Sun lounger (dis)comfort

cruisinclined

We have sailed Cunard in the past but ran up against the fact that, unlike other premium lines, Cunard fails to offer cushions on sun loungers. With many at sea days we feel this to be a game changer so no longer cruise with Cunard. Other aspects of the ships we liked.

Has anyone managed to solve this dilemma? Or perhaps we are a small minority whose medical conditions cannot cope with the harder surfaces to lie on...

Taking our own smaller cushions on board seems like a trial but, if we do sail Cunard again, may be the only option..

Any thoughts?

I have often seen cushions on promenade deck sun loungers and by the deck 12 Pavilion pool.

Last October the promenade deck cushions seemed in danger of blowing away, and I was surprised to not see them being taken off and stowed in the deck boxes.

You should be able to give the purser's desk a call on a house phone [or ask the bartenders on the Terrace or Pavilion to call] and  get some cushions.

16 hours ago, cruisinclined said:

We have sailed Cunard in the past but ran up against the fact that, unlike other premium lines, Cunard fails to offer cushions on sun loungers. With many at sea days we feel this to be a game changer so no longer cruise with Cunard. Other aspects of the ships we liked.

Has anyone managed to solve this dilemma? Or perhaps we are a small minority whose medical conditions cannot cope with the harder surfaces to lie on...

Taking our own smaller cushions on board seems like a trial but, if we do sail Cunard again, may be the only option..

Any thoughts?

Just ask……. It’s Cunard…
For something quite simple to resolve, doubt if one’s request will be declined.  This will remove the need to wait until one returned, to then raise as an issue on a social media platform.

It depends on ship and location. All ships have padded cushions on the Steamer Chairs on the promenade deck.

Queen Elizabeth and Victoria have sun loungers without cushions on other decks (apart from the Grills Terrace).

IMG_20190918_174648.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Host Hattie said:

It depends on ship and location. All ships have padded cushions on the Steamer Chairs on the promenade deck.

Queen Elizabeth and Victoria have sun loungers without cushions on other decks (apart from the Grills Terrace).

IMG_20190918_174648.jpg

Then, for additional comfort, there are the heavily cushioned (double occupancy) aft rattan style (cabana) loungers, which the OP could also take, if so wished.

Edited by PORT ROYAL
Double occupancy

8 hours ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Then, for additional comfort, there are the heavily cushioned (double occupancy) aft rattan style (cabana) loungers, which the OP could also take, if so wished.

They are not really loungers - more like couches - don't recline 

1 hour ago, lissie said:

They are not really loungers - more like couches - don't recline 

Stand corrected.  
But the OP could arrange the cushions into multiple positions to simulate a lounger, with the half moon footbed positioned, thereby giving options for comfort, which the OP would appreciate on their next Cunard cruise.  Just trying to assist the OP.

7 minutes ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Stand corrected.  
But the OP could arrange the cushions into multiple positions to simulate a lounger, with the half moon footbed positioned, thereby giving options for comfort, which the OP would appreciate on their next Cunard cruise.  Just trying to assist the OP.

Fair enough - I  don't use any of the loungers because they are in areas with no shade  - and I don't sit in the sun to voluntarily get skin cancer!  The old-fashioned wooden ones on the promenade deck which are quite well shaded were much more popular on our hot-weather cruises. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

IMG_20190918_174648.jpg

The Grills Terrace....

GrillsUpperDeck2PortSide.jpg.c1d6faeedab81a14093ca364c102e14b.jpg

GrillsUpperDeck8Fairspacing.jpg.6a800230c41048531fe6b98535e72b73.jpg

9 hours ago, godfreyb said:

The balcony chairs do not have cushions and become really uncomfortable after a while.

Ask one’s Steward…. They will oblige with padded steamer chair covers and/or multiple cushions.  Also deck blankets if required.  A gratuity is always appreciated.

Thank you for these replies.

If we take Grills out of the equation  most comments support my question. and most ship passengers are not Grills.. Steamer chairs, if I recall, do not fully recline and may be difficult to find available.

Thank you for the suggestion of making a special request for cushions and I wonder if any of you have made such a request and what the outcome was? Then leaving such cushioned loungers unattended whether they were quickly bagged. plus having to repeat the process every day if spending time on deck.

I suppose being used to ships, of similar cabin cost, with cushions provided is why we remain reluctant to sail Cunard again. The Cunard age demographic is another factor in favour of cushion provision. Differentiating Grills class from other classes could also be a factor inhibiting availability but not a good one in my view. If Grills passengers need them why not all?

In my experience of around 40 cruises most (perhaps not all) passengers like to spend some deck time relaxing in comfort, reading and dozing, perhaps taking an occasional swim particularly in warmer climates. 

Glad to have asked the question anyway and appreciate the responses to date.

1 hour ago, cruisinclined said:

Thank you for these replies.

If we take Grills out of the equation  most comments support my question. and most ship passengers are not Grills.. Steamer chairs, if I recall, do not fully recline and may be difficult to find available.

Thank you for the suggestion of making a special request for cushions and I wonder if any of you have made such a request and what the outcome was? Then leaving such cushioned loungers unattended whether they were quickly bagged. plus having to repeat the process every day if spending time on deck.

I suppose being used to ships, of similar cabin cost, with cushions provided is why we remain reluctant to sail Cunard again. The Cunard age demographic is another factor in favour of cushion provision. Differentiating Grills class from other classes could also be a factor inhibiting availability but not a good one in my view. If Grills passengers need them why not all?

In my experience of around 40 cruises most (perhaps not all) passengers like to spend some deck time relaxing in comfort, reading and dozing, perhaps taking an occasional swim particularly in warmer climates. 

Glad to have asked the question anyway and appreciate the responses to date.

Stewards have always obliged with cushions, sometimes (when available) steamer chair covers.
Also, personally, after undergoing foot surgery, an additional balcony chair was provided by the Steward [with cushions] to act as a footrest.  Generous gratuity happiness was spread.  Win win all round

Edited by PORT ROYAL
Typo