Scooter questions Caribbean Princess

Cruz4Sun

It's been 3 years since our last cruise.  May 13th will be the first time my DH will be using a mobility scooter on a cruise.  I'm wondering where you are allowed to park the scooter to go to the Princess Theatre, the dining rooms, etc.  My hubby can walk a short distance with my assistance, but that's all. Any tips you have for making our first venture go smoothly will be appreciated.  We are planning on driving to the pier early to hopefully get a good parking spot in the structure and then scootering on over to the terminal.  We are elite and will be in a suite so I hope that might make embarkation easy.  Thanks in advance for your advise.

• Thanks 1

In the dining room you will drive scooter to the table, and the waiter will park it for you. And bring it back when rdy to leave. As for the theater there is a handicapped area at the top. You can park and sit on scooter, or use the seats reserved for you.

Around the ship, bars etc you can park on a wall and walk to nearby seats.

My wife has done this for 3 cruises now.

• Like 1

Your husband can scoot to the table and transfer to a chair.  Your waiter will drive the scooter to a parking area, and retrieve it after the meal (I believe they love doing this, or seem to).  It is a good idea to affix something to the scooter that will distinguish it from other similar scooters.  particularly if you were to rent one.  I understand a keys operate the same scooters.  EM

We are just off the Caribbean Princess Saturday and my wife uses an electric scooter.  You should have no issues at all. Lots of automatic doors, which is so convenient.  Be cautious, though.  Some of the doors, especially near the pool areas, are slow to open, but they will open.

We were also in a suite and there was PLENTY of room for the scooter, just very few outlets, so plan your charging accordingly.

Guardsy, so glad to hear your wife had no issues and about the automatic doors.  Was there any lounges on board that were easy to find a seat and place to put the scooter?  We always like the Wheelhouse lounge, Explorers lounge and Skywalkers.  I looked at photos of Vines and it looks like they only have bar stools and high top chairs, neither of which would work for my DH.

1 minute ago, Cruz4Sun said:

Guardsy, so glad to hear your wife had no issues and about the automatic doors.  Was there any lounges on board that were easy to find a seat and place to put the scooter?  We always like the Wheelhouse lounge, Explorers lounge and Skywalkers.  I looked at photos of Vines and it looks like they only have bar stools and high top chairs, neither of which would work for my DH.

They have standard tables to the right of the bar. Crooners is also a nice place to hang out. My wife parks her scooter by the rail.

Just now, Cruz4Sun said:

Almost all of the bars had a couple of tables that were prepped for wheel chair users.  If not, easy to take away a chair or two.  Now, scooter a bit different as they have the nose on them.  At Crooners, my wife was able to scoot up to the bar, although it was a bit higher than her level, it worked.  Lots of tables/chairs at Crooners as well.  Have fun!

4 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

It is a good idea to affix something to the scooter that will distinguish it from other similar scooters.  particularly if you were to rent one.  I understand a keys operate the same scooters.  EM

Once, on Emerald, there was a gent haranguing the head waiter at the dining room entrance.

Someone has 'stolen' his scooter, while he was eating.

I can understand the confusion, as there were more than a dozen scooters parked outside the dining room.

But, I felt scooby-doo had a good chance of solving this, as the perp was still on board!

This just needs a little sea witch logo!

Park At Your Own Risk Sign | K2K Signs Australia

Edited by Roberto256

If you do bring or rent a scooter, try to make it as small as possible so it can fit through the door to  your room and down the halls when they have all the room attendant carts everywhere.  It can get crowded at times.  I've also noticed some people with scooters having trouble avoiding people's dirty dishes they put out in the hall (different problem) and so having one as narrow as possible (and maybe as light as possible) is a good thing.  I know some people have special needs that require more room and stuff so this is just me making some uninformed recommendations based on what I've seen.

• Like 2

One note regarding access in Explorers, try to use the port side entrance just aft of the elevator banks, you can get to a table much easier than going up the ramp by the bar.  Same for Club Fusion, enter port side.

• Like 2

I'm so glad OP posted this. We just bought DW one along with the lift for the car and will be going on our cruise the end of may. I made sure we got an accessible cabin and the scooter is a small 3 wheeler only 28 inches wide, but I still have my concerns. I labeled it in a lot of areas with our name in areas most wouldn't think to look. But I really do like the idea about adding something to make it stand out. 

20 minutes ago, Moondogy said:

I'm so glad OP posted this. We just bought DW one along with the lift for the car and will be going on our cruise the end of may. I made sure we got an accessible cabin and the scooter is a small 3 wheeler only 28 inches wide, but I still have my concerns. I labeled it in a lot of areas with our name in areas most wouldn't think to look. But I really do like the idea about adding something to make it stand out. 

And this is another situation that an air tag would be most beneficial.  Love this technology.  Place it in a very inconspicuous location.  If you don't have an iphone, they do make this technology for Android phones.  Can't vouch for efficiency.  

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

And this is another situation that an air tag would be most beneficial.  Love this technology.  Place it in a very inconspicuous location.  If you don't have an iphone, they do make this technology for Android phones.  Can't vouch for efficiency.  

I purchased a small souvenir license plate (most likely bought for children's bikes)and attached it to the handlebar basket on my  husband's scooter! It was a good conversation starter and he didn't mind that many people knew his name was Fred!

• Like 1

We were on the Caribbean Princess twice last year and we will be on her again next week.   You won't have much of a problem finding places to park the scooter around the ship.   Just find a wall or spot out of the way.   I frequently drop my husband off at the location we are going to be at (table, chair, etc) and drive his scooter myself to park it if there is no good parking close.  

We love the waiters in the dining rooms driving passengers' scooters to park them.  

You might hop over and scan the Disabled Cruise Travel board.   There are lots of people there with scooters and tips you didn't even know you needed.   

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/114-disabled-cruise-travel/

17 hours ago, Cruz4Sun said:

Vines has a few bench seats near the windows. I find them very uncomfortable though. There is lots of comfortable seating in Skywalkers and it isn’t too busy which might make it easy to find a place for a scooter during the platinum/elite cocktail hour 

Looking forward to going to the platinum cocktail hour with a lovely oceanview from Skywalkers. We used a current promotion for Elites to upgrade from Plus to Premier so I will be looking at the menu for the most expensive glass of wine they offer!

On 4/10/2023 at 3:14 PM, Cruz4Sun said:

We have an accessible suite and also a narrow scooter.  My DH is somewhat concerned about getting on/off elevators but I think most guests will be very courteous and helpful.

At peak dining times and when the shows get out, it's sometimes hard to get a scooter onto an elevator.