'm aware of.

Syd Norman's Prom Night show invites guests to come up to dance at the end of the performance, but that's more my gen's so called dancing (think of those slick moonwalk moves, or throwing your fist up in the air).

Come to think of it, I've sailed HAL and Celebrity, and never saw anything like ballroom dancing.  Same with Royal.

Trying to think of where you might sail that would have something like that.  Azamara?  Cunard?  Not sure!

Also if you can take a look at some of the past NCL dailies of the ship you are considering, there is a little box in the lower right corner of one of the pages that lists the live music for the day.

Screenshot_20230409_073033_Drive.jpg

Edited by zzdoug

19 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Off topic but relevant because of article in the Washington Post.  Graphicguy, as you are location says from sw Ohio. Make sure to stay home this time next year as you should be in the path of totality for a solar eclipse. We saw our first total solar eclipse on our and NCL's Sky's first cruise while south of England. One of the cool things about being on the Sky was that NCL had chartered a helicopter, so when the pilot found a break in the clouds, the captain of the ship maneuvered the ship so that we were able to enjoy totality. We  missed the approach of the moon as there were clouds. But totality, the sky was clear and dark.

We've already let my BIL know we have dibs on his home near Dayton for the event.

A total solar eclipse will sweep over U.S. in one year: April 8, 2024 - The Washington Post 

Edited by GALSews
Added explanation
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, GALSews said:

Off topic but relevant because of article in the Washington Post.  Graphicguy, as you are location says from sw Ohio. Make sure to stay home this time next year as you should be in the path of totality for a solar eclipse. We saw our first total solar eclipse on our and NCL's Sky's first cruise while south of England. One of the cool things about being on the Sky was that NCL had chartered a helicopter, so when the pilot found a break in the clouds, the captain of the ship maneuvered the ship so that we were able to enjoy totality. We  missed the approach of the moon as there were clouds. But totality, the sky was clear and dark.

We've already let my BIL know we have dibs on his home near Dayton for the event.

A total solar eclipse will sweep over U.S. in one year: April 8, 2024 - The Washington Post 

Thank you.  Saw that yesterday in the local news.  Already put it in my calendar.

• Like 1

We danced on NCL for years.   Our favorite was when Emily and Arvin would perform on the Spirit.  There was a postage stamp sized dance floor, but everyone just got up and danced wherever they could find a few square feet to maneuver in. After DHs shoulder surgeries and the plate and screws in my ankle we don’t dance much but certainly miss it.

And back when there was still a captain’s party, the show band played for a half hour or so and there was nice dance music then, too.

Edited by MagnoliaBlossom

As some of you may know, I am quite dyslexic (or as I call it Lysdexic).  When I read the title to this thread I thought it was "bathroom dancing".  Kind of points the thread in a whole new direction!   I was envisioning a woman dancing her butt of and mid dance realizing she had to go badly, but at the same time she really wanted to finish the dance first.  I guess it must have been her favorite dance song. 

• Haha 1